So Jay-z Wants Your Beat For His Next Project...

Why do you even need to charge an advance. Jay-Z is basically guaranteed to recoup. I would try and negotiate for more points on the back end. I would want at least 5% but I would start with 7% and we can negotiate down.

but im not immediately become rich and famous after doing ONE beat for jay-z
(see the Buchanans, Aqua)

Man I was thinking the SAME thing!

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Some people are being REALLY unrealistic. You're not getting a 7% royalty on the back end on a Jay-Z record. It's NOT happening.

You're gonna be lucky to get 3%.

And his a&r's and management is peob gon dig in your pockets so deep that you'd be lucky to walk away with lunch money. lol

Why do you even need to charge an advance. Jay-Z is basically guaranteed to recoup. I would try and negotiate for more points on the back end. I would want at least 5% but I would start with 7% and we can negotiate down.

The advance is to at least cover your attorney retainer and related fees. Don't EVER start off a negotiation with a major-label backed artist by waiving any advance fees, they will take that as a green light to keep ALL your back end especially if you don't have a real discography and/or are represented by a powerful manager/lawyer/label exec.

Last edited:
No upfront money cuz its just a loan anyway.

I would ask for 50% publishing & want 6 points but settle for 3. Done Deal!

Then use that album credit to get on every project i can from Nas to Soldier Boy.
It's all about the opportunity & the hustle.

what the hell am i gonna do to keep my lights until jay-z puts that album out? what if its a year later?
what if he DOESNT put the album out? then all that future income i was doing the birdman handrub for is gone
they're giving you 3 points on the album. thats standard. you're not timbaland, youre not pharrell. you dont have a huge discography or relationship with him. so you're sacrificing money for no reason.
dont get me wrong. i'd take a photo of that check and frame that suminabitch cuz that's JAY-Z. but still he expects to be charged.

Yall crazy talking about no advance, **** dat what you goin do until the album/song gets released?

My quesion to y'all saying the advance is a loan how so lets you as the producer got a 7k advance and the album/song doesnt recoup do you have to pay that back? or the difference between that and how much was recouped? Cause if not then is not a loan. A loan is something you have to pay back irregardless.

Even of you don't take an advance, you won't see a check until all other expenses on the album are recouped unless you have one hell of a contract that would take you one hell of a lawyer to get that would cost more than your royalties will cover anyways.

Haha, Jay Z wants to buy beats from amature internet (basement) producers? Isnt that kinda emberrassing? Jay Z is one of the richest rappers, he has a huge connection and with all that he could propably get ANY producer in the world to record for him. But no, he chooses to purchase internet beats.

Music truely IS dead.

Haha, Jay Z wants to buy beats from amature internet (basement) producers? Isnt that kinda emberrassing? Jay Z is one of the richest rappers, he has a huge connection and with all that he could propably get ANY producer in the world to record for him. But no, he chooses to purchase internet beats.

Music truely IS dead.

apparently so is intelligence and common sense

With the trash he's been dropping lately I'd need at the very least 10 million dollars.
If Jay Z want's true individualism and talent he gotta pay...

That's just how the game go.....

hahaha id give them 10000 and take it up the a$$, just give me a tag in the song! once in a lifetime chance

Last edited:
^ That's the gayest thing I've ever heard...
Please edit that to save yourself the embarrassment.

haha hell no! its a metaphor but the point remains! the exposure alone would be miles beyond anything you could do on your own, other artist wanting to work with you, it would be like a foot in the door, provided you were good and worked at it but the possibility that could come from something like that could be endless

haha hell no! its a metaphor but the point remains! the exposure alone would be miles beyond anything you could do on your own, other artist wanting to work with you, it would be like a foot in the door, provided you were good and worked at it but the possibility that could come from something like that could be endless

I get what your saying.

But you have to admit it was still pretty gay even if you were joking.

On the internet some statements are taken literally because your tone isnt heard.

"What did you say nigga!"

WHAT DID YOU SAY, NIGGA?! 1974 - YouTube

Lol, that was funny but in a music industry that has a significant amount of homosexuals in decision-making positions you definitely would be wise to say what you mean and mean what you say...

I'm sure no one is going to care wtf tagg production says....unless of course Jay-Z picks his beat. :)
Directed at the other two guys. Legal Dollaz is probably right haha

Last edited:
Back