What Can MPC do that Maschine can't?

I am looking forward to the Kronos to try one out. I am a lover of all 3, Korg Yamaha, and Roland. Its always a tough choice. I sold my Karma a while back, and replaced it with a Motif XS, but kept my Fantom X rack for now.

When hardware like an MPC becomes a legacy product you can still use it.

Sure you can still use a legacy computer product, but without support you might also need a legacy computer with a legacy operating system to make it work and you rely on good will as far as your license is concerned.

For the record, the Beta Team lists all the team members. 1 or 2 are simply forum members, others work for 3rd party companies that make sound libraries, and others that work for Akai. This is true with any product. And yes, NI has a public beta testing team and you do have to register for it.
LOL Keep digging yourself into a hole.

Maschine's sequencer can't compete with any of the leading MPCs in my opinion. MPCs timing is better, quantization and swing is better. It does everything you need a hardware sequencer to do. Maschine's sequencer is OK. Not bad. Not exceptionally good.

I own a akai mpc 3000 and an akai mpc 1000. worked with the 3k fore many many years. The swing on the 3000 Is unique because its not perfect. This is a mishap in the calculation when you do things in double time that makes that swing noticeable. You can get results on anything. I've done it in Reason,,sonar,, Mpc 1000... pro tools. You can get the same exact feel in maschine. If you really wanna get picky you can snag the groove from the mpcs midi file and there its yours to use any anything you have. You can apply it to any drum loop or composition. Most people can't tell between something being swung and something just simply played live. They end up calling the unquantized composition the mpc swing.

I own a akai mpc 3000 and an akai mpc 1000. worked with the 3k fore many many years. The swing on the 3000 Is unique because its not perfect. This is a mishap in the calculation when you do things in double time that makes that swing noticeable. You can get results on anything. I've done it in Reason,,sonar,, Mpc 1000... pro tools. You can get the same exact feel in maschine. If you really wanna get picky you can snag the groove from the mpcs midi file and there its yours to use any anything you have. You can apply it to any drum loop or composition. Most people can't tell between something being swung and something just simply played live. They end up calling the unquantized composition the mpc swing.

Maschine is not like an MPC which is why there are MPC groove templates out there for Maschine. For someone to take an MPC MIDI file to load into Maschine is proof that they feel a need to import the "magic" that isn't possible with Maschine.

Of course, I don't believe I can listen to a beat and determine what drum machine it was created on. But I do know that when I am programming on different machines, I can determine which is better at sequencing drums. I find an MPC is better....I am especially fond of the MPC 2000 as being just a great and solid sequencer minus all the "bells and whistles" of its brothers.

Last edited:
Maschine is not like an MPC which is why there are MPC groove templates out there for Maschine. For someone to take an MPC MIDI file to load into Maschine is proof that they feel a need to import the "magic" that isn't possible with Maschine.
LOL Spreading misinformation as usual. There are no "MPC groove templates" for Maschine. Nobody loads MPC midi files into Maschine. There is no magical exclusive "MPC swing". Just ask Roger Linn.

When hardware like an MPC becomes a legacy product you can still use it.

Sure you can still use a legacy computer product, but without support you might also need a legacy computer with a legacy operating system to make it work and you rely on good will as far as your license is concerned.
Newsflash: "Hardware" like MPCs are also computers that run on a CPU, OS and software, just very limited proprietary ones.

Besides, MPCs are notorious for dying pads, screens, buttons...etc. and there are already parts that are no longer made for older models like the MPC2k's screen. And Numark is letting all MPCs die out, already having discontinued most of them. Akai's website no longer even sells any new MPCs anymore and they only have the refurbished MPC1000 for sale. In other words, MPCs are destined to be a dead format by it's very nature.

Maschine, on the other hand, will outlive such dead hardware due to its modular approach that doesn't have to rely on any specific hardware.

There are MPC groove templates out there. Do a quick internet search and you will find them. Maschine users have been attempting to modify them to use with their DAW/Maschine. Just because you are unaware how to do this doesn't mean they don't exist. As I said before, google it and you will find...the come back and apologize.

Roger Linn didn't tell you jack about the MPC swing. lol Nearly every drum machine, keyboard workstation, DAW, etc has a swing or groove function. Some may use different terms. But they all try to accomplish the same thing. However, the MPC just does a better job at it and numerous manufacturers try to emulate it with no success. If you are just using software, you can use one the latest Akai MPDs or keyboard controllers which has the MPCs note repeat and swing.

