Trance money

What about tracks that need or dont need vocals? How would you make money off of a killer instrumental track?

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Anyone with experience?

What about tracks that need or dont need vocals? How would you make money off of a killer instrumental track?

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Anyone with experience?

There, my friend lies the rub. You need vocals in order for it to get some serious airplay on radio. But true house heads know that vocals can kill a great dance track, especially if they appear tacked on just to get airplay on radio. A and B sides.

You will make money off the gigs as a DJ but you need the tracks to get you there so hone your craft, send your tracks out to as many DJ's, record labels and blogs as possible and start trying to create a demand for your name.

Yup exactly what Sub Level Music says. It's really all about making great tracks and, sending them out while DJ'ing. If you do instrumental music just find bloggers, radio djs (even small ones), and anyone you can think of to play your music. The more familiar people are with your music the more comfortable they will become with you. The music will lead to bigger and, better things down the road the more your on it.

I love the hustle involved with promoting electronic music. The amount of potential fans is overwhelming; however, monetizing them is the tough part as the genre is saturated with producers and DJs.

It's good to remember that pretty much every single trance track you love was made by a producer who's enjoying what they do and not getting paid what they deserve for the awesome music they create.

Last edited:
do it for tha love of music . goto partys, gigs and clubs and meet djs givm free demos and watch everyone dance to your shit. its the best feeling lol hustle up player!

check my shit out player its crackn

www . soundcloud . com / soter602er

Here is my take on making money in the trance music business, it is in-depth and I think very realistic.

To 'break out' nowadays you need great up-to-date production techniques, a unique song that is still within your genre and I would say something close to what is currently popular. It can not be generic trance, it needs something extra. A lot of times this will be a remix of an already popular song which I will explain in the next paragraph.

It's great to talk about promoting yourself but let me give specific examples of how some have "made it". I have heard of people sending a track to a DJ and getting signed. Yup, that "easy". A lot of times it is a remix contest (like I said above in regards to a remix), someone wins the contest by making a wicked remix and they get recognized and signed. If you think you have a killer track send it to every producer/DJ/company that you LIKE and try your hand at some remixing contests.

That brings me to an important point. You really need to be a fan of the music. Listen to DJs, their sets/podcats/radio shows (www.alldj.org) and send them your stuff. These guys actually listen, or have others listen, to tracks because they are looking for new great music. I read one of my fave DJs Judge Jules gets something like 100+ songs a week sent to him, has someone go through them, and then forwards him a few songs to listen to. Then he might pick one or two to play on his weekly DJ radio show. So again, you need a really good track, you need talent. I actually sent him a song and got a reply he would listen to it, but lets be honest, the song just wasn't good enough and I didn't hear back again.

Another guy you might have heard of is deadmau5 lol, read up on him and see how he did it (deadmau5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadmau5). He invested a lot of time in making music -- "Zimmerman's career began during the 1990s, his sound influenced greatly by the chiptune movement. In 2005, he released Project 56, a compilation of fifty-six demos" - I would say that is some dedication, now he is one of the biggest names in dance music. It also appears like he hustled and started his own record company along with Ultra (biggest trance label IMO) and Ministry of Sound.

Another guy that I absolutely love is Arty. Check him out if you haven't heard of him, he has killer remixes and originals and gets love from all the big acts like Above & Beyond, Armin etc. He is 21, from Russia, and all he uses is FL studio, not even any hardware synths. He's just that good.

Also www.beatport.com - this is how a lot of dance producers used to make their money and still do somewhat though it's not as popular as it used to be. I would try that out as it's still decently popular and people can make some cash if they get a top song. I've heard of DJs downloading the top songs of beatport.com for their live sets if they are being lazy lol.

Now let me say two big warnings. One is a lot of times, in combination with talent, it's LUCK. Yes, some people are just at the right place at the right time, or send a track and someone for some reason listened to it and loved it... who knows. That's why you can never bet on "making" it in the music business as a big act because of this factor combined with the other stuff I talked about.

The other factor is you might love music now, but once you have to do it for a JOB, where you HAVE to make music it can become very stressful and lose it's passion/joy.
Hope that helps :)

Here is my take on making money in the trance music business, it is in-depth and I think very realistic.

To 'break out' nowadays you need great up-to-date production techniques, a unique song that is still within your genre and I would say something close to what is currently popular. It can not be generic trance, it needs something extra. A lot of times this will be a remix of an already popular song which I will explain in the next paragraph.

It's great to talk about promoting yourself but let me give specific examples of how some have "made it". I have heard of people sending a track to a DJ and getting signed. Yup, that "easy". A lot of times it is a remix contest (like I said above in regards to a remix), someone wins the contest by making a wicked remix and they get recognized and signed. If you think you have a killer track send it to every producer/DJ/company that you LIKE and try your hand at some remixing contests.

That brings me to an important point. You really need to be a fan of the music. Listen to DJs, their sets/podcats/radio shows (www.alldj.org) and send them your stuff. These guys actually listen, or have others listen, to tracks because they are looking for new great music. I read one of my fave DJs Judge Jules gets something like 100+ songs a week sent to him, has someone go through them, and then forwards him a few songs to listen to. Then he might pick one or two to play on his weekly DJ radio show. So again, you need a really good track, you need talent. I actually sent him a song and got a reply he would listen to it, but lets be honest, the song just wasn't good enough and I didn't hear back again.

Another guy you might have heard of is deadmau5 lol, read up on him and see how he did it (deadmau5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). He invested a lot of time in making music -- "Zimmerman's career began during the 1990s, his sound influenced greatly by the chiptune movement. In 2005, he released Project 56, a compilation of fifty-six demos" - I would say that is some dedication, now he is one of the biggest names in dance music. It also appears like he hustled and started his own record company along with Ultra (biggest trance label IMO) and Ministry of Sound.

Another guy that I absolutely love is Arty. Check him out if you haven't heard of him, he has killer remixes and originals and gets love from all the big acts like Above & Beyond, Armin etc. He is 21, from Russia, and all he uses is FL studio, not even any hardware synths. He's just that good.

Also www.beatport.com - this is how a lot of dance producers used to make their money and still do somewhat though it's not as popular as it used to be. I would try that out as it's still decently popular and people can make some cash if they get a top song. I've heard of DJs downloading the top songs of beatport.com for their live sets if they are being lazy lol.

Now let me say two big warnings. One is a lot of times, in combination with talent, it's LUCK. Yes, some people are just at the right place at the right time, or send a track and someone for some reason listened to it and loved it... who knows. That's why you can never bet on "making" it in the music business as a big act because of this factor combined with the other stuff I talked about.

The other factor is you might love music now, but once you have to do it for a JOB, where you HAVE to make music it can become very stressful and lose it's passion/joy.

Excellent advice and very true.

Another guy you might have heard of is deadmau5 lol, read up on him and see how he did it (deadmau5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadmau5). He invested a lot of time in making music -- "Zimmerman's career began during the 1990s, his sound influenced greatly by the chiptune movement. In 2005, he released Project 56, a compilation of fifty-six demos" - I would say that is some dedication, now he is one of the biggest names in dance music. It also appears like he hustled and started his own record company along with Ultra (biggest trance label IMO) and Ministry of Sound.

EXCELLENT write up and very very true.

Back