Scales & Emotions

It's worth pointing out that the emotional significance of any given note in a scale is modified by the notes that are played alongside it and the notes that were played prior to it.

It's worth pointing out that the emotional significance of any given note in a scale is modified by the notes that are played alongside it and the notes that were played prior to it.

This.

I've read on a classical music forum people arguing about the use of minor scales in classical compositions, and most of ppl assume that the minor scales brings bad feelings, while the major scales are more "happy". But one user there said that there's thousands of classical musics written in major scales that brings those negative feelings.

I therefore support your comment. It really depends on the other notes that follow (or precede) that single note.

Yeah, but how much of the emotional impact is actually cultural? I listen to some music from other countries, and it sounds exactly opposite of what I am told it is supposed to convey.

Yeah, but how much of the emotional impact is actually cultural? I listen to some music from other countries, and it sounds exactly opposite of what I am told it is supposed to convey.

That's why I'm different from you. We have different reactions and emotions. If one song brings a "sadness" feeling to someone, it may not bring the exact same feeling to another person. I think the emotions music can bring is directly related to personal experiences lived through life.

This.

I've read on a classical music forum people arguing about the use of minor scales in classical compositions, and most of ppl assume that the minor scales brings bad feelings, while the major scales are more "happy". But one user there said that there's thousands of classical musics written in major scales that brings those negative feelings.

I therefore support your comment. It really depends on the other notes that follow (or precede) that single note.

Classical music is not written in scales -- it's written in keys. The notes in any major scale are the same as the notes in another minor scale. C Major and A natural minor use the exact same notes, for example. The tonal center makes all the difference, and it can shift during a composition.

-Ki
Salem Beats

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

The mind could be a terribly powerful device and is meant to endure unpleasant experiences and patterns of thinking, but the mind additionally has the ability to 'