Which MPC should I go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoooo

What's good yall...which MPC should I cop? I'm lacking harddd in hardware but I'm trying to make that transition cause I'm tired of using only software and mouse.

So I'd greatly appreciate it if yall could help me out with this

Which MPC should I go with? it'll be my first piece of hardware aside from a midi controller.

Throwing a random one in but which Technics should I check out?

Thanks

Edit: Hmm...I've been looking at NI Maschine for the past hour or so...Hmmm. Should I go with MPC or Maschine?

Last edited:
What do you want to achieve with the sampler?
How long have you been making beats?
What is your budget?
Have you ever tried an mpc?

Just make sure you know what your equipment can do for you before buying anything.

I assume when you are asking about Technics, you are looking for a dj turntable (they do manufacture other stuff too, like hifi turntables and mixers). What do you want to do with it? Only for sampling or do want to start deejaying & scratching? You will also need a dj-mixer for your turntable (Look for Rane ttm's, Ecler hak's, Vestax pmc's, if you want to start scratching).

Technics don't have that many models, google that up.. The sl-1200 (or 1210) mk2 is the one regarded as the standard.

I'd advice staying away from the cheapest turntables and the "dj packages". Technics and Vestax are good.

Here is my humble opinion: If your not a DJ then grab a Numark PT01 with USB. It's belt driven (not for scratching). You can sample from the usb or its outputs with no need for a mixer. The Maschine is probably going to be a better transition for you coming from from just software. I think you would enjoy the hands on capabilities of the controller with the advantage of it's software. You can do the majority of producing strictly on the controller without even looking at your cpu screen. You also can drag and drop tracks into your preferred DAW software. You have to track your tracks out of the MPC which would cause the need of you purchasing an audio interface. That's my 2 cents.

You have to track your tracks out of the MPC which would cause the need of you purchasing an audio interface.
You should have some audio interface even if you are using only software. If you haven't bought one, you are using the integrated interface of your computer.

Having a good interface is essential, if you are serious about your music.

If it have to be a MPC, i would say the 1000, but Maschine seems more like what you need, unless you want to move towards a almost only hardware system. You need a real deal interface. Can't really help with the turntable, other then stay away from those cheapos, i replaced 5 of them before i learn my lesson.

Hey thanks for all replies I went with the 1000 hmm..checking out jjos2 site now

Last edited:
I would recommend NOT buying a MPC. I am debating whether or not I should sell mine.

MPC's are great, but the fact is that they just aren't that handy these days. It is a hell of a lot easier to sequence stuff out on a computer screen than a MPC screen, trust me. And plus, unless you go for a really vintage MPC like a MPC60 or something, the audio quality you'd get from using a computer is going to be as good as if not better than any of them. If you already have a pad midi controller, you're set. All MPC's do is sequence and sample, and the "groove" you get from MPC timing is usually presets in most new software. An Akai MPD32 + any DAW = better than any MPC. That's just a fact. I have a MPC 2000 XL as the "brain" of my rig but all I use it for is some samples and sequencing/synchronizing other gear... the only reason why I am going to stick with my MPC (even though I know its limited) is the fact that I hate using computers for music... it kills my productivity. I use a PC for recording only, but I think you'd be better off just getting an Akai MPK49 midi controller. It's really well built, has keys, nice pads (MPC 1000 pads) plus plenty of knobs and faders. MPC's are outdated these days unless you want a dedicated unit (e.g. getting away from the computer)

I would recommend NOT buying a MPC. I am debating whether or not I should sell mine.

MPC's are great, but the fact is that they just aren't that handy these days. It is a hell of a lot easier to sequence stuff out on a computer screen than a MPC screen, trust me. And plus, unless you go for a really vintage MPC like a MPC60 or something, the audio quality you'd get from using a computer is going to be as good as if not better than any of them. If you already have a pad midi controller, you're set. All MPC's do is sequence and sample, and the "groove" you get from MPC timing is usually presets in most new software. An Akai MPD32 + any DAW = better than any MPC. That's just a fact. I have a MPC 2000 XL as the "brain" of my rig but all I use it for is some samples and sequencing/synchronizing other gear... the only reason why I am going to stick with my MPC (even though I know its limited) is the fact that I hate using computers for music... it kills my productivity. I use a PC for recording only, but I think you'd be better off just getting an Akai MPK49 midi controller. It's really well built, has keys, nice pads (MPC 1000 pads) plus plenty of knobs and faders. MPC's are outdated these days unless you want a dedicated unit (e.g. getting away from the computer)
i was thinking the same thing. I am heavy debating on selling all of my hardware and not fixing my mpc. I already own Reason and have for years and its just a lot easier

I am still going to stick with my MPC for now, and give it a lot more thought, but I'd really like to avoid using the PC. Plus, if you go the MPC route you are obviously going to need something to record it with (oh wait, cant you just bounce a song to the pc via usb?), you will probably need an audio interface with at least 1 set of stereo inputs. When you start buying gear, it becomes more and more addictive... I'd recommend sticking with software and midi controllers unless you have a specific need... hardware synths kick vst's asses, but for just a sampler/sequencer, MPC's just aren't necessary anymore. I hate to admit it.

