Understanding Dynamic Processors (Compression)

That is actually a really good way to look at it! Most people would view compression as levels but the analogy of shapes could make your compression techniques more effective within your mix.

Just getting into this industry can be overwhelming. Whenever I find a thread like this that basically "dumbs" it down, I find it awesome. Thank you so much. I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable working within my DAW.

Thanks for the insight , this pretty much rounds everything up i kno about compression already. One thing I ponder about though is compression's use in instruments other than percussion

Just getting into this industry can be overwhelming. Whenever I find a thread like this that basically "dumbs" it down, I find it awesome. Thank you so much. I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable working within my DAW.

I don't think I'm dumbing it down. Trying to simplify things, but I think the conventional understanding of compression - something which adjusts volume - is a bit of an oversimplification. Because you can really effect the attack, decay, sustain and release of a signal, compression is very much about the "shape" of the sound.

There's a lot of things you can do with compressors in general. You can side-chain to create something of a pumping effect, that's what I use it for primarily, and many other things. But yea, what you stated at the beginning of this post is pretty much what a compressor "Does" now it's just a matter of figuring out how your going to use it.

Back