Trend of white rappers in hip-hop I have a theory

The only reason I think Macklemore and Mac Miller are big is because they are white. Macklemore is garbage to me and Mac Miller is OK, he's basically just recycling the 90s Bush Babees style of hiphop but people acting like it's brand new. The ONLY reason they are "refreshing" to people is because if they were Black they would not be put on the radio. The Radio machine must push Black stereotypes of ignorance and strip club music.

Lol I can't believe I'm the one defending Mac Miller and Macklemore. I've never heard a full Mac Miller project, I haven't heard Macklemore's album. Why? They don't play to my demographic whatsoever. But what I will say is those dudes can genuinely spit. They can genuinely rap. There biggest hits involve them putting together nice metaphors, nice wordplay, and cohesive discernable verses. These guys got on by merit. So while I don't enjoy their music personally, I'm not going to act as if they got handed what they've earned. Again these guys are all over MTV independent. You can't get a hand out from Viacom. Its a corporation. It sees green. It doesn't care if your white nor black it knows these guys can reach a fan base and get them to throw money in their direction. But here goes my counter to your arguement.

1. I'm not sure what part of the country your from but in Dallas, TX, Mac Miller gets ABSOLUTELY NO radio play. Not from Urban Radio and not from top 40 radio. He is a non presence on the radio. End of discussion. So to say people are quick to throw him support is not true. Blacks with his style don't get on the radio because NOBODY with his style gets on the radio INCLUDING HIM!!!!

2. Thrift Shop is a HIT. No Ifs, Ands, OR Buts. Its a hit. It doesn't matter if Drake, Kid Cudi, Kid Ink, J.Cole, or whoever made that song, it would be a hit. It had good timing, its entertaining, its irreverant, and its versatile for alot of different crowds. It just so happens Macklemore wrote it. No Black artists get on for making records like that because NO black artists make records like that. Honestly no one really does except maybe Eminem with things like Real Slim Shady.

3. The radio machine when it comes to music does not have any agenda whatsoever. If its popular and it doesn't offend sponsors its getting played. If a song can show empirical data that when it comes on no one changes the channel then they will play it. That's all there is to it. There is no grand scheme, there is no scientific experiment going on, if its popular its getting play.

4. Black people make strip club records and "ignorant records" because thats what they know thats what they grew up on. And also because thats what's really hot on the radio. Its a scientific fact that strip club songs are popular on the radio and dont get changed. So if your rapper that NEEDS a release date. You will make a strip club song for radio. But we say strip club song like its a BAD thing. Strip club songs ARE hip hop. Hip Hop started in a club, it started at block parties it started at Parties. Strip Clubs ARE the new clubs they are the new block parties. So Grown men make songs that reflect that.

I'm a black man from Texas and my legends are artists like Big Moe and UGK. You got Uncle Luke in Miami, You got 8ball and MJG in Tennessee, You got Three 6 Mafia. Its a laundry list of legendary respected artists that have made strip club music. So strip club music is our inspiration. Just like Talib Kweli is Macklemore's. So why do we as black men make strip club music? We go to strip clubs and we look up to artists who go to strip clubs.

Why is that the only thing on black radio? These artists aren't being bold and creative. But even that's changing. J.Cole's second biggest hit is Power Trip and song about unrequited love. Kendrick is blasting ***** Don't Kill My vibe. and Drake takes risk with his 4th and 5ths singles every album. So that dynamic is changing. Its not about a conspiracy its just about what artists are inspired by.

This is a ridiculous argument. This is like saying that rock bands that consist of all black people are going to be more successful just because they're black. It doesn't matter what race they are, if you have the musicianship and talent then you are going to make it and be successful.

It's more about their social background and experiences that defines who they are as a rapper, not the color of their skin.

couldnt agree with you more.

As a Black Man I know you can't honestly believe Corporate radio does not have an agenda and is not purposely putting out the most ignorant garbage possible. Knowing most people who even listen to "urban radio" now are usually lower income Blacks and Latinos. They even played Young Scooter I can make Cocaine on the radio for a while here. I'm in California btw.

As a Black Man I know you can't honestly believe Corporate radio does not have an agenda and is not purposely putting out the most ignorant garbage possible. Knowing most people who even listen to "urban radio" now are usually lower income Blacks and Latinos. They even played Young Scooter I can make Cocaine on the radio for a while here. I'm in California btw.

corporate radios only agenda is to make money and play songs that'll get spins. If polka became the hottest thing out. then they would be playing polka. And I think it's already been said that the biggest consumers of "urban" music are white people.

corporate radios only agenda is to make money and play songs that'll get spins. If polka became the hottest thing out. then they would be playing polka.

