Upgrading my hard drive to solid state

CowboyClyde

Hey all,

I want to upgrade my hard drive to 1tb solid state in my 2010 MacBook Pro.
I am a complete n00b when it comes to computers so I am not really sure what drive I should purchase. I'd like to spend less than $300 if possible.

My first option would be this drive:
Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

What do you guys recommend?
Any specific models or brands to stick to?
Any particular drives that I should check out?

Thanks for the help.

I would seriously avoid this like the plague - whilst all hard drives eventually SSD's tend to die sooner.

If you must have an SSD have one that has enough space for
the OS and
programs and
scratch disk space (working files for projects) and
maybe with a little bit of growth room as you add new stuff,

but use another internal HDD for
your sample library
long term storage of projects
other working files

I would seriously avoid this like the plague - whilst all hard drives eventually SSD's tend to die sooner.

the OS and
programs and

your sample library
other working files

This is exactly what I have done and it works like a charm.

the OS and
programs and

your sample library
other working files

Wait...I can stick 2 2.5'' internal hard drives into my mac?!!?
Edit//: Just did some research on sticking two drives in my mac. I am noticing that I need some kind of enclosure? how do I know what type of enclosure to buy?
Ex.
*In the video, he calls it a "Data Doubler"

Also, does the 2nd internal drive just work like an external hard drive or do I have to also format an operating system onto it?

If that is the case, for the second drive, how important is the RPM speed for the second drive?

I'm thinking first drive:
Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

second drive:
Amazon.com: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0J22423: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a SSD in your case, not for the reasons mentioned above because SSDs have come a long way and are very reliable. By the time it's reached the end of it's life span, your computer will be outdated and ready to be replaced anyway.

My reason for staying away from SSD in your situation is because you have a 2010 Macbook and they are only SATA II, meaning you won't get the full speed/benefit of SSD. It wasn't until 2011 that Macbook Pros moved up to SATA III so unless you plan on ripping out the SSD and using it in another computer that isn't a retina Macbook Pro then it would be a waste of money. The newer Macbooks have everything soldered in so you couldn't even move that SSD to anything other than pre 2011 Mac or a Windows desktop or laptop. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, windows has come A LOOOONG WAY and is definitely a viable option for music production.

I wouldn't buy a SSD in your case, not for the reasons mentioned above because SSDs have come a long way and are very reliable. By the time it's reached the end of it's life span, your computer will be outdated and ready to be replaced anyway.

My reason for staying away from SSD in your situation is because you have a 2010 Macbook and they are only SATA II, meaning you won't get the full speed/benefit of SSD. It wasn't until 2011 that Macbook Pros moved up to SATA III so unless you plan on ripping out the SSD and using it in another computer that isn't a retina Macbook Pro then it would be a waste of money. The newer Macbooks have everything soldered in so you couldn't even move that SSD to anything other than pre 2011 Mac or a Windows desktop or laptop. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, windows has come A LOOOONG WAY and is definitely a viable option for music production.

In that case, I'm probably just going to go with this drive:
HGST 0J22423 1.0TB 2.5" Travelstar 7K1000 7200RPM... in stock at OWC

on another note, what is your opinion on "Hybrid Drives"?
Like something like this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Toshiba/MQ01ABD100HM/

Last edited:
I want to upgrade my hard drive to 1tb solid state in my 2010 MacBook Pro.

OK.

I'd like to spend less than $300 if possible.

Not gonna happen.

That's not an SSD.

An SSD has no disk, it's very small and looks like this:

For the SSD pictured above (one of the best-rated SSDs for a combination of speed and reliability), you're looking at a bit over $300 for half of 1TB.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You could always leave the hard drive with your os alone and store on an external. I'm not sure how sata or usb 3.0 or any of that compares as far as transfer rate goes. Which would make a big difference if you are going to use a lot of samples. You can take any internal hard drive and buy a cheap enclosure and turn it into an external hard drive. Just make sure they match 2.5 to 2.5 and 3.5 to 3.5

Back