What happens if your song starts to get big but you didn't pay for the beat?

as gj says obliquely:

theft is theft

no matter how you slice it

Unlike other crimes related to theft (shoplifiting, etc) there are no special circumstances or time served or other get-out-trouble loopholes - you will get hit with the full weight of the courts and have to pay for what you did - if you are happy with advice that suggests that you should wait until it becomes an issue then I have nice bridge here in Sydney that I'd like to sell you........

Last edited:
LOL bra says just roll with it nobody cares...I think the guy who still lives with his mom working at mcdonalds while he watches some dude on tv making millions off his beat would start to care eventually..

I see I got a lot of hate for saying nobody cares but realistically no one does... I provided a prime example with the whole trinidad james situation.. now you provide me an example with a producer suing and you can easily win.. but until then.. just shut up

- This is why they say its more then music because without paper work, you ain't working for paper. Thats Real!!!

If anyone should "shut up," it's those that give bad, uninformed, completely WRONG ADVICE.

GJ

Not trying to defend Swag, but i think he was implying "no one cares until the song blows up"?

Example, when "All Gold" took off Trinidad surely reached out to the producer and smoothed things over. If Bauer had done the same, he would have been ok, but his song was out of control before he could go find everyone.

Big Sean protected himself by simply leaking the song "Control" and waiving any rights to profit, but I'm surprised as big as that song was that the original song owners haven't come up with a way to sue for that.

In the end, if you're moving up off a song you don't have all the rights to, you should get permission for anything you don't own before it's too late to negotiate.

leaving all other thoughts aside on this

Harlem Shake and the failure to clear samples - Harlem Shake (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your talking about sampling.. the threadstarter said a beat sir....

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Not trying to defend Swag, but i think he was implying "no one cares until the song blows up"?

Example, when "All Gold" took off Trinidad surely reached out to the producer and smoothed things over. If Bauer had done the same, he would have been ok, but his song was out of control before he could go find everyone.

Big Sean protected himself by simply leaking the song "Control" and waiving any rights to profit, but I'm surprised as big as that song was that the original song owners haven't come up with a way to sue for that.

In the end, if you're moving up off a song you don't have all the rights to, you should get permission for anything you don't own before it's too late to negotiate.

smoothed things over as in what? i don't think the producer saw money from that.. but who knows how it works exactly? i mean personally i'd try and sue.. but do you have the time and $$ for all that..

Back