Last edited:
i was thinking the same thing. I am heavy debating on selling all of my hardware and not fixing my mpc. I already own Reason and have for years and its just a lot easier

Really? I wouldnt sell it if you dont have to. Just put it in the closet of something and bring it out when you ready to switch it up.

Hey banana thanks for the post. Have you checked out NI Maschine? sounds like it's perfect for ya man

to the pc via usb?)

I don't know but I'd like to know

you will probably need an audio interface with at least 1 set of stereo inputs.

Do I still need these if I can transfer a song to PC via USB?

When you start buying gear, it becomes more and more addictive...

Aw man, I'm broke as a joke at the moment.

The only hardware I currently own is KORG NS5R, M-Audio Keystation 88ES. and a MPC1000. Looking to pick up turntables in the near future along with studio monitors...I originally started out with software so, yeah. I'll want to get a Maschine too...

I'd recommend sticking with software and midi controllers unless you have a specific need...

This is a good idea without a doubt, maybe I can get the best of both worlds by using the MPC1000 for the drums and do a bit of the editing in a DAW.

Does MPC1000 work with FL Studio? maybe it's time for me to pick up a different DAW(I stopped producing late last year because I was damn tired of using JUST the mouse, a DAW, and a Keystation 88ES)

MPC's just aren't necessary anymore. I hate to admit it.

You very well may be right my man. We're in a new millenium with new technology just waiting for us to take advantage of it. Back then the MPC was top notch, but today we have NI Maschine which is revolutionary in my opinion.

Had the NI Maschine been around the same time as the MPC was blowing up, do you think people would've went the Maschine or AKAI MPC?

Last edited:
Had the NI Maschine been around the same time as the MPC was blowing up, do you think people would've went the Maschine or AKAI MPC?

Man this is an excellent question! If people answer it honestly then it should make a lot of their concerns about Maschine's capabilities go away.

Honestly I don't know too much about Maschine. From what little I know about it, it more or less seems like a fancy MPC-styled midi controller. Am I wrong here?

Honestly I don't know too much about Maschine. From what little I know about it, it more or less seems like a fancy MPC-styled midi controller. Am I wrong here?

You should really check out what it does, its not so much a controller, its a integrated groove workstation. MPD, Korg Pad Kontrol, Trigger finger, those are controllers. Maschine is the next level of what a groove box/Beat Machine should be in 2010.

But what exactly does it do that sets it apart from midi controllers? Is it some sort of special hands-on abilities? In your own words, what makes Maschine worth buying?

But what exactly does it do that sets it apart from midi controllers? Is it some sort of special hands-on abilities? In your own words, what makes Maschine worth buying?

Think about some of the limitations of a midi controller. Most midi controllers do not allow you manually slice samples using its pads and knobs. Up until now you have always had to use the mouse/ascii keyboard in order to slice a sample in the software world. Maschine allows you to work with samples the same way you would on say an MPC or Modern Sampling workstation keyboard, editing/slicing, truncating, all mouse free.

Midi controllers do not allow you the ability to browse and swap sounds from their interface. There doesn't exist any midi controllers that can read out to you what sound you are currently using and then use it's display and knobs to find a new sound you are looking for, while never touching a mouse to do so. Changing sounds has always been a mouse+ Ascii Keyboard operation, even if you had the best midi controller on the market. Maschine has a dedicated browser for quickly finding sounds, editing your sounds and replacing your sounds without touching the mouse.

Midi controllers dont typically have a read out that tells you the exact name of the parameter you are controlling in all contexts. Even with things like the Axiom pro or Novation Automap, it is highly limited in what the display will actually tell you concerning a button or knob's function at any given point. With midi controllers, they are static, they can only control a software instrument in one context, or state. As soon as you change the state of the software ie switch from the main screen to an edit screen, many of your static controls no longer apply unless you create another template/preset in your midi controller editor. With Maschine all of the controllers have a use regardless of the context/menu. This means no matter what menu in Maschine you go into, Maschine will tell you which knobs and buttons control each function. You dont have to program 5 different control presets for Maschine because it automatically adjusts itself based on the menu context.

Midi controllers don't sample nor sequence. Maschine is a groove box, it has an internal sequencer for making beats, just as a Motif, MPC, or any other workstation has. This internal sequencer can control midi instruments as well as internal sounds and instruments. Think about how a Motif internal sequencer works. The Motif can sequence its own internal sounds, but it also can control and SEQUENCE external instruments. Maschine does the exact same thing. Midi controllers require that you use a separate application to handle the sampling. This means you have a controller that is made by one company, controlling a sampling program made by another company that is totally unrelated. There is a very low level of integration that is possible with this type of relationship. Most controls and intricacies are lost in the midi controller-software sampler interfacing. Maschine has a dedicated software that it has close 100% integration with, meaning that all the functions of the sampler are controlled from Maschine's hardware.

