So do you think if BIGGIE came out today, he would be anywhere near as big?

World Wide

Do you think if Biggie never existed and then came out today, in 2012, with the exact same music - same beats, same verses, same everything - would he be anywhere near as big as he was/is? Or even accepted at all???

I think he would go totally unnoticed in today's rap game - which is sad. Biggie is still my all time favorite, I personally feel like his music is timeless, and I always wish and hope for another Biggie.

And I don't think there will ever be another Biggie... not because he was THAT unique, but because today's game wouldn't even accept it! If they gave him a chance period, they'd make him wear skinny jeans and throw him on some 808s and Casio synths and it just wouldn't be anywhere near the same.

What do you think? Do you think someone REALLY REALLY TALENTED could come out today with that early-to-mid 90's style and make it??

i think its nearly impossible. The game is just TOO different now and days smh . Biggie was the first rapper to ever inspire me.

What you have to understand about Big is WHY he was popular. He was the People's Champ before Paul Wall. He came along when music was just OVER THE TOP with the gangsterism, people weren't really concerned about lyrics, etc. They were just concerned with how hard the songs were. Record labels were still signing anything that sounded anywhere close to NWA and Death Row.

BIG came along and re-introduced lyricism over the hard beat. Then he had the melodic singles. He was a smooth, confident, ladies man, in a time where dudes weren't catering to ladies, they were just shooting up everything.

We are in the same type of hip hop environment right now. Everybody's doing trap music. Everybody has a dance. Nobody cares about lyricism. All the music sounds the same. Everybody is frustrated with the music climate, but nobody will change it.

The game is ripe for someone like BIG...someone who goes against the grain and is a breath of fresh air.

So yes. If BIG came out today, he'd make just as big of an impact. Of course, he'd have to be doing something fresh. He couldn't come out with the same early 90's sound.

you know i was watching Fade to Black by jay-z.. and i was saying. damn Jay-Z is the best rapper on earth. I never really admitted that he was the best.. but when i sat and thought about it.. for my generation (born in 1990). He really is the best rapper alive.

He is what biggie was supposed to be and could be. The ugly mutha****a that bagged chicks and rapped about both sides of the dope the game. The guy that bagged the sexiest R & B chick in the game at the time and was making BANK with the pickiest beat choice and the craziest workflow and work ethic in the hip hop industry.

Who knows where biggie would have been. But i do know that Jay-Z probably the closest thing we have to compare to Big as far as success and music

Nas had a number one album on the charts recently.

Now with that said, my views on Biggie is different than a lot of people because I thought Biggie was overrated when he was alive back then.....(I liked Biggie a lot but a lot of straight dudes would've sucked his dick). I think Biggie was a great rapper...that was overrated too early. Like 50....50 was a great rapper that got overrated real quick. It was and still is hard for him to top ALL OF THE HYPE FROM his first album. Biggie....it is hard to TOP all of the hype from his GREAT second album. His first album caught us and grabbed us.

So to answer the question would Biggie be as near as big? I don't think he would be as Big as he was with his first two albums. I think he would still be big thanks to his voice in the rap game. Biggie's voice alone represents more than just eastcoast rap. Mobb Deep is still big and never dissapointed...(people may say the G-unit album sucked but to me it was a good album). Lil Kim today is said to be better than Nikki Minaj (even without any music to bag that statement). Common still doing his thing. It's the people who really "wasn't that good" that fell off. People that sounded like the 90's.....the same way people who sound like 2000 fell off, same way people who sound like 2010 - 2014 will fall off. But when you make a voice in this game....you last forever..dead or alive. 2Pac had a voice.

Biggie would've did movies.

Short answer no. I think it's timing. Big came along at the right time, just like jay prob wouldnt have had the same success if PAC and Big were still alive.

if karl marx wrote his books today he would be a homeless man and people would consider him insane

so there is your answer, over the years great artist have become fewer, and we have 5 thousand decent ones, to stick out today gets harder and harder

What you have to understand about Big is WHY he was popular. He was the People's Champ before Paul Wall. He came along when music was just OVER THE TOP with the gangsterism, people weren't really concerned about lyrics, etc. They were just concerned with how hard the songs were. Record labels were still signing anything that sounded anywhere close to NWA and Death Row.

BIG came along and re-introduced lyricism over the hard beat. Then he had the melodic singles. He was a smooth, confident, ladies man, in a time where dudes weren't catering to ladies, they were just shooting up everything.

We are in the same type of hip hop environment right now. Everybody's doing trap music. Everybody has a dance. Nobody cares about lyricism. All the music sounds the same. Everybody is frustrated with the music climate, but nobody will change it.

The game is ripe for someone like BIG...someone who goes against the grain and is a breath of fresh air.

So yes. If BIG came out today, he'd make just as big of an impact. Of course, he'd have to be doing something fresh. He couldn't come out with the same early 90's sound.

joker.gif

Last edited:
If he came about it correctly maybe. I think he would have been closer to something like a lyrical version of Rick Ross only Big would get more girls. I think because Biggie knew how to cater to both men and women that he would have been fine. Just not over the same beats which is sad because Ready To Die is still my favorite hip hop album tied with Jay Z's Blueprint 1

Nope. No chance. Not with the same music no. If he could slip in and work with the new producers I can see him replacing Rick Ross easily

I'm just saying I think its sad that so much GREAT music wouldn't even have a chance in today's industry... I'm talking beats, lyrics, the whole package.

I mean I still to this day put on Ready to Die and rock it from start to finish. It's still great. And this is an album that wouldn't even get any shine if it came out today, let alone get made at all in the first place.

Its just funny to me how you think that good music is good music, but no that's not really true. Trends and fads and hype and "the machine" are really what power what music gets out there and what music doesn't, and really it might only be by pure luck if some of that music also happens to be "good music" nowadays.

Sad...

I mean I still to this day put on Ready to Die and rock it from start to finish. It's still great. And this is an album that wouldn't even get any shine if it came out today, let alone get made at all in the first place.

Its just funny to me how you think that good music is good music, but no that's not really true. Trends and fads and hype and "the machine" are really what power what music gets out there and what music doesn't, and really it might only be by pure luck if some of that music also happens to be "good music" nowadays.

Sad...

I disagree. Ready TO Die didn't stand a chance back when it was released. But thanks to Big Poppa, One More Chance REMIX it got that extra attention it needed.

Now.......nobody can tell me that One More Chance remix is not timeless and that people would reject it today. If it was released today it would still be the jam. There is music that get stuck with the times, then their is timeless music. You can tell the timeless music...it blends in on the radio today. They still play One More Chance on the radio.....still play Hypnotize.

This right here still gives you chills even if you weren't born in that time when it was released.

If he came about it correctly maybe. I think he would have been closer to something like a lyrical version of Rick Ross only Big would get more girls. I think because Biggie knew how to cater to both men and women that he would have been fine. Just not over the same beats which is sad because Ready To Die is still my favorite hip hop album tied with Jay Z's Blueprint 1

you know I never heard Blueprint!!!

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Mark Pitts: During Junior M.A.F.I.A. and making the Lil' Kim album, going into Life After Death, that was a new Big. In the beginning he was trying to figure [the rap game] out. Even making his records on Ready to Die, it's a lot of joints he didn't want to do, like "Juicy."

If biggie came out in 2012 without a executive producer like puff to have him do the songs he didnt want to do then he would be looked at as a dope lyricist who never made it out of the underground. fans would be screaming about biggie bringing NY back and why doesnt jayz sign him to rocnation or he would get signed and people holding rallys like they did for lupe because he kept getting pushed back.

Back