True, but how would polka become popular in the first place if the radio didn't already play it? It's still the same as saying, "If the fans demanded 'good' music, the radio would play 'good' music." But the fans aren't exposed to "good" music unless they look for it elsewhere than the radio. And many listeners still just don't do look for it independently.

True, but how would polka become popular in the first place if the radio didn't already play it? It's still the same as saying, "If the fans demanded 'good' music, the radio would play 'good' music." But the fans aren't exposed to "good" music unless they look for it elsewhere than the radio. And many listeners still just don't do look for it independently.

because people will actively seek out "good" music. and there are plenty examples of previously unknown artist getting radio spins. Soulja Boy, Trinidad James, Frank Ocean, Jay Cole, Chief Keef all get plays on the radio. There once was a time when all of these guys got no play. also with youtube views being counted into the billboard charts you're gonna start seeing more diversity on the radio

corporate radios only agenda is to make money and play songs that'll get spins. If polka became the hottest thing out. then they would be playing polka. And I think it's already been said that the biggest consumers of "urban" music are white people.

Radio is a brainwashing tool, you play anything on radio enough it will get popular. They could beat just about anything into anybody's head daily and familiarity will make people scream ohhhhhhhhh when they play it in a club. When Juveniles Back that ass up first dropped I played it at a club and it had not gone into major Radio rotation out here yet and nobody knew what the hell was going on and just sort of stood around. The song is dope regardless and you can dance to that shit easy, but because nobody knew what it was they didn't really dance or get excited. BTW I said Urban Radio listeners not consumers. People listening to Urban radio are probably downloading bootlegged albums.

As soon as corporations took over creativity as a marketable product, they made themselves able to dictate the rules. It shouldn't amaze anyone that hip hop is being white washed and taken over. Every genre of music that has black origin has been taken over by whites. That's what they do. They steal popular culture and adopt it as their own. In the end it was enevitable. The dollar is more important than anything else. White people being the top consumers of "urban" music means they control it? They should be catered to? This decline in real rap and hip hop music happened because the "industry" let Soulja Boy speak for an entire generation as to what they'll accept.

There is a grand corporate conspiracy. If there weren't then every radio station would be playing positive, vibrant, music that encouraged education and genuine fellowship with mankind all the time.

Peace.

I haven't got much to say in this, just wanna point something out.

It seems to me like a majority of our minority members feel race plays a key part in you selling alot of records while majority of our "majorities" think that's a ridiculous concept. I could go into how logic should easily weigh the scales from this point...but it's easier to just ask... if Macklemore was black, are we really gonna say he would've had the success he has with the music he makes?

And I'm a guy who considers Eminem one of the nicest lyricists to do it ever. But also know if not for certain factors, he'd be another Canibus, Rass Kass, Sean Price, Pun, or Big L. Couldn't even guarantee he'd reach B.I.G.'s success...pretty sure he wouldn't.

Same time, I'd have to wonder if Tech N9ne would have the fanbase he does if it didn't trickle down from fans Em introduced.

But now I've given too much opinion....OPINION. I don't know nothing, I'm just some idiot posting in a forum.

Last edited:
As soon as corporations took over creativity as a marketable product, they made themselves able to dictate the rules. It shouldn't amaze anyone that hip hop is being white washed and taken over. Every genre of music that has black origin has been taken over by whites. That's what they do. They steal popular culture and adopt it as their own. In the end it was enevitable. The dollar is more important than anything else. White people being the top consumers of "urban" music means they control it? They should be catered to? This decline in real rap and hip hop music happened because the "industry" let Soulja Boy speak for an entire generation as to what they'll accept.

Exactly! If you need proof of this just look at where R&B is heading. Where are all the platinum black R&B artists? History repeats itself over and over. The same thing happened to rock music among other genres.

There is a grand corporate conspiracy. If there weren't then every radio station would be playing positive, vibrant, music that encouraged education and genuine fellowship with mankind all the time.

Peace.

How many artists you know make positive, vibrant, music that encourages education and genuine fellowship? And I'm not letting corporations off the hook, but before you blame them you have to look at each individual, their intrinsic or extrinsic value systems and their overall contribution.

Personally speaking, I don't make educational music that is vibrant, positive, etc because my outlook of the world is based on realism, nihilism and a couple of other things I don't feel like going into right now.

