types of synths

cartwheel1984

Hey all a new day a new question! Can anyone tell me whats the difference between synths, iv so far learnes theres subtractive, additive and fm synths,

just want a basic idea whats the difference n whens best to use one over another? Ie. Bass or lead? Does one serve a diffenent purpose?
Which one is best to try n learn first?
Cheers if anyone can help!

Well, those are the major types. There are others, but the vast majority of all synths are of the subtractive type, then FM (and phase distortion, which is roughly similar) and then a handful of additive ones. I don't think there's any point trying to assign a type of synthesis directly to being well-suited to a specific type of sounds (like bass or leads), as just subtractive can easily cover all of these. Subtractive is definitely the one to learn first, as it's the most widely used and the easiest to understand. FM and additive are tricky to fully grasp even for the synthesis veterans (in the sense that it'd be easy to say "do this to get this sound").

Cheers man! :-) its on my list of things to do learning synthesis but still got so much to learn music theory n producing n learning my daw! Just wasnt too sure on whats the difference between the synths so nice 1 for helping! Just wish there there was more hours in the day....

Im guessing subtractive takes something away (not sure what) and aadditive adds something? (Again not sure what) so whats fm and granular do then? Just something basic as I dont want to go to deep into the subject at the min, just curious!

FM or frequency modulation works in the way that you modulate the frequency of for example a simple waveform (square, sine etc) with another frequency to create more complex harmonic and inharmonic ones.

Additive synthesis is done by adding sine waves together to create different timbres.

Subtractive synthesis basically uses different waveforms, most of the time more complex waveforms than not through filters to shape the timbre of the sound.

Granular is one that I myself have not grasped fully.. if I remember correctly it has something to do with samples being cut into really really really short pieces (grains?) and played back on top of each other in different speeds, phases, frequencies, volumes and what not you can think of..

Last edited:
You're on the right track - subtractive indeed works by starting with "pure" waveforms, which are then shaped by the filters and envelopes by, well, substracting stuff from them. This might be easier to grasp from actual analog synths - they actually put out a continuous waveform (meaning that without the envelopes and filters, you'll get a monotonous constant sound of them all the time, not just when you hit a keyboard or something), and only the envelopes (triggered by the keyboard or MIDI/CV messages) make them sound like they have a start and end - basically the envelope's shape is subtracted from that continuous wave.

Additive is a lot more complex, but the basic understanding that all sound is a bunch of sine waves at heart goes a long way: additive "simply" works by adding sine waves together. Do an image search for "additive synthesis", because it's much easier to grasp what happens when you add sines than it is to explain it in words. Additive might actually be the most flexible form of synthesis - but really only on a theoretical level, as it's pretty hard to build an interface that makes it easy. There are some plugin synths that have managed to get it to a rather easily understandable level - although most of these "borrow" features from the subtractive side of things, because "pure" additive is, well, tough.

Frequency Modulation (FM) is kind of similar to additive in a way, but instead of just summing them together you'll have sine waves (also other waveforms in modern plugin FM synths) modulating the frequency of the other waveforms. Again, do an image search on this to get a basic idea of what happens. Since most if not all FM synths allow you to configure different setups of oscillators (or "operators" as they're called in Yamaha's famous DX line of synths) which all affect each other (or not, depending on the op config) in one way or the other, it swiftly gets tricky to anticipate what actually happens when you adjust one of them. Again, modern plugin FM synths borrow stuff like filters from subtractive synthesis, which makes it a lot easier to quickly change the whole tonality of a patch. The "classic" hardware FM synths like the DX7 didn't have filters at all. It should be noted that FM syntesis is often possible to an extent on subtractive synths as well - after all, you just need to have one oscillator modulating the frequency of another = basic FM.

Granular - yeah, I thought of mentioning it but decided to leave it out as it's a bit of a niche thing and I'm not sure if there's any kind of standard on the parts of a granular synth. But the basic idea is that you have a sample that is broken down by the synth into very small "grains" - often just a few milliseconds long - which then form a sound when a big bunch of them are played back at the same time. The parameters of a granular synth often relate to this "cloud" of grains rather than the individual grains, allowing you to control the duration of the grains, their pitch & placement in the stereo field. This one's really tricky to explain w/o examples, but let's just say it's more on the experimental side of things, not usually well suited for "normal" sounds but great for soundscapes and ambient stuff. There's a great book on this by Curtis Roads called Microsound.

most fm synthesis is done on the basis of sine waves or cosine waves driving each other. The key to this is that the modulating oscillator(s) are at some integer multiple of the main frequency (1, 2, 3, 4, etc). Some implementations do use other wave forms as the carrier (the waveform that is modulated) but most do not.

Thanks everyone for your input! As I said I was just curious at the minute, synthesis seems like a lot to learn n get my head round, so gonna just stick to music theory n learning producing n just use sounds I like for now! But really do appreciate your info n will give the link a read after I finish work! Cheers!

Well, it is a lot to learn - but the basics aren't hard to grasp, especially with subtractive synthesis. I think it's a good idea to start experimenting with it, figuring out what the different sections of a synthesizer do, even if you're only going to be tweaking presets. It's a lot easier to get where you want instead of randomly fiddling around when you have a fundamental understanding of what you are doing.

Just to add. I prefer subtractive synths. One big simple saw can get real gritty. Subractive are more full bodied and deep and anlogy seemingly to a point.

Some other types of synths seem more one dimensional and flat and crushing.

Back