Trend of white rappers in hip-hop I have a theory

Alejandro Beats

Hi everyone,
I have been seeing more and more white rappers with substance and a message.The question is why all the sudden are all of these artists coming out of no were and becoming main stream?I believe that the major labels are looking to make a new hip-hop genre has a large white suburban following with in the next 5 years.Personally I don't see this as a negative,but I am curious to what the FP thoughts are on this subject.In my opinion rock music has fallen off even worse then hip-hop so young teens need to gravitate to something and this leaves a big opportunity for labels to jump on.

Naw not a very valid theory....

Two major holes in your position.... Hip hop is already majority white when it comes to listeners. Its been well documented. There the ones who buy albums and go to concerts. They have been the main fan base for awhile. Plus if you factor in Europe its been on the white majority for awhile

The other idea that its a plot by the majors is also false. If you name the biggest white rappers in the game, everyone except Eminem is COMPLETELY independent and really came up out of nowhere on their own

Mac Miller - Rostrum - Completely Indie no ties to a major

Action Bronson - Completely Indie to start. Might have signed to TDE, who's technically on Aftermath. But TDE operates like an Indie and I doubt they answer to a label head's marching orders

Macklemore - is so Indie I cant remember his labels name

And even Eminem who is no question major, is so big of an Artist on Interscope, that what he says goes. If he doesn't get his way, board of trustee's members don't eat. So if Eminem and Dre aint with something no one makes money on Interscope.

Basically these white rappers came up spitting hard. All the conscious rappers and major lyrical rappers have had a large white following like Nas or Talib Kweli so its natural that they inspired a generation of white guys to come spitting. Then they come out rapping about things white kids can finally relate to personally and of course they blow up faster.

But what it really boils down to is that these artists don't force an image, they don't really play a part because if they did they would instantly be called out Vanilla Ice, so to even get as far as they have they have to be the most honest and real. That's what hip hop has been lacking for awhile and thats the reason for the recent success for black artists like Kendrick, J.Cole, Wale, Danny Brown, and even Big Sean and Drake to an extent. They don't play a part they just talk about how their side of life is.

These white rappers that are getting all this praise are doing nothing different than Black rappers that are underground. It's just that white fans are now exposed to rappers who look like them so they are gravitating towards white rappers because they are white. People act like they are "Refreshing" when in reality there are dozens of Black rappers just as dope if not doper.

These white rappers that are getting all this praise are doing nothing different than Black rappers that are underground. It's just that white fans are now exposed to rappers who look like them so they are gravitating towards white rappers because they are white. People act like they are "Refreshing" when in reality there are dozens of Black rappers just as dope if not doper.

There is truth to this.

Read this article on the Beatles, the most overrated and worthless band in history and you'll see how it applies today.

The History of Rock Music. Beatles: biography, discography, reviews, links

Here's an excerpt:

Beatles' "aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll: it replaced syncopated african rhythm with linear western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles.

The article is spot on about the Beatles. I'm surprised the author didn't get smoked, lol.

Last edited:

I dont think that's fair to say. I do think they take off faster because their white but they aren't more successful then black rappers because of their skin. In fact they have to overcome that and consciously avoid certain things because people will call them out for being white. But alot of the music they make is in fact refreshing. I thought Thrift Shop was a black dude's song. I had no idea who dude was but a song about hipster thrift shopping was bound to take off, it just so happens a white dude thought of it first.

and yes theirs black dudes underground who are doper. But theirs black dudes underground doper then some of the top black rappers too! The question is how much appeal does their music capture on a mass level? Or is it just a niche? Do they even know who their target audience is? and most importantly do they know people? Because that's really the only question that matters.

These white dudes use the same bloggers, writers, tv shows, and radio stations to get on that the black dudes use. You have to know the taste makers to blow up on that level.

Only a handful of white rappers blow up anyway. I can only think of EM, Macklemore and Mac Miller. Most others are pretty irrelevant

The only reason I think Macklemore and Mac Miller are big is because they are white. Macklemore is garbage to me and Mac Miller is OK, he's basically just recycling the 90s Bush Babees style of hiphop but people acting like it's brand new. The ONLY reason they are "refreshing" to people is because if they were Black they would not be put on the radio. The Radio machine must push Black stereotypes of ignorance and strip club music.

I dont think that's fair to say. I do think they take off faster because their white but they aren't more successful then black rappers because of their skin. In fact they have to overcome that and consciously avoid certain things because people will call them out for being white. But alot of the music they make is in fact refreshing. I thought Thrift Shop was a black dude's song. I had no idea who dude was but a song about hipster thrift shopping was bound to take off, it just so happens a white dude thought of it first.

and yes theirs black dudes underground who are doper. But theirs black dudes underground doper then some of the top black rappers too! The question is how much appeal does their music capture on a mass level? Or is it just a niche? Do they even know who their target audience is? and most importantly do they know people? Because that's really the only question that matters.