The point is, there is a time and place for everything and, in the real world, everything isn't peaches and cream, birds chirping, sunshine, etc.

Never go full retard, mmmkay kids?

If hip hop had been taken over by the mid-80s, then no early-90s "Golden Era" would've been possible; YET, it was PRECISELY during that era, that over 90 (!!!) % of all Hip Hop records were bought by White fans. It's also no coincidence that precisely DURING THAT TIME OF "EVIL EXPLOITATION", super-Black-super-real-super-racially-pure Hip Hoppers of yours SOLD THE MOST RECORDS AND MADE THE MOST MONEY. Since 90% of their records were bought by Evil White Fans, guess who made them rich?

Just a tip: it wasn't Bootleggin' Bobby from Brooklyn, mmmkaayyy?

And just in case, you ever want to go full-retard again; nobody gave a f**k about apes playing that "nigger music" in clubs and seducing innocent white girls with that jungle noise they called Jazz............until same Black musicians, respected in Europe, were playing in Paris, London or Berlin. Guess what? In front of white audiences. Why? Because Blacks didn't give a f**k about them. Yet they bought into the white-washed Motown bullshit, the moment they released the first record.

Do I have to go deeper and remind you of the whole Philly thing they used to call Disco, Blacks thought wasn't "cool", until it hit Studio 54, where all of a sudden, it was "Black Music" again (nevermind, that most fans, DJs and buyers were white, who cares, right? Once it's successful, it's "real Black shit" again, right? When it's not becoming successful, Whitey f**ked it up, huh? LOL).

What about Chicago House? Where is that?

The ignorance of Black Americans about their own culture and history.
F**k, the WORST diss of all times comes from whigga Eminem, dissing Moby about how "nobody listens to Techno!".......LOL, full-retard-mode, him coming from Detroit, the birthplace of Techno (!!!!), at a time, where wannabe-whiggaz asked their parents to buy an Eminem ticket, while at some Techno parties OVER A MILLION PEOPLE were raving to this shit. Ignorance.

So yeah, next time you sub-genre tanks, blame it on Whitey not buying enough of it............but when it becomes the new mainstream and shady figures like P Diddy and other cultural rip offs like Jay Z make millions with it.......claim it to be straight from Africa cultural world heritage.

Yup, let's start with P Diddys Harlem Shake and Jay Z's I'm a hustla-lyrics. 'Cause if that ain't the Mt.Everest of Black American culture, then I don't know what is.
Whitey has Shakespear, Goethe, Newton, but he's just jealous of the Harlem Shake and 2Chainz deep lyricism.

SMFH

I'm assuming from what I read in here that white rappers are more prominent then black rappers in the media. In that case yes it is just more about aesthetics then anything else. It feels pretty horrible to say, but it's reality. When the quality of the product is lacking to the general audience it becomes more about the packaging. I'm just saying this because I'm completely convinced that this explains the situation.

90's -less access to music tools and learning material = less artists making quality music = easier to impress an audience

2000's onward-more access to music tools and learning material = more artists making quality music = alot harder to impress an audience

With that said even the quality music that is out there is questionable as alot of it is not really innovating at all. It's sort of in a limbo, the format of the music is basically the same besides the few little gimmicks someone has luck sprinkling on it every so often. As this happens the novelty wears off and the music just becomes background noise in the club/bar/car stereo/etc. For example you don't see anyone hanging around the radio waiting for that one jam to play, because there's no thrill in it.There isn't any excitement for the music alone. We don't have the attention span to be occupied by the music on it's own. Whether it's just because the music is just same ol, same ol to us or that our society is geared towards the abundance of distractions that exponentially crop up thanks to technology. lol

Now when you have a sea of mediocre artists, it's more likely that the packaging of the artist/brand is going to be a whole lot more important. They have to court you into believing that it's in there best interest (being hip) to support your crap. Otherwise white kids might just genuinely connect to a white guy who goes through all that white stuff that they go through...hehe...

I don't feel that racism is propagating out of the music really as much as it is just people trying to make money off of the current environment. We can all still agree that society isn't perfect. Sure the sentiment of the business practice is questionable but so is every other aspect of society.

Shit in = Shit out

But lets just admit that there's nothing really special about any of the music that the most of us are making and call it a day.otherwise If you have a way to sharpen my logic or just show me that i need to throw it out altogether I would be happy.

Last edited:
Back