Turntables the past and midi controllers the futures

swiffy

So are Turntables becoming the past and midi controllers are taking over for Dee Jaying. You see Technics are not being produced anymore. Nobody wants to lug around two Technics. In college I carried 6 crates, and two technics. For example in my case I've just got back in. I rebought a Tech 1200 and scratch mixer. The Tech 1200 price has skyrocketed. Would it be beneficial for live gigs and clubs to go for the Traktor S4S and just use the Technics for home use? I already ordered the Traktor Scratch Pro, but have to wait until Jan 5th. Opinions?

yea
its completely possible
i dj with my axiom no problem
EDIT: but as for turntables going away, i doubt that it will ever happens.
cause when the fall out of popular use, they will still be sold as niche items, and people will still use them to sample
and plus, why spend a extra thousand when you just order scratch and you have some technics, just get so traktor vinyl and you're good to go.

Last edited:
So are Turntables becoming the past and midi controllers are taking over for Dee Jaying.

Only for the "dance" djs who mix 4/4 music. There are still a lot of hip hop and scratch djs around.

You see Technics are not being produced anymore. Nobody wants to lug around two Technics.

Panasonic has yet to release an "official" statement on any of their sites.

Would it be beneficial for live gigs and clubs to go for the Traktor S4S and just use the Technics for home use.

I would say it depends on the club/gig and how accessible the sound controls are.

not true at all, there are tons of artists who use midi controllers live outside of dance music
flylo for example

Ok, there are ton of djs who use turntables when they DJ, for example DJ Jazzy Jeff, A-trak, Biz Markie, Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Numark, Shiftee, Craze, Klever, Steve Aoki, Cut Chemist, Spider, Fashen, AM, FAT BOY SLIM, etc...

When I lived in Las Vegas every single club had Technics and Rane ttm-57 mixers. It was only the "dance, house" djs that used CDJs. The same thing was true when I traveled to L.A. for the weekends.

I don't disagree that controllers are gaining popularity, but its only in the 4/4 dance music. Try mixing hip hop or scratching on a controller, you can't. Try entering a DMC battle with a controller, you can't.

As long as there is hip hop culture, there will be turntables.

***I see that you're from France, the French turntablist having won three out of the last five DMC competitions. Check out Ligone, DJ Fly, and Netik.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, there are ton of djs who use turntables when they DJ, for example DJ Jazzy Jeff, A-trak, Biz Markie, Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Numark, Shiftee, Craze, Klever, Steve Aoki, Cut Chemist, Spider, Fashen, AM, FAT BOY SLIM, etc...

When I lived in Las Vegas every single club had Technics and Rane ttm-57 mixers. It was only the "dance, house" djs that used CDJs. The same thing was true when I traveled to L.A. for the weekends.

I don't disagree that controllers are gaining popularity, but its only in the 4/4 dance music. Try mixing hip hop or scratching on a controller, you can't. Try entering a DMC battle with a controller, you can't.

As long as there is hip hop culture, there will be turntables.

***I see that you're from France, the French turntablist having won three out of the last five DMC competitions. Check out Ligone, DJ Fly, and Netik.

no shit people use turntables, but you only limited the use of controllers to dance djs, and thats untrue.
and cdjs are turntables, fool.
and im not from france, the **** did you get that from

but you only limited the use of controllers to dance djs, and thats untrue.

I originally said, "Only for the "dance" djs who mix 4/4 music. There are still a lot of hip hop and scratch djs around." That was a direct response to, "So are Turntables becoming the past and midi controllers are taking over for Dee Jaying."

It is true that midi controllers are taking over in the EDM scene. It's easier to control 4/4 music with a controller, because that music is made to be mixed. Hip Hop songs aren't made to be mixed, they are songs. They don't have long intros our outros and they are not 8 mins long.

and cdjs are turntables, fool.

How is CDJ, which plays CDs a turntable, which plays plays records? You wouldn't call a Technic a CDJ.

and im not from france, the **** did you get that from

Your DJ Ecko soundcloud link says "Rennes, France."

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way that Turntables will be phased out, but DVS systems linked with midi controllers for things like cue points and FX, loops etc will likely gain popularity with DJ's looking to take advantage of more of the software features, especially with software like Traktor (as opposed to Serato which is a bit simpler) I personally still use CDJ's and audio CDs, though I imagine that setup will eventually go the way of the dodo bird, turntables themselves won't until they make a midi controller that can perfectly emulate the sound and feel of tables.

It really depends on what you value as a dj or what you value as an artist.

For hip hop, turntables are a must.

There is plenty of information (and videos) about the dj's role in hip hop and the role of turntables in hip hop that explains or shows why turntables are an essential part of the culture.

Even dj's who use serato or traktor, etc still use real turntables in addition to newer technology.

Also stanton, vestax and other companies still make turntables, and the existing stock of technics is not used up. They are still available in stores used and new, even though no more are being made.

