Soundcloud Transcoding issue PLEASE HELP

levoxmusic

Hey guys, so for a while ive been having these issues with soundcloud where i upload a file and soundcloud will make parts of it sound terrible almost as if it has a huge chorus on it. I read that they trans code mp3 so i checked and the sample thats sounding "CHORUSY" is a wav file anyway and im uploading wav to soundcloud as well. Here is a preview. It is noticeable on the voice at the start and throughout many of my songs on drops and hihats.

(Also i do have a phaser on the voice in the intro however it does not sound like that )

If someone knows a fix please inform me as this has shown a great decrease in quality in my songs.
Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
what is your bit depth on the wav file and the sample rate?

is this a mono mix?

certainly has lots of "space monkeys" present - twitters and gurgles, mostly to do with the phased voice being altered during conversion

Hey yeh its not mono and im uploading 24 bit.
Not familiar with "space monkeys"
so do you think this is fixable cause its in all of my tracks and they sound terrible.

space monkeys is a term used by Bob Katz to describe the artefacts that we can both hear here ~ as noted above twitters and gurgles mostly but also some strange phase related issues also

have you tried 16 bit/44.1 instead of 24 bit (there is no point in using anything better for distribution purposes)?

you might also try the 320kbps stereo CBR mp3 conversion by you and then upload (though imo, you can still get artefacts that are related to their transcoding process) - I do not do this myself but others here swear by it (some quite vehemently in pms)

one thing you could try and do is add about 10ms of dead air at the start of your tracks and reupload and monitor the outcome - that is about the amount of additional samples most mp3 encoders add during the conversion process

I note that you have edited your original response, which I received as a daily update, eliminating the things I wanted to address directly in your last post

using 320kbps is not the same as using 16/44.1 there is a quality difference of 4x (actually a difference in bitrate of ca 4x as 16/44.1 is 1411.2kbps)

I do not believe that you should use 320kbps as an upload format unless you are happy with the download quality being less than optimal

if you "turn up" the bitrate you are effectively increasing the quality because you are applying less data reduction to the audio - whether the algorithm in use will result in better or worse quality is tied to too many other factors (the Frauenhoffer algorithm is the one typically used for MP3, though some folks prefer other algorithms to avoid paying patent royalties)

Back