Which midi keyboard for under 300 $ ?

Evalution7

I am trying to decide between the M-Audio Oxygen Series 61 Ignite MIDI Controller and the M-Audio Axiom 49 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller. I am on a budget but i'm willing to pay more if the more expensive one which would be the axiom would be better. Also, are the drum pads necessary to have or not ?

says a non-keyboard player!

- if you want to be able to play a reasonable range of notes, getting the 61 key (5 octave) keyboard is important
- you will need to rely less on octave switching with a larger number of keys, meaning that you do not have to stop and reorganise your hands, etc

the drum pads are probably useful, as will the other controls on the keyboard

Last edited:
Even though I wouldn't technically call myself a keyboard player (all though I use one every day and have done so for years) I can vouch for what bandcoach is saying. I've got a keyboard with 49 Keys and it's just little enough that I find myself having to change it an octave up or down every now and then. The 61 keys makes quite the big difference in this case, so if I would choose a new midi keyboard all over again I'd definitely go for one with at least 61 keys.

different strokes for different folks

the drum pads do not have to be played with just fingers, i.e. you can use real drum sticks to get a better drummer-like feel if you can cope with playing on such a small interface - I'd prefer something like th old Roland octapads or an electronic kit interface, but each to their own

one time my dad actually asked why i use the mouse or drumpad instead of the piano.Dude, i can not use a piano for drums.never was able to get used to that.
same thing with using a drumpad as a piano.Also can't do that :/ especially since mine is semi-weighted, can't go fast

says a non-keyboard player!

- if you want to be able to play a reasonable range of notes, getting the 61 key (5 octave) keyboard is important
- you will need to rely less on octave switching with a larger number of keys, meaning that you do not have to stop and reorganise your hands, etc

the drum pads are probably useful, as will the other controls on the keyboard

I am a keyboard player. But, if you're on a budget, then a bigger MIDI keyboard is not crucial. After all, if it's MIDI we're talking about here, then you can just write it in.

Back