Last edited:
I agree with illscratchdj. People act like just because they stopped making Technics it's no longer accetable to use or buy them. Techs are still available for purchase and they last a very long time so I don't think we've seen the last of them for quite a while.

A lot of new "DJs" are so quick to hop onto the next new craze and have not even mastered what they have already.

MIDI controllers are cool and useful tools but there's a time and place for everything. I actually thinkt the new Denon MIDI controller is pretty tight and would love to have one in addition to my Technics for the lower paying gigs that I don't want to do too much work for.

The way I see it, there still is HIP HOP purists out there that will still use turntables. The feel and the skill that it takes to control (no pun intended) a turntable can't be matched be a newbie cdj user. I use Serato with vinyl on 1200's and I kill it like I used to with records from the crates!!!

Last edited:
I think as the sales of records continue to decline, you're going to see fewer and fewer people using old school turntable setups. Fewer new songs will be pressed to vinyl, CDs are definitely going to vanish, so more people are going to use programs like Serato or just go straight digital, since all the newest hits are going to be distributed only as mp3s and .flac files. The process is only going to accelerate as more and more younger kids are growing up having never been exposed to vinyl at all. They're not going to have any nostalgic attachment to the medium.

For the moment, sales of actual vinyl records are sort of decent, so DJs will continue to use strictly analog setups for a while, as long as the new hits are pressed. There will of course be niche crowds that strictly release on and play only vinyl as well. I mean, there are still Jazz clubs in bigger cities. But eventually, the idea of music attached to any physical medium is going to seem painfully anachronistic.

The turtables will be around for a wile
The controllers are an easy way to play lighter smallers etc
but its like if you say that the monitors will be replaced for ipods cause they are lighter smaller etc

I definitely think that midi controllers are blowing up since Ableton was introduced (especially the APC line). Although there's so many things that you simply cannot do digitally. For starters you don't get a real "vinyl" feel from a midi controller, and you cannot be a scratch DJ. Another aspect that is simply impossible is sampling using a midi controller. Since I am a hip hop producer I enjoy having the capabilities that a turn table provides. Even electro hip hop producers such as FlyLo and Tokimonsta use turntables to sample, although they use midi controllers to perform. I know a lot of DJ's in my area are still using vinyl just because that's what they started with and are most comfortable with. In terms of live performance I do think that midi controllers have their place, check out Daedelus using the monome.

All The Best,
Feature Cuts

So are Turntables becoming the past and midi controllers are taking over for Dee Jaying. You see Technics are not being produced anymore. Nobody wants to lug around two Technics. In college I carried 6 crates, and two technics. For example in my case I've just got back in. I rebought a Tech 1200 and scratch mixer. The Tech 1200 price has skyrocketed. Would it be beneficial for live gigs and clubs to go for the Traktor S4S and just use the Technics for home use? I already ordered the Traktor Scratch Pro, but have to wait until Jan 5th. Opinions?

No way. i dont agree with that statement at all. Vinyl DJs and REAL DJIING, used to be all about finding vinyl, throwing on the illest shit, and just the sound and feel of vinyl, you cant compare it too anything else. id rather lug around my techs, then use a 'laptop' or a midi controller any day. I have no respect for alot of these brand new djs that buy a laptop and a midi controller and then call themselves djs. Your never a real dj until you use vinyl, period. THATS WHAT DJIING IS. Everything else is just 'accessories'. The so called technological world is trying to make the turntables obsolete. which is a damn shame. Pretty soon there wont be any vinyl being pressed any more. there arent many vinyl presses left. Ill never trade my vinyl for cd's or mp3s or wavs. leave the laptops for producing. At least hip hop dj's havent fully converted over. There at least holding it down. but i know that alot of tech/house djs are converting because there too lazy too keep a beat in sync, so they just push the button to automatically do it for them. And swiffy, if i was you, hell yeah use the technics at the club! why not? obviously you know the quality difference and the skill difference between a REAL DJ , which uses vinyl, and alot of these newbies who start off with labtops and midi controllers. But i do have a biased opinion, i dont like alot of this easy dj type outlook, djiing isnt supposed to be easy lol, its supposed to be a skill,idk, im a vinyl purist and i feel strongly about vinyl and turntables. now that they are trying to make them obsolete, it drives me nuts.:bat:

Honestly, I don't think it matters what you use but how you use it. I've watched shitty DJ's use turntables, CDJ's, laptops and still suck at DJ'ing. Technology is not going replace the amount of effort it takes to pu together an awesome set.

yea
its completely possible
i dj with my axiom no problem
EDIT: but as for turntables going away, i doubt that it will ever happens.
cause when the fall out of popular use, they will still be sold as niche items, and people will still use them to sample
and plus, why spend a extra thousand when you just order scratch and you have some technics, just get so traktor vinyl and you're good to go.

Whaaaat? How do you DJ with the Axiom? Didn't know that was possible...

Back