What music instruments have you played in your lifetime ? Do you still play ??

D

DJ-Social App

Would love to hear some stories about your past or current musical instrument learning. Did you keep playing ? or did you stop & why ?

Trumpet, Guitar, Drums. still play drums everyday, weather its set or just snare. Be playing in the macy's day parade next year if everything goes as planned :)

Piano/Keyboard, Clarinet, Guitar, Drums and other percussion, Tin Whistle/Irish Flute (hey its an instrument), Dulcimer, Autoharp. I still own my clarinet and tin whistle I play around with once in a while but as far as clarinet goes there is no venue at all for that here and I am used to playing that in a full concert band setting (HS, all district, etc), and I don't know how to play it jazz style. I still play my guitars but I just play those for fun - I'm not good enough to really use it much in making anything people would want to hear, haha, but I have a blast playing by myself. I've never owned my own drumset, just played some in HS band at pep rallies and stuff. The dulcimer and autoharp was just playing around on ones owned by my parents when I was a kid and nothing serious. Only thing I use in my music is a MIDI controller, instrument wise. I don't consider myself good enough at keyboard to play along with other people live either, I'll stick to recording. Only thing I was ever proficient at was clarinet and those days are gone.

Trumpet, Guitar, Drums. still play drums everyday, weather its set or just snare. Be playing in the macy's day parade next year if everything goes as planned :)

I played at that parade. You have to get there at like 2 a.m., and it's damn cold out.

As for instruments.. Trumpet in school band and jazz combo, but not much anymore. Last time I picked it up, I realized my chops were sadly gone. I was pretty good at it, too. Guitar and Bass everyday, and in a band. Keys everyday. And I recently got a Ukelele.

too many (literally thousands once you include the percussion family)

guitar, bass guitar, upright bass, cello, trumpet, trombone, saxes (alt, tenor, soprano), flute, banjo, mandolin, viola, drumkit, orchestral percussion (the whole 9 yards: timpani, drums, cymbals, hand percussion) latin percussion: congas, timbales, bongos, etc, keys, tin whistle, recorder. Own most of the above (no cello or upright bass)

started learning guitar and bass when I was 14 (1977) and have added a few every year or so since - pretty good as an orchestral percussionist (all but pro level and could have done more if I weren't so goddamn lazy). good enough on most to teach to intermediate level, to advanced on guitar and bass and drumkit - read notation fluently in all four clefs (treble, alto tenor, bass) and percussion clef.

never regretted learning any of this.

Would love to hear some stories about your past or current musical instrument learning. Did you keep playing ? or did you stop & why ?

Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Trombone, Piano, Sax, Clarinet, Flute, Guitar, Bass Guitar.

The first six, I studied seriously, the others I just play for fun. My speciality is violin and I fell into singing as a teenager. I still play the violin, cello and piano for work, and the guitars for songwriting and occasional gigs. I had guitar lessons for a year when I was 3, but consider myself self-taught, as I only picked it up again in my teens. The strings and piano I studied under a classical tutor, same with trombone, but I taught myself the wind instruments.

Last edited:
Never "studied" anything.

In order of how well i play....

Drum sequencer/sampler(if you count it as an instrument)I can pull an "arabb muzik" on an MPC. Doesn't take as much talent as it does timing, but it seems to impress anyone around when I do it. I put this above everything else because with an MPC my lack of coordination doesn't stand out as much.

Any string/bowed instrument I've sat in front of for 10 minutes(prefer solo violin/viola because basses and section stuff is gonna be simpler and rely on me interacting with others...which more than likely means READING MUSIC WHICH I CANNOT DO). Have played in orchestra sections without being able to read the sheet music. I am a fan of orchestral music and know alot of it fairly well. Coordination isn't the best, so i like being able to 'wing it" more than i like having to keep at a pace. When you "wing it" you can make a slip sound like it was supposed to happen.

Can play any keyboard based instrument(including pipe organ)I've sat in front of for more than 10 minutes(can play keys by ear). Have played live in churches and a few small events, but my coordination isn't the best so i prefer the ability to quantize and edit(better in a studio environment)

Can play guitar(bass/lead) enough to get a few licks and riffs out that work great in the music I make, but with the sample patches available today, don't waste time with the real thing much at all.

Can play simple patterns on live drums but nothing impressive at all. The step kick will get in my way as soon as i try to get into anything advance(that coordination again).

I'm better at drawing than I am at creating music. I'm a better engineer than producer. I'm a better producer than live instrumentalist. I can't sing a lick. :cheers:

Last edited:
Sax. I played it in band in elementary to high school. Was an awesome player....Kenny G can sit down some where.

Pawned my sax to get a sack.

Last edited:
Piano/keyboard and some organ are my mains. I can hold down some simple songs on bass and have the basic concept of drums down but haven't put in the time to actually learn drums.

Started out playing classical piano, had teachers, learned theory, etc. Reached my teen years and got into jazz, gospel, r&b.

Playing keyboard is my main source of income, I play with a church and a band. I've been recording with a couple of bands and of course use my keyboarding when producing my own music.

The Plastic flute... smh. :'(
I can click melodies though lol. I'm going to take guitar lessons as soon as I have time. I think I can learn the piano on my own for some reasons lol.

I am a producer/musician that plays guitar, bass, drums, keyboard and makes BEATS. I offer mixing services, custom beat making and record artists in my home studio.

Back