Studio Set up help - mixer, audio interface

whiterabbit

Hi Y'all,

I want to list below all my equipment and I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice on set up etc.

PC - Ableton Live
MPC 2500
Moog Slim Phatty
Dave Smith Tetra
Microkorg (also as midi key board)
Focusrite 2i4
KRK Rokit 6

MPC, Tetra & Microkorg are all stereo, so need 2 outputs each, Slim Phatty only one output. So in total I need something to I can plug all 7 into (hopefully with a little room incase I purchase more instruments)

My focusrite only has 2 inputs.

My question is (im on a limited budget at the moment) Should I:

1) save up and buy an audio interface with 7 plus inputs - which will probably cost £400 upwards)
2) Buy a mixer - so everything can be ran through that and then out to audio interface.

I know mixer's can be very expensive also but is there a mixer that could do this job?

Im hoping for something under £200

Any help would be appreciated

Look at the Behringer - MX40 + appropriate cable converters. everything <$50
Save up and then get a proper mixer.

Last edited:
Wow - a solution for that cheap!!!

I know it wont be amazing but it looks like it will help my situation for now.

Read quite a few decent reviews aswell.

Cheers for that

Now that we have such large track counts the mixer tends to be viewed as a routing and monitoring solution more than a solution for mixing multiple channels to a single track.

When it comes to routing I prefer to use a cheap patch bay over a mixer which can potentially add noise and color the sound, the only downside to this is that you can't monitor lots of hardware prior to recording, if you record as you go it's not a problem but I still like to be able to monitor my gear, for that I use a cheap 16 channel sub mixer, that is a mixer without Mic inputs or any EQ, it's for line level stuff such as keyboards.

Back