Turntables the past and midi controllers the futures

Technics are discontinued because they are too limiting. I was one of those old school dj's that said turntables would never dissapear. But that was 15 years ago. As soon as I saw traktor dj studio 2.0 I knew that as soon as respectable controllers were available it would be the end of them for good. It took a long ass time but now they aren't even being made anymore. Now that controllers got good enough to mix in the same fashion (plus more) as with vinyl as opposed to a 'new' way, there just is no reason to limit oneself anymore. I really don't think they will ever make a controller that feels like a classic mk1200 becuase it would be huge and the only market for it would be old school 50 year old dj's that never made the switch. I do predict that 1200's will become extremely sought after and probably fetch prices upwards of several thousand dollars eventually. Just like vintage sound city HIWATT amps, etc. So hold on to them if you have them...

Yes, Technics mk-1200's are the classic silver (although they made balck ones later on) that you have seen in almost every club you've ever been in. They were the only turntables to have quartz locking at ALL speeds. No matter where you moved the tempo they were locked in relation to the quartz crystal which made them the only choice for professional deejaying. All this changed sometime about ten years ago when their exclusive patent on the technology to achieve this ran out (or wasn't renewed, not sure the whole story there). At that time other platters appeared on the seen that were passable. Of course about the same time it also became faily common to tweak the platter directly to keep it on time with the other record. This was of course necessary in order to really play the mixer (not riding the tempo through the whole mix like we used to do in the old days).

Probably one of the best made pieces of electronic equipment ever made. Them and HIWATT guitar amps ;-)

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

Yes, Technics mk-1200's are the classic silver (although they made balck ones later on) that you have seen in almost every club you've ever been in. They were the only turntables to have quartz locking at ALL speeds. No matter where you moved the tempo they were locked in relation to the quartz crystal which made them the only choice for professional deejaying. All this changed sometime about ten years ago when their exclusive patent on the technology to achieve this ran out (or wasn't renewed, not sure the whole story there). At that time other platters appeared on the seen that were passable. Of course about the same time it also became faily common to tweak the platter directly to keep it on time with the other record. This was of course necessary in order to really play the mixer (not riding the tempo through the whole mix like we used to do in the old days).

Probably one of the best made pieces of electronic equipment ever made. Them and HIWATT guitar amps ;-)

this whole argument reminds me of hardware beat machines vs software back in the day, all the purists was on this hardware for life

dunno y people feel the need to tell someone there not a real something if they never did it a certain way

I don't disagree that controllers are gaining popularity, but its only in the 4/4 dance music. Try mixing hip hop or scratching on a controller, you can't. Try entering a DMC battle with a controller, you can't.

THE 2011 WORLD DMC TEAM BATTLE: RISE OF THE MACHINES « DJ Rob Swift

SAGE <> thnx DJ Rob Swift <> get with the future or get left behind <> in 2007, everyone laughed at the idea of a diesel powered formula one race car, they were winning races that same year

I think you (the OP) just described a bad dream I had once.
The thought of never spinning a record (even if it is control vinyl) makes me shudder.

Back