Underground rappers are weak to me.

OfficialLogic

I should clarify, I don't mean the artists who haven't blown up yet or are simply dudes putting out music for creativity's sake.

I mean the niggas who get REAL preachy about it and overstate their importance in the hip-hop game.

I say this after getting into a 'discussion' with a Hopsin fan who seems to think he's the 2nd Coming of Pac or something.

To me, I hate when underground rappers say they'll never sign to a major in the fear that their creative input will be ruined. Because the majority of underground rappers that say that are just using it as a copout for being afraid to enter the mainstream. Normally, I wouldn't care, but these are the same type of niggas that try to put out some sort of message and try to act like hip-hop's savior.

And we all know those types of rappers. They rap over uninspired, 90s throwaway beats, preach all about some 'real hip-hop' while sounding like every other underground artist in the world and expect to make some change in the game. Except, they ALL seem to miss a vital point: if you expect to change the game, you have to be a participant. You have to have APPEAL. People will only listen to you if you can manage to grab their attention. Nobody wants to listen to some dusty ass nigga from the Bronx rap over a generic boom bap instrumental with his bland ass try-hard Rakim/Nas vocals.

Kendrick played the game perfectly. He has enough mainstream appeal for people to listen, but he also has a message and he doesn't convey it in a way where he's forcing his audience to agree with him. That's what separates him from the Hopsins of the rap game.

This nigga Hopsin will rap over the same four or five instrumentals every song, and is too close-minded to rap over anything BUT those beats. He'll go off about being hip-hop's savior and trying to promote positive change, but he's not willing to make the sacrifice to make sure his message is actually felt. Furthermore, the positive 'change' he preaches about is really just insulting anybody who MIGHT have given his music a chance. He doesn't understand that the king of the rap game is ultimately the one who sets the rules and examples for others to follow. And to be king, you need more than mediocre beats and technical ability. You need to be charismatic and likable. You need to be in the arena, not on the outskirts hoping that somebody's eyes wander off the battle long enough to notice you.

I'm sick of these underground artists sitting exactly on those outskirts, with all these entitlement issues, bitching about how the mainstream only likes 'trash' artists, when really the only thing separating you and those trash artists is that they make music that people actually wanna hear and they aren't passive-aggressive douchebags.

I agree

I am a underground rapper and I think Hopsins whole crew is wack. They flakes for sure. Any real nigga can see this. Regardless of all that though. I feel what you wrote.

Imbooming.com

Who is Hopsin? Seen his name a few times for the past three years. Fist time seeing his name it had to do with Odd Future. A beef....diss track or something. Isnit he the dude with them boogieman eyes? Never heard his music and if I did it wasn't anything to remember. But hey...I felt like that about Kendrick also.........and Schoolboy Q got one of my favorite songs this year. I would've never thought I would love any of his music.

Have you been reading my thoughts or something?

To me, I hate when underground rappers say they'll never sign to a major in the fear that their creative input will be ruined. Because the majority of underground rappers that say that are just using it as a copout for being afraid to enter the mainstream. Normally, I wouldn't care, but these are the same type of niggas that try to put out some sort of message and try to act like hip-hop's savior.
The only part i disagree with, labels will tell you what music to make, who to get on your album & you cant say shit. They could have the sweetest, shittest popstars on your album if they want & you cant say shit. They could make you spit on whatever beats they want you to & that might even mean that youre not allowed to rap on the beats you made. They WILL tell you what to rap about & get someone to write your hooks. Unless your like Eminem or something.

Today if you have a strong following you don't need a label. Look at Tech 9. However those underground artists who don't have that strong following talking that madness are lying. If Diddy approached them they'd be the first people to have him dancing in their video's.

The only part i disagree with, labels will tell you what music to make, who to get on your album & you cant say shit. They could have the sweetest, shittest popstars on your album if they want & you cant say shit. They could make you spit on whatever beats they want you to & that might even mean that youre not allowed to rap on the beats you made. They WILL tell you what to rap about & get someone to write your hooks. Unless your like Eminem or something.

Truth. It doesn't only happen with Rappers, either. Labels pay for the product they want, not the product you want to give them.

And the part in the OP about "Popular artists make music people actually want to hear..." ... That's extremely debatable on a number of levels. Many people don't want to hear those artists. Hell.. if they're on a label, there are forces at work trying to people you to "want to hear" that music.

Underground artists ARE important to the industry. If they brag about that, so be it. The alternative is hearing a mainstream rapper brag about his car. You'd judge one but not the other?

Today if you have a strong following you don't need a label. Look at Tech 9. However those underground artists who don't have that strong following talking that madness are lying. If Diddy approached them they'd be the first people to have him dancing in their video's.

Exactly. It's just an excuse.

Tech N9ne, while not as big as Eminem or Jay-Z or whomever, STILL has a strong presence in the game despite not signing to a label.

