Should I Build a Wall to Make My Studio Smaller?

SmallsTech

Let me first say hello as this is my first post. My name is Steve and I am an avid music fan and have been producing house/hip-hop for 6-7 years on and off and have begun to take it more seriously since I now have more funds to work with. I look forward to hopefully sharing my knowledge and learning new things on this site.

Now to the preface. I have yet to set up the studio since I want to see how much it will cost before I proceed. I have been given the go ahead to put my studio in my mother-in-law's basement. It is quite large, but there are certain areas where I cannot set up and I am pretty much stuck with one area in the back corner, which isn't the worst and is still a good size. I have been researching bass traps and other acoustical treatment which I believe I have a decent handle on.

One side of the area has a shorter wall that opens up to the large open space of the basement and the wall behind me is about 10-15 feet away which is in a small alcove. I am concerned that I am going to treat the area in front of me and to the sides and then have problems with reflections/echos/whatever else could happen from behind me and possibly from the side with the shorter wall. I included my horrible art work below to help explain better.

Your suggestions for possible treatment are appreciated. My thought was to build a couple removable walls made with rockwool, just like the based traps I plan on building and place them behind me. I say removable since I dont want to be modifying her house like that. THANKS!!

Excel Studio.png

Yes - these types of walls are usually called "gobos" and are typically used in recording studios to separate musicians. For the purposes you've described, they'd work great.
BTW your plan looks like a good start but I'd also look to treat the ceiling reflection points.

dimensions, as always, go a long way to giving advice...

but yes portable walls are going to make a difference

also ceiling treatment by hanging absorbers for different freqs

Looks like I will be pricing out these gobos then, thanks for letting me know what they are called.

Would it make sense if there is space in between them or between them and the ceiling? Or is this going to defeat their purpose?

I only took measurements of the small area where the desk is going, but I will do the full room today.

Good point with the ceiling treatment, I will add that into my plans.

Thanks GIK and bandcoach!

any space has to be seen as resonant slat of some sort, although the depth would be almost infinite as the space behind opens up, so what freqs it would affect is hard to calculate without lots more data

Back