Triangle and Pyramid panels

Resonate_

Hi guys,
please can you help me to understand the main differences between "triangle and pyramid" panels?
Please i need precise infos

I found a 40cmx40cm/7cm panels, is this dimension good?

I hope to have an answer!

Bests
Chris

pyramid ~ AFP45 45mm Acoustic Foam Pyramid Tile Box of 30 Tiles - Acoustic Foam
125Hz 0.07
250Hz 0.21
500Hz 0.42
1000Hz 0.64
2000Hz 0.80
4000Hz 0.93

NRC 0.50

triangle ~ AFW45 45mm Acoustic Foam Wedge Tiles Box of 30 Tiles - Acoustic Foam (note the afw75, which you linked to, does not have the necessary data to make a comparison)

125Hz 0.10
250Hz 0.29
500Hz 0.50
1000Hz 0.68
2000Hz 0.74
4000Hz 0.98

NRC 0.55

based on this data both are similar in performance thought afw45 does do slightly better at all frequencies but 2000Hz

note that these measurements are taken from the wider set of measurements performed for this report http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/nrc_test_results.pdf

pyramid ~ AFP45 45mm Acoustic Foam Pyramid Tile Box of 30 Tiles - Acoustic Foam
125Hz 0.07
250Hz 0.21
500Hz 0.42
1000Hz 0.64
2000Hz 0.80
4000Hz 0.93

NRC 0.50

triangle ~ AFW45 45mm Acoustic Foam Wedge Tiles Box of 30 Tiles - Acoustic Foam (note the afw75, which you linked to, does not have the necessary data to make a comparison)

125Hz 0.10
250Hz 0.29
500Hz 0.50
1000Hz 0.68
2000Hz 0.74
4000Hz 0.98

NRC 0.55

based on this data both are similar in performance thought afw45 does do slightly better at all frequencies but 2000Hz

note that these measurements are taken from the wider set of measurements performed for this report http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/nrc_test_results.pdf

Hey thank you for your kind reply.

Yes i understand what you are saying and effectively the AFW is weird around 2000Hz, could you guess why?

But why the difference in the FORM? There is a particular difference between pyramid and triangle?

Bests
Chris

Yes i understand what you are saying and effectively the AFW is weird around 2000Hz, could you guess why?

probably something to do with the wavelength vs the dimensions of the wedge shape complex math might reveal why, but beyond current discussion

But why the difference in the FORM? There is a particular difference between pyramid and triangle?

Bests
Chris

think of it as a continuous slot vs lots of bumps
- the triangles form a continuous valleys between each peak,
- the pyramids form this continuous valley in both directions
-- this latter design may actually actively interfere with the ability to absorb well
-- the triangle design has a volume of 5204125 mm[sup]3[/sup] (about 520412.5 cc's or 520 litres)
-- the pyramid design has a volume of 4229725 mm[sup]3[/sup] (about 422972.5 cc's or 423 litres)

less volume means less absorption means lower coefficients at each step

the profile of a pyramid vs a triangular prism also means that the frequency response will be different across the broad range that the tile is designed for.

Ok now its more clear, very thank you for your time !

Just a last question, what is better between 45mm and 75mm ?

Bests
Chris

Last edited:
can't tell you because the data is not available for the 75mm tiles either in the report or at the site. based on the data for the 100mmm tiles though it would be safe to assert that they will perform slightly better than the 45mm

For the bass, i have bass traps.
But i was also looking for panels that could care a medium range of low freq.
Yes and i i also saw that the range of absorption starts by 125hz.

No problems just checking. They do start at 125hz but to be honest your plasterboard walls will probably absorb more at that range

most walls in modern housing are made with gyprock aka sheetrock aka plasterboard they have their own coefficient of absorption

as for the panels you asked about they actually do start to absorb at 50Hz but the effect is negligible being below 0.1; ally them with a good bass trap and they do an excellent job.....

Ah ok well...
So my house is not old but not modern :D , so the walls are not in plasterboard (in italy is hard to find home walls in plasterboard).

Anyway your words are clear, thank you for helping :)

Hi guys im here again, but this thime i would like to ask you

Could you personally recommend to me some nice brand for panels/bass trap and something else?
On a slow price but medium/high quality, i have to use them on Home Studio.

what you have been looking at is quite good, add in their bass traps and you have a winning package

Pro Acoustic Foam Pyramid and Wedge Tiles AFW45 AFW75 AFP45 AFP75

can't tell you because the data is not available for the 75mm tiles either in the report or at the site. based on the data for the 100mmm tiles though it would be safe to assert that they will perform slightly better than the 45mm

Hi Thanks for the heads up on our tiles

We are intending to get the 75mm wedges and Pyramids tested , when we first did the testing we submitted only the 4 types of tiles 45 and 100mm Pyramid and Wedges, as the interest grew in our tiles we were asked for tile at 75mm ( 3" )

Although we presume the NRC will be imbetween the 45 and 100 tiles we have has tested we cannot be sure until we have had the tests done

We were quite surprised at the results our thicker tiles were more on a par NRC wise with market leaders such as Auralex our AFW100 100mm wedge getting an NRC of 0.95 the same average nrc as their Studiofoam Pyramid 100mm. but being a bit less against the Auralex Studioform Wedge.

Where we have had to go thicker to match is on the Auralex 1" Studioform Wedge where our tile the AFW45 had to be 20mm thicker to get the same NRC of 0.55

Soundspec have published a table of acoustic foam suppliers comparing the results against one another Luckily we were picked as one to be measured

We are not sound engineers, I work for a large foam conversion company in the UK but am lucky enough to be allowed to develop products for sale via our factory shop and web outlets, having been asked a number of years ago to find acoustic foam my sons friend who had left university with a degree in sound engineering and was setting up his own studio i did this as a favor and it opened the floodgates. quite soon we had a dedicated department in the company doing nothing but cutting packing and dispatching the acoustic foam direct from our factory in Oldham in the UK.

I do feel we have sat back a bit on the products we have sold for the last few years, and now should really start to invest a bit more into new product development and have more testing done on new products, advise on new products is always welcome as is feedback on our existing.

Thanks Mike
Comfortex Acoustics

Pro Acoustic Foam Wedge AFW45 @ 2000Hz

Bests
Chris

Hi Chris

Yes it is a little of the Wedge did not do quite as well as the Pyramid in the 2000Hz range, we only had the tests done once as the testing is quite expensive. often tests like this are done numerous times as the results will always have subtle differences Acoustic foam like all foan grade formulations will differ very slightly from batch to batch so having test re done is often a way to show the best results that you have got.

The other factor can be from which part of the acoustic foam block were the individual tiles cut from. the foam density at the bottom of a foam block is a little bit denser than the foam at the top of a block because of gravity as the foam rises and cures. for these reasons foam manufacturers always have a variance on the grade for example an acoustic foam with a density of 25 kilos and a hardness of 140 newtons may have the variance of 24 to 26 kilos and 135 to 145 newtons but most of the time the foam is almost bang in the middle if anything more on the heavy side ( as all foam is sold in kilos in the raw state )

These small factors can give small changes each time testing is done on the same grade of foam cut to the exact same tile size.

Regards
Mike Comfortex Acoustics

Back