What's the best plugin to have that realistic piano's sound?

ProdlemBeatz

like this one for example.. i have Nexus & Purity but i feel like the piano's sounds are too thin and not realistic.. should i layer different pianos? same octaves?

Both of those vsti's you listed do NOT have a thin sound to them. For one they are already good to go. It sounds like you have a problem with mixing. When I open up Purity that first piano sound is dope. It's got to be your mixing skills.

Last edited:
Layering is the key but of course u need good libires to begin with.

Look into Ivory, truepiano, alicia keys

Give us some audio examples of you using these libraries so that we can compare and contrast "what you got" with "what you want"

I will be honest with you - I think it comes back not just to the library but also whether the parts are truly pianistic - written like they could be played directly at the piano with no interim guessing by the player - If you play piano you know what works and what doesn't and you tend to avoid certain types of writing - it may simply be a case of you need to learn to play the keys before trying to write for the keys

Isn't this song produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League? If so, the piano sounds authentic because it is authentic. These guys are real musicians.

Nexus and Purity are both absolutely "thin" in the department of REAL PIANO SOUNDS. I'll go as far as to say even TruePianos indeed falls short. Not sure how anyone can debate that with a pair of ears. They're comparable to workstation keyboard Piano patches, but nothing close to the real thing. There are plenty of dedicated sample libraries that focus on Piano. You're gonna want one modeled off the specific grand piano of your choice.

Miroslav Philharmonik has a nice Steinway Grand, Pro Tools and Logic come with decent(but not great)stock Piano patches, Kontakt has tons of libraries dedicated to specified pianos. But you will not get a good realistic piano without a dedicated library. There are alot of patches where corners are cut that absolutely take away from overall realism. But, beleive it or not, Piano is one of the few live instruments that when recorded right can be emulated in a sampler so well you would not be able to tell the difference between a real one and a sampled patch even with the most advanced progressions and articulations.

Last edited:
NI Giant (sick upright piano)
EWQL Platinum Pianos (Speaks for itself)
NI Komplete 8 Ulimate (Plenty of sick pianos to choose from)
NI Alicia Keys (These are awesome as well)

One that I use often is "True Piano" I like it a lot. One of my go to's

I would layer up some more realistic pianos to get what your going for.

Last edited:
Cosine on the Miroslav Phil Steinway

Also the pianos in Komplete (although I would be leery of using Alicias keys as they strike me as either a bad set of samples or sampled from a bad piano (not sure which, but each time i use it, I am left felling somewhat saddened by the experience)

There are also some great pianos in the Garritan GPO and JaBB sets ($149 each for a complete set of sounds, so worth every penny and then some).

I remember the Akai s900 had a great piano sample set - really rocked and hard to tell the difference from the real thing - I had access to several Steinways and a Yamaha grand to compare this to and never felt that this sample set was lacking except perhaps in the damped pp and lower range

Cosine on the Miroslav Phil Steinway

Also the pianos in Komplete (although I would be leery of using Alicias keys as they strike me as either a bad set of samples or sampled from a bad piano (not sure which, but each time i use it, I am left felling somewhat saddened by the experience)

There are also some great pianos in the Garritan GPO and JaBB sets ($149 each for a complete set of sounds, so worth every penny and then some).

I remember the Akai s900 had a great piano sample set - really rocked and hard to tell the difference from the real thing - I had access to several Steinways and a Yamaha grand to compare this to and never felt that this sample set was lacking except perhaps in the damped pp and lower range

Nice tips, I don't have those yet. :D

I dig the Alicia keys from NI, though I'm making dark music so its pretty fitting for what I need.

Will check the ones you mentioned as well.

Back