Where do you get your inspiration?

For me its always when I'm watching someone who ISNT famous killing it in a performance.

If I ever need inspiration ill just watch (and this is embarrassing haha) The Voice or Americas Got Talent or something like that for an episode. Always inspires me seeing normal people give amazing performances.

For me its always when I'm watching someone who ISNT famous killing it in a performance.

If I ever need inspiration ill just watch (and this is embarrassing haha) The Voice or Americas Got Talent or something like that for an episode. Always inspires me seeing normal people give amazing performances.
haha that is actually the strangest thing I have heard for getting inspiration, but whatever works for you. I personally hate those shows because they are just trying to create money machines and most of the people on it just want to be stars and dont seem to be willing to put in work for it but this is a whole different debate for another thread...
I find inspiration for music ideas by watching beat making videos, listening to music I dont normally listen to, digging for obsecure samples (or sampling in general really) and then if I just need inspiration to actually knuckle down and do something I find interviews with artists and producers I admire helps a lot. Also the album 'Madvillainy' or 'Mm... food' gives me inspiration ha.

I don't particularly rap, but my inspiration for production is Anime. I'll throw on some Samurai Champloo and get down!

From the things i love and the things i most hate the most.everything from nature,relationships, family,sinning,depression and overcoming that mental state,world issues,ect.. hope this helped.

-Gus

originally posted by larryashly (sadly banned)

Igor Stravinsky had this to say about inspiration. "An accident is perhaps the only thing that really inspires us"" he writes in his Poetics of Music" written at Harvard in 1942. "A composer improvises aimlessly the way an animal grubs about. Both of them go grubbing because they yield to a compulsion to seek things out...he is in his quest for pleasure" (p55) Whoa. Did you get that? Accidents. Pleasure. We exert effort looking for that shred of musical illumination, digging and sifting through debris until something tweaks us internally and we realize we have stumbled on something oh-so-infinitely cool. What? The world reknown creator of The Rite of Spring says its all a happy accident!? Is it that simple? What does this mean?

As an artist your job is to work and not wait for inspiration. The person that listens to the final product is supposed to get inspired, but not you.

Last edited:
yes, Stravinsky encourages us to search out new ideas though his use of the phrase grubbing is perhaps a little too poetic (and possibly a poor translation of either his French or Russian)

Consider Beethoven, whose work we know took many a twist and windy path before being committed to paper: he sought to work out his musical problems by exploring possibilities until he found the ones that worked best and gelled with his musical imagination

Ralph Vaughan Williams had this to say about the art of being a composer/creator; If being a composer is my job then I must keep office hours. I must work whether I want to or not, it is by the act of working constantly and consistently that I can find my way to my inspiration

he did not advocate mindless meanderings in search of inspiration, instead his suggestion was that you need to work at your craft

- then it meant studying harmony, melody, arranging, orchestrating, etc;

-now it means studying your daw, your plug-ins, your eq, your fx, your instruments, as well as the tasks of harmony, melody, arranging and orchestration

as a lyricist it means studying words, meter, rhyme, scansion

What inspires me is the thought of making something timeless, unique and pure. It's like I wanna have the same effect my favorite artist had on me, except it actually is ME. The idea of making something that stands on its own that no one else can **** with. Just the longevity music can have if its pure inspires me. If any of you know what I'm talking about.

I get my inspiration listening to other peoples music. then when i like a phraze i just "steal" it and start writing a song around that. when the song is finished it has been rewritten so many times that none of the original phraze is there anymore...

also i like writing looking out the window during a long train ride

I just try to write down what im feeling actually or something in a situation in the live, which maybe more people had made experience

Haha hey man, Im actually new to this site so sorry if I'm doing anything wrong.
But for me, i look at whats going on in my surrounding, whats going on in society. I'm pretty new at recording so I don't really know how to edit and what not, but I have been writing for a while now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of things inspire me. Usually it's listening to an amazing song or album, but tutorial videos inspire me to. Day-to-Day life can inspire me strongly as well.

This isn't really about inspiration so much as letting the creativity flow; I've been fascinated recently with the "key drop" method of sparking yourself up. Essentially fall to sleep with something to wake you up the instant you fall into a hypnagogic state and have something to write on the instant you wake up and just capture what's happening in your head. I find this works best after a intense/long session of trying to write and being stuck.

Read more about it:
How Dali, Einstein, And Aristotle Perfected The Power Nap | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

Ralph Vaughan Williams had this to say about the art of being a composer/creator; If being a composer is my job then I must keep office hours. I must work whether I want to or not, it is by the act of working constantly and consistently that I can find my way to my inspiration

he did not advocate mindless meanderings in search of inspiration, instead his suggestion was that you need to work at your craft

You always find interesting things to post. I think he was wrong on not advocating mindless meanderings, the whole process of creativity needs a wandering mind imo. The way i view it is that learning all the ways in which to do your craft is like perfecting equipment like a camera and lens to view the world through or a filter/modifier for your creativity so when it spills out of you you have learned a way to mold it into something useful. Without allowing your mind to wander randomly you will never find anything to capture with the camera you've worked hard to make. However wandering through your mind if it's empty is a waste of time.

Back