MPCs are not notorious for breaking down...outside of the old MPC 1000 pad design. But like all hardware products, eventually they will need repair. MPC 2000s were produced nearly 15 years ago and still in use today.

The MPC 2500 has been discontinued. The MPC 500, 1000, and 5000 are not. People have been predicting the decline of MPCs and hardware for over a decade. Yet, hardware is still being produced (just bought a Korg Kronos). Maschine is cheap new product that will appeal to you guys looking to do things on a budget. But it does nothing that you can't do with a drum pad controller and a DAW (that everyone has) or an MPC. The concept of Maschine (an MPC whose OS resides on a computer) is cool. But Maschine's software is weak. Maschine's hardware is no better than any hardware controller on the market. If you want to buy Maschine...cool. It produces music...and the fact of the matter is I own it. So I know exactly what you get when you use one.

Newsflash: "Hardware" like MPCs are also computers that run on a CPU, OS and software, just very limited proprietary ones.

Besides, MPCs are notorious for dying pads, screens, buttons...etc. and there are already parts that are no longer made for older models like the MPC2k's screen. And Numark is letting all MPCs die out, already having discontinued most of them. Akai's website no longer even sells any new MPCs anymore and they only have the refurbished MPC1000 for sale. In other words, MPCs are destined to be a dead format by it's very nature.

Maschine, on the other hand, will outlive such dead hardware due to its modular approach that doesn't have to rely on any specific hardware.

Yes a hardware sampler is a computer with an operating system however the OS version of the sampler does not have to be compatible with the OS version of a computer system, because it's self contained, so a sampler from the 80's will work with a modern DAW without requiring an old Atari of the same vintage just so you can use it, now a product like Maschine is not self contained, it relies on software that must be compatible with the host computers operating system, you get that?, it needs constant support by way of updates to continue to keep up with any updates made to the host computer.

Hardware is subject to physical wear, that goes for the maschine controller too, the switches (buttons and pads) will not last for ever, they will require replacing, and as far as legacy products go the MPC has had enough interest to warrant the manufacture of 3rd party replacement parts.

How do you know how long Maschine will last for? I have seen lot's of shit die and go legacy, ground breaking shit too, like Opticode Studio Vision (first audio and MIDI recording app) what about Nemesys Gigasampler (first software sampler to do disk streaming) ReBirth a bunch of shit from Native Instruments including the popular B4 Hammond organ emulation, then there was the time Apple acquired Logic and killed the PC version.

When hardware goes legacy you can still use it and it has value.

Of course, I don't believe I can listen to a beat and determine what drum machine it was created on. But I do know that when I am programming on different machines, I can determine which is better at sequencing drums. I find an MPC is better....I am especially fond of the MPC 2000 as being just a great and solid sequencer minus all the "bells and whistles" of its brothers.

There are groove templates because templates and presets are a lot easier to slap on than tweaking your swing settings. Prime example... the 3000's 66% swing and Reason's 66% swing don't swing the same. So I have to adjust the settings on Reason (swing amount, tick etc) to get it to swing the same but it can be done (that's my point).

when i program stuff on the 3000, maschine, reason, rs7000 etc I don't have problem with the swing, the grooves sound the same

Maybe I should retest the swing on both units and upload it for everyone?

Good little read on the mpcs grid http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112948

pretty much what i was trying to say just didn't know the technical terms

Last edited:
There are MPC groove templates out there. Do a quick internet search and you will find them. Maschine users have been attempting to modify them to use with their DAW/Maschine.
LOL So at first you lie and say that "there are MPC groove templates out there for Maschine" and now you backpedal and say "there are MPC groove templates out there" and mention the use of a DAW.

And yet another outright lie:
For someone to take an MPC MIDI file to load into Maschine is proof that they feel a need to import the "magic" that isn't possible with Maschine.
So show me the proof of someone takes a MPC MIDI file and load into Maschine. There isn't because you can't load midi files into Maschine as it wasn't designed to load and play back midi files. And of course you're now going to claim that someone might load those MIDI files into their DAW and record the MIDI into Maschine and pretend that's anywhere remotely close to what you tried to mislead people about.

The existence of "MPC groove templates" only proves that there is a deeply entrenched myth about MPC's swing being magical exclusive.