These white dudes use the same bloggers, writers, tv shows, and radio stations to get on that the black dudes use. You have to know the taste makers to blow up on that level.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculous argument. This is like saying that rock bands that consist of all black people are going to be more successful just because they're black. It doesn't matter what race they are, if you have the musicianship and talent then you are going to make it and be successful.

It's more about their social background and experiences that defines who they are as a rapper, not the color of their skin.

Hi everyone,
I have been seeing more and more white rappers with substance and a message.The question is why all the sudden are all of these artists coming out of no were and becoming main stream?I believe that the major labels are looking to make a new hip-hop genre has a large white suburban following with in the next 5 years.Personally I don't see this as a negative,but I am curious to what the FP thoughts are on this subject.In my opinion rock music has fallen off even worse then hip-hop so young teens need to gravitate to something and this leaves a big opportunity for labels to jump on.

Hip Hop has had a large white suburban following from Day #2.

First of all Rock is Black music. Second of all Black rock bands have traditionally been shit on by white audiences. Fishbone is one example. Just like Darius Rucker getting shit on by White country fans for being Black. Unlike Whites, Blacks are too accepting.

This is a ridiculous argument. This is like saying that rock bands that consist of all black people are going to be more successful just because they're black. It doesn't matter what race they are, if you have the musicianship and talent then you are going to make it and be successful.

It's more about their social background and experiences that defines who they are as a rapper, not the color of their skin.

First of all Rock is Black music. Second of all Black rock bands have traditionally been shit on by white audiences. Fishbone is one example. Just like Darius Rucker getting shit on by White country fans for being Black. Unlike Whites, Blacks are too accepting.
i think religion has a lot to do with that.
but i dont think that its about them not being accepting but more about them feeling threatened

Last edited:

Black rockers have not "traditionally" been shit on by white audiences. Jimi? A bunch of great 70's funk bands. Bad Brains. Living Colour. All legendary. Fishbone? Most rock fans I know love them. Check their appearance on Arsenio back in the day... face-melting.

Darius Rucker gets shit on because he's playing to a certain demographic in this country. I live in the close suburbs of NYC, where yes, white people listen to rap. But those same people usually do NOT listen to country. It's a different audience, imo. Or maybe, since I don't do country, I'm not exposed to it.

The only reason I think Macklemore and Mac Miller are big is because they are white. Macklemore is garbage to me and Mac Miller is OK, he's basically just recycling the 90s Bush Babees style of hiphop but people acting like it's brand new. The ONLY reason they are "refreshing" to people is because if they were Black they would not be put on the radio. The Radio machine must push Black stereotypes of ignorance and strip club music.

that's the thing. I only here thrift shop on the radio from Macklemore and I only here Mac Miller when I'm online. I've never heard a single song of his on the radio. To say that white rappers are more likely to succeed in hip hop is stupid. Most don't. Maybe every once in a while a hit might be made from a white rapper, but they tend not to have sustained success

Eminem and The Beastie Boys are two of the most famous, widely recognized and succesful rappers/rap groups of all time. All white.

that's the thing. I only here thrift shop on the radio from Macklemore and I only here Mac Miller when I'm online. I've never heard a single song of his on the radio. To say that white rappers are more likely to succeed in hip hop is stupid. Most don't. Maybe every once in a while a hit might be made from a white rapper, but they tend not to have sustained success

Agreed. I haven't seen any with sustained success besides Eminem & The Beasties.

Mac Miller is pretty big though as far as rappers go. He has his own television show on MTV2 now and I have seen his music videos multiple times on that network as well. I just don't think that most of his music is very radio friendly and doesn't sell to the "pop" radio crowd.

Mackelmore is most likely going to be a phase, but he does have two huge hits as of recently. Definitely more radio friendly.

Being old as dirt I can confirm this, it was really grou-ps like wu-tang, snoop and NWA that blew hip hop into the mainstream. When I was young it was the skater culture that first really picked up on the genre. especially skater tapes that would use it as backing music. There were a few groups like the beastie boys, but they never had the status that many other groups attained (not that they weren't originators, Paul's Boutique is a brilliant album for it's time) nor did they ever become the norm.

I don't see why it would change now, though I have noticed it appears there are more white emcees than in the past. Perhaps maybe more people are comfortable jumping in and giving it a go having grown up around hip hop.

Back