So Jay-z Wants Your Beat For His Next Project...

Let me do some adlibs, my own bridge chorus, let me create the video to the song that will allow me to be a star in the video..........keep the money...all of it.

If it was Nas i would say free and 10% pub, but since its jay I'd say free and 20% pub. Gotta argee with what Troup said, if my name on the credits on the album I would be getting opportunities from all over.
Nice hypothetical Legal!

If it was Nas i would say free and 10% pub, but since its jay I'd say free and 20% pub. Gotta argee with what Troup said, if my name on the credits on the album I would be getting opportunities from all over.
Nice hypothetical Legal!

You're gonna just tell them 10% pub off bat? LMAO

can someone clear up the difference between royalties and publishing? The publishing is the stuff with the pro right? That pays each time the song is spun or synced, but what are royalties? Part of album sales?

So the three basic things in a real deal beat negotiation are

1. Advance (upfront money)

2. Publishing percentage (registering the song with a PRO)

3. Royalties (money from album sales??)

Last edited:
First off. I will work with him and create/ give him all the beats he wants until he decides which one is a definite album placement. Once I'm guaranteed an album placement, here is the deal:

If the song will be an album filler:
5k 1-3pts 50% pub

If its a single: FREE with video cameo, song shoutout. This would be more of an endorsement deal than anything. I wouldnt care about the money. If this is my first big placement from the biggest name in hip-hop and i give him a hit single, and he shouts me out and endorses me. The money is guaranteed.

Having a first placement you should already be expecting a screwjob, if its a single or not. If im not going to have money, at least i will bind this nigga to a contract saying he has to endorse me or refer me to his employees or other artists

These are the details of doing business that I've always wondered about, good post Legal

honestly I would produce Jay Z for free lol. There aren't many people who I would say that about but if I got the chance to produce Jay for free I'd do it just make sure I get my credits and my plaque. I can use that Jay Z credit to produce for multiple unknowns at top dollar.

There will more than likely be a sample that needs to be cleared, so I'd want $10-15k and waive all rights to royalties(that's a deal to Jay, one of the few artists worth even trying that with at entry level). Royalties wouldn't be much anyway after original composers get their cut.

Jay-Z once actually reached out to me for a track and discussed me paying him $2k to use it. Sounded wierd so I backed out. Most people say that was dumb, I even had friends willing to put it up when I declined to, but WTF is 2k to Jay? I felt like it would bite me in the azz somehow. If he had said $10k I woulda just said, "cool, but I can't afford it", but 2k just seemed real suspect. Not sure if I missed a big opportunity or not to this day.

Last edited:
There will more than likely be a sample that needs to be cleared, so I'd want $10-15k and waive all rights to royalties(that's a deal to Jay, one of the few artists worth even trying that with at entry level). Royalties wouldn't be much anyway after original composers get their cut.

Jay-Z once actually reached out to me for a track and discussed me paying him $2k to use it. Sounded wierd so I backed out. Most people say that was dumb, I even had friends willing to put it up when I declined to, but WTF is 2k to Jay? I felt like it would bite me in the azz somehow. If he had said $10k I woulda just said, "cool, but I can't afford it", but 2k just seemed real suspect. Not sure if I missed a big opportunity or not to this day.

This is actually pretty interesting, what if Jay actually did reach out to ya but hit ya with "you would have to pay ME to rap on your track" how would ya respond then?

Personally, i would pay the 2K as long as i get credited and i knew this track was going on a solo Jay album.

I would run with that whole angle and piggy back off his name.

Last edited:
can someone clear up the difference between royalties and publishing? The publishing is the stuff with the pro right? That pays each time the song is spun or synced, but what are royalties? Part of album sales?

So the three basic things in a real deal beat negotiation are

1. Advance (upfront money)

2. Publishing percentage (registering the song with a PRO)

3. Royalties (money from album sales??)

I did a big long post detailing what publishing is, and how it's calculated. You should check it out.

But PUBLISHING in this sense, is mostly talking about MECHANICAL PUBLISHING (in number of units sold). In 2012, if you do a beat for a song, and you own 100% of your publishing, you're entitled to 2.75 cents ($0.0275) in Mechanical Publishing royalties, and another 2.75 cents ($0.0275) in Composer royalties.

When people are saying "half of my publishing", they are talking about 50% of that $0.0275, calculated on a per song basis.

"Royalties" is just a percentage of the wholesale price (how much the record is sold to record stores for) times the number of units sold.

So say someone was getting 3% royalty rate on a song that sold for $1 each, and owned half of their publishing, they would get...

$0.0275 (Composer Mechanicals Royalty)
+
$0.01375 (Half of $0.0275 Mechanical Publishing Royalty)
+
$0.0300 (3% of $1.00 Royalty rate of Wholesale Price of Song)

----------------------

$0.07125 (7.125 cents) per song sold.

So then you can do the multiplication from there.

Oh...any ADVANCE that you got up front, is subtracted from your royalties BEFORE you get them...that ADVANCE is a LOAN. You gotta pay it back from the money you get from sales.

This is an extremely simplified version of what happens in the real world.

Hope this helps. And read that thread I made. I think it was named something like PRODUCERS DONT DESERVE ROYALTIES or something like that.

I was checkin out a thread you posted the other day about PRO's n what not, you drop some game for sure. So I guess this 'points' thing is just slang for the percentage of royalties?

I was checkin out a thread you posted the other day about PRO's n what not, you drop some game for sure. So I guess this 'points' thing is just slang for the percentage of royalties?

That's what most people think, but POINTS are something entirely different.

If you've ever been to a Dave & Busters, and you know how you buy POINTS to play the video games...but you can never really calculate how many "points" equates to how many real world dollars?

Yeah...it's kinda like that. There's alot of (sneaky) calculations behind "points". So that's why I like to talk in PERCENTAGES.

so basically...statutory royalty rate means nothing and you have to negotiate that shit every time you get a song on the album?

It means everything...until you sign it away.

You can keep 100% of your publishing...and your beat...in you bedroom.

the hell? you know youre not negotiating with jay-z himself right?
his lawyer and yours will be going over the agreement. jay-z wont get mad at you and stop being your friend.

im going with atleast 5k. probably start at 7.
sure i wanna make a good impression but im not immediately become rich and famous after doing ONE beat for jay-z
(see the Buchanans, Aqua)
i still need that cake.
jay expects to be charged, its a business.

the hell? you know youre not negotiating with jay-z himself right?
his lawyer and yours will be going over the agreement. jay-z wont get mad at you and stop being your friend.

im going with atleast 5k. probably start at 7.
sure i wanna make a good impression but im not immediately become rich and famous after doing ONE beat for jay-z
(see the Buchanans, Aqua)
i still need that cake.
jay expects to be charged, its a business.

exactly, a lot of people are trying to be a bit too nice/professional
I wouldn't gamble for potential "future placements" and for all we know jay-z may not go platinum in the future, it's not guaranteed
get as much money as you can

Back