From Roger Linn himself:
"There’s a lot more voodoo in the press than actually exists. Even on my earliest drum machines, all I did was make sure my samples were trimmed tightly and wrote my software so that the software responds tightly. Swing is just a matter of accurate percentages."
"My bag of tricks is basically taking away all the stuff the software sequencers give you."
"Back then, in the earlier days, sequencers just weren’t very good for timing because the OS would always get in the way. These days, you can get great swing if you know what you’re doing."
"There’s no other trick than that. I think it’s pretty easy for most people to get a good groove."
The Father of Drum Machines and the Father of MIDI Talk About Design and the Tempest

Maschine is cheap new product that will appeal to you guys looking to do things on a budget. But it does nothing that you can't do with a drum pad controller and a DAW (that everyone has) or an MPC.
Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

now a product like Maschine is not self contained, it relies on software that must be compatible with the host computers operating system, you get that?, it needs constant support by way of updates to continue to keep up with any updates made to the host computer.
Hardware are just computers. The point you're missing is that regular computers are no different from "hardware" when you treat it as such. You don't have to update the computer OS or software if you don't want to. You can keep using the computer/software setup that works and never change it. "Hardware" just stop getting supported so there's no option to update anything and often have bugs that never get fixed.

Hardware is subject to physical wear, that goes for the maschine controller too, the switches (buttons and pads) will not last for ever, they will require replacing, and as far as legacy products go the MPC has had enough interest to warrant the manufacture of 3rd party replacement parts.
Again, the point you're missing is that MIDI controllers are much easier and cheaper to replace whereas if the MPC2000's screen dies for example, you're screwed because the parts are no longer being made.

Maschine is the most successful product for NI ever. There's no way it will somehow get discontinued. Trying to give examples of software that were discontinued because of lack of enough interest (Gigasampler), were victims of being bought out and killed (Opcode Studio Vision), or replaced by an improved version (B4 which is now Vintage Organs) is just disingenuous and irrelevant.

I stand by what I said. Look and you will find MPC groove templates. I didn't claim that NI made them.

It doesn't matter what Roger Linn says about MPCs. He has said a lot stuff of the years especially since Akai wouldn't pay him his royalties and did the MPC 2000 without him.

The fact remains is that no maschine does what an MPC does. I never said you couldn't accomplish the same thing. With an MPC, it just works..without effort. You quote Roger Linn as saying that his sequencer design was tight? Duh....Another reason why MPCs are loved and used today. A plastic MIDI control surface that uses USB connected to a PC will never produce the results you get with a stand alone self-contained unit that gives you guaranteed performance. With a computer, you just have too many variables. Windows operating systems...software and drivers not installed correctly....buffer settings....blue screen of death, plugins that tax the host and memory, sound libraries that use of too much memory, etc, etc. Even if you perfectly install Maschine it still can't beat the solidness of an MPC. If you say otherwise, tell us specifically and in what way? Why should an MPC user switch to Maschine? The software sample is embarrassingly underpowered. Its MIDI capabilities are worst that MIDI sequencers created a decade ago. I would rather sequence VST instruments using my MPC and then record the MPC MIDI file directly into the host or drag and drop it from the MPC CF card drive, directly into a DAW..before I use the limited sampling and sequencing abilities of Maschine.

Maschine must have a OS 1.7 to make it appealing.

I stand by what I said. Look and you will find MPC groove templates. I didn't claim that NI made them.
You lied. Spreading misinformation as usual:
HOME OF THE EVOLUTION • View topic - Quick question about a member

You said:
Maschine is not like an MPC which is why there are MPC groove templates out there for Maschine.
which is an outright lie. Now you're just trying to backpedal after your lie has been exposed.

You also claimed:
For someone to take an MPC MIDI file to load into Maschine is proof that they feel a need to import the "magic" that isn't possible with Maschine.
which is another outright lie. No one is loading MPC or any MIDI files into Maschine.

Don't really care if you want to look for the MPC groove templates. (http://www.remixtoolkit.com/products/mpc4000.php )
The MV losers you keep providing links to attempted to create groove templates to mimic what an MPC does. lol This is just one of many places where you can try to find "MPC Groove Templates" silly...google it and before you can type in the entire words..you will have several websites. You can get free templates or ones you have to pay for. They can be used in just about any MIDI sequencer. So come back when you know what you are talking about kid.

