So do you think if BIGGIE came out today, he would be anywhere near as big?

I don't see why he wouldn't. JAY-Z and Diddy still doing it.

They're still doing it yes, but there are a lot of variables to take into consideration. How many people are really into lyricism these days? Most of us are part of the select few. Nowadays dance/techno/pop/drake soft-type women ish is big. You notice Jay & Co. doesn't really speak about that stuff. They're still semi-90's. Not women, not guns or streets, but about $$$. Chris Brown is in, Pitbull is in, Techno Usher is in. Anything that can make you move. People don't even listen to the lyrics if a song can make you jump/dance.

How much of the success of Jay & Diddy these days is based on their success of the past 15 years? How much of it is based purely off rep and fan loyalty from 15 years ago? If they just made it big today rapping about what they do, I don't think they would be that big, just because the money talk/braggadocio isn't what sells today.

Nobody cares what streets you run or rep today. People care about how much bass you can pack into your club banger, not how much weed/coke you can pack into your trunk.

So overall I think if BIG was here today, he'd be pretty big but not running the game like he did. Too much has changed. Today's game has more pop appeal. That's why people call it hip-pop nowadays.

Back