The trick is you have to gain a strong following. Most of these underground rappers gain a couple of diehard fans, but don't gain as strong a following as some mainstream acts because they have no originality or personality.

For as a cookie cutter as they claim mainstream artists are, they are far more cookie cutter.

Truth. It doesn't only happen with Rappers, either. Labels pay for the product they want, not the product you want to give them.

And the part in the OP about "Popular artists make music people actually want to hear..." ... That's extremely debatable on a number of levels. Many people don't want to hear those artists. Hell.. if they're on a label, there are forces at work trying to people you to "want to hear" that music.

Underground artists ARE important to the industry. If they brag about that, so be it. The alternative is hearing a mainstream rapper brag about his car. You'd judge one but not the other?

I'd rather listen to 2 Chainz spout off his ridiculousness than listen to another Hopsin, to be honest.

2 Chainz, while not being anywhere close to great rapper, puts out music that's actually fun to listen too and he has a certain 'persona' that I find enjoyable. Hopsin doesn't. He's too preachy for me, and he's basically the epitome of what I'm talking about in the OP. His beats are mediocre, and while he's a technically skilled artist, he isn't saying shit that's different from any other underground rapper out there and more importantly, for all this talk about having a 'positive' image, his songs are just riddled with bitterness. Like, you're really complaining about the girls back in high school who didn't give you attention? And then constantly slut-shaming them and acting like it's suppose to help them?

The only difference with some underground rappers and some mainstream rappers is that mainstream rappers aren't pretentious and at least spout their cliches over (generally) catchy instrumentals.

I'd rather listen to 2 Chainz spout off his ridiculousness than listen to another Hopsin, to be honest.

2 Chainz, while not being anywhere close to great rapper, puts out music that's actually fun to listen too and he has a certain 'persona' that I find enjoyable. Hopsin doesn't. He's too preachy for me, and he's basically the epitome of what I'm talking about in the OP. His beats are mediocre, and while he's a technically skilled artist, he isn't saying shit that's different from any other underground rapper out there and more importantly, for all this talk about having a 'positive' image, his songs are just riddled with bitterness. Like, you're really complaining about the girls back in high school who didn't give you attention? And then constantly slut-shaming them and acting like it's suppose to help them?

The only difference with some underground rappers and some mainstream rappers is that mainstream rappers aren't pretentious and at least spout their cliches over (generally) catchy instrumentals.

Well, I can tell you're not into Hopsin. And that's cool. You're into 2 Chainz? That's cool too. But don't tell me "everyone" wants to hear 2 Chainz, or that I want to hear 2 Chainz, coz I don't. Depending on your tastes, mainstream music can either get it right or wrong. True, those records are tailored to attract as many people as possible. BUT, that doesn't automatically validate it as "better" than anything else. That's left up to us, the listeners.

Even sales #'s are skewed... Put $50,000 of promotion behind Hopsin's next album, and who knows what could happen for him... If he has the right look, or a catchy hook in a could-be hit single, that's all he'd need (possibly).

im gonna star using quote tags, this is the second time i tried to ^^^someone & someone else posts before me!

Last edited:
I am a underground rapper and I think Hopsins whole crew is wack. They flakes for sure. Any real nigga can see this. Regardless of all that though. I feel what you wrote.

Imbooming.com

I am a underground rapper and I think Hopsins whole crew is wack. They flakes for sure. Any real porch-monkey,jungle bunny,tar-baby can see this. Regardless of all that though. I feel what you wrote.

-Coach Antonio

Joey Badaazz is technically underground since he isn't with a major. KDOT could be considered underground when he was just with TDE. I don't think Danny Brown is on a major label.

What I'm saying is the distinction today between underground and mainstream is not the same.

Didn't hopsin have a deal with Ruthless back in the day?

OP is a loser with no taste in hip hop.

Check out K-Rino he pisses all over your favorite rapper, you won't be able to handle his lyrics and shun them away.

But it's really you who is wrong.

OP is a loser with no taste in hip hop.

Check out K-Rino he pisses all over your favorite rapper, you won't be able to handle his lyrics and shun them away.

But it's really you who is wrong.

Lyrics aint bad at all, but heard that flow before

Lyrics aint bad at all, but heard that flow before

LOL dude he's been recording and writing back with KRS-One.

Dude's like 50 and drops 5 albums a year.

Highly respected in Houston.

He owns his own label that is international.

He's been recording since 89 probably sooner.

So let me know whose flow he jacked? LOL

Didnt know that, your post gave me the impression that hes someone new! This thread is about these new(year 2000 and later) "saviors of hip hop" who all sound the same. Like Hopsin & them guys.

Last edited:
Didnt know that, your post gave me the impression that hes someone new! This thread is about these new(year 2000 and later) "saviors of hip hop" who all sound the same. Like Hopsin & them guys.

You're cool check him out, his entire album collection of 20+ albums is on Youtube, this music will change your mind and views on life.
You have been warned.

Last edited:
Back