As far as claiming whether you know for a fact that the few hundred people that use Maschine are loading MPC sequence files or not is a lie. Impossible to know that...except that as an MPC user, personally, I wouldn't load my perfect MPC sequences into an imperfect Maschine software. *A the few MPC users that did switch to Maschine...what? You think threw away all their music (which includes MIDI files for their tracks)? Come back when you get some knowledge.

Last edited:
As far as claiming whether you know for a fact that the few hundred people that use Maschine are loading MPC sequence files or not is a lie.
Haha. You know very well that Maschine doesn't load MIDI or MPC sequence files period. If you don't, you're more of an idiot than has been evident in your pathetic MPC fanboy trolling.

Haha. You know very well that Maschine doesn't load MIDI or MPC sequence files period. If you don't, you're more of an idiot than has been evident in your pathetic MPC fanboy trolling.

What a tool you are. Its obvious that you have never owned or used Maschine or an MPC. Maschine is a MIDI sequencer ya big dummy. What do you think its recording when you have a MIDI keyboard hooked up to it? Audio tracks? What is it doing when you are adjusting swing and using note repeat. You have outed yourself in the worst way. Since you don't own Maschine (I do) take some time to read up on it: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?page=2169.

An MPC (like ALL sequencers) saves and loads MIDI files. The MPC has three MIDI formats. 2 of 3 formats can load into nearly every MIDI sequencer known to man. Not only can it import MIDI from an MPC, it can load MPC programs. You would know this if you actually owned one.

Last edited:
An MPC (like ALL sequencers) saves and loads MIDI files. The MPC has three MIDI formats. 2 of 3 formats can load into nearly every MIDI sequencer known to man. Not only can it import MIDI from an MPC, it can load MPC programs. You would know this if you actually owned one.
Stop spreading misinformation. While Maschine can load MPC programs, it does not load MPC sequence files and it can't import any MIDI files (as of yet) as you misleadingly alluded to. Congratulations, you're the most pathetic gear troll ever.

Dude, really? Every modern MIDI sequencer worth anything can import or export MIDI. This is a basic function that has been around for at least 20 years. So let's just say you are 100% right and I am 100% wrong. Lol

Then thanks for helping me prove once again that Maschine is not only one of the worst software samplers out there, it's one of the worst MIDI sequencers out there since it can't support basic MIDI features. Every MPC can accomplish this. Lol

It doesn't matter what Roger Linn says about MPCs. He has said a lot stuff of the years especially since Akai wouldn't pay him his royalties and did the MPC 2000 without him.

The fact remains is that no maschine does what an MPC does. I never said you couldn't accomplish the same thing. With an MPC, it just works..without effort. You quote Roger Linn as saying that his sequencer design was tight? Duh....Another reason why MPCs are loved and used today. A plastic MIDI control surface that uses USB connected to a PC will never produce the results you get with a stand alone self-contained unit that gives you guaranteed performance. With a computer, you just have too many variables. Windows operating systems...software and drivers not installed correctly....buffer settings....blue screen of death, plugins that tax the host and memory, sound libraries that use of too much memory, etc, etc. Even if you perfectly install Maschine it still can't beat the solidness of an MPC. If you say otherwise, tell us specifically and in what way? Why should an MPC user switch to Maschine? The software sample is embarrassingly underpowered. Its MIDI capabilities are worst that MIDI sequencers created a decade ago. I would rather sequence VST instruments using my MPC and then record the MPC MIDI file directly into the host or drag and drop it from the MPC CF card drive, directly into a DAW..before I use the limited sampling and sequencing abilities of Maschine.

Maschine must have a OS 1.7 to make it appealing.
Well since you say so it must be true, everything you said. After all its coming from you jahrome so ill take your word for it, you know best!

everybody you really need to listen to this guy. he knows everything. Dont even bother researching for your self, trying different gear, let alone having your own opinion, cuz your wrong. If jahrome didnt say it then its not true, point blank... ;)

Last edited:
By the way, if you connect your MPC to Maschine via MIDI, and arm Maschine to record, you can capture your MPC sequences. Be sure to turn off Maschine's quantize function in order to capture that MPC groove. You can accomplish the same thing with your DAW instead of an MPC if you choose.

Dude, really? Every modern MIDI sequencer worth anything can import or export MIDI. This is a basic function that has been around for at least 20 years. So let's just say you are 100% right and I am 100% wrong. Lol
LOL You just proved that you're just a gear collector. Otherwise you would have known about midi import and Maschine's extensive export/drag and drop options for MIDI and audio.

Back