Maschine is software+hardware with almost 100% integration. Imagine opening up Fruity loops with your midi controller connected to it, and then being able to finish your whole beat without ever touching the mouse nor ascii keyboard. Right now thats not possible, you have to touch the mouse ALOT, and you certain have to use the ascii keyboard, especially if you want some sort of speed in your workflow. Maschine allows you to work without using a mouse and keyboard for most commands. This is pretty unprecedented in the world of computers.

So let me get this straight - it's not a standalone unit, correct? It must be used with a PC? If that's so, I can't justify spending that much money when it seems like I could do just as much with a midi controller. Why would I need to manually slice samples using the pads and knobs if I am already working with a computer? It's a hell of a lot faster to use a mouse for that sort of thing. Being able to browse and swap sounds from the interface is cool, I do admit. But it seems to me that since you are already stuck in front of a computer anyway, it's not THAT big of an advantage, because honestly how long does it take to swap a sample? I do like how each page of Maschine has dedicated controls, but when I use a midi controller on the computer, I always have at least two schemes saved.. one for actually working within the DAW, and another mapping set up for live use / jamming. And what is the point of it having an internal sequencer if once again we are already hooked up to a PC? Seems to me that I could just have a midi controller set up with mutes, effects sends, etc and rock out. And if there is a very low level of integration between midi controllers made by one company and software made by another, how is there any market for midi controllers today? By that logic it seems as though midi controllers wouldn't even exist right now, when they are probably selling better than ever right now. It seems to me like Maschine is kinda gimmicky to be honest. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying that it seems kinda dumb to buy a controller/instrument such as Maschine, as it does have a hands-on interface, yet needs to be connected to a PC and has features that are redundant when working on a PC (midi sequencing, sampling, etc...) It's like the price of a MPC with all the annoyances of working on a computer... lose-lose for me.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight - it's not a standalone unit, correct? It must be used with a PC? If that's so, I can't justify spending that much money when it seems like I could do just as much with a midi controller. Why would I need to manually slice samples using the pads and knobs if I am already working with a computer? It's a hell of a lot faster to use a mouse for that sort of thing. Being able to browse and swap sounds from the interface is cool, I do admit. But it seems to me that since you are already stuck in front of a computer anyway, it's not THAT big of an advantage, because honestly how long does it take to swap a sample? I do like how each page of Maschine has dedicated controls, but when I use a midi controller on the computer, I always have at least two schemes saved.. one for actually working within the DAW, and another mapping set up for live use / jamming. And what is the point of it having an internal sequencer if once again we are already hooked up to a PC? Seems to me that I could just have a midi controller set up with mutes, effects sends, etc and rock out. And if there is a very low level of integration between midi controllers made by one company and software made by another, how is there any market for midi controllers today? By that logic it seems as though midi controllers wouldn't even exist right now, when they are probably selling better than ever right now. It seems to me like Maschine is kinda gimmicky to be honest. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying that it seems kinda dumb to buy a controller/instrument such as Maschine, as it does have a hands-on interface, yet needs to be connected to a PC and has features that are redundant when working on a PC (midi sequencing, sampling, etc...) It's like the price of a MPC with all the annoyances of working on a computer... lose-lose for me.

Midi controllers have a market because people dont like using the mouse for many things music related. Low level of integration is better than nothing for many of us. Its obvious that people dont want to use the mouse because so many people buy midi controllers. Again too much of your argument based around the midi controller idea. Maschine is Beat Production workstation. It doesnt live in the same spectrum as a midi controller. It lives in the same spectrum as say an RS7000, SP404, MPC 2500, MC 909 etc. Brand New, Maschine is the price of an mpc 500 Brand New, lets be fair (Used will vary just as anything else used).

In your argument, you say that Maschine is redundant...realistically an MPC is redundant to what a computer/DAW does. There is nothing that an MPC does functionally, that is not possible on the computer with a DAW. That being said Maschine's workflow is leagues beyond the workflow possible using an MPC with a computer. Maschine's workflow is well beyond the workflow possible with a midi controller and a computer. Maschine is about hands on, fast workflow.

Really? I wouldnt sell it if you dont have to. Just put it in the closet of something and bring it out when you ready to switch it up.
I may do that also. I have been jumping back and forth on the matter. Its a big part of the Reason I haven't sold my Trinity rack. I love the sound but haven't used it in a long time. A lot of my hardware has been that way except for my EPS. I just started playing with Reason again with just samples and on my faster machine than I used to have the workflow is a lot better. Especially for something like loading drums and chopping samples. For now i am not jumping the gun

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Man this is an excellent question! If people answer it honestly then it should make a lot of their concerns about Maschine's capabilities go away.
If machine came out 10 years ago there would be no more mpc series it would have ended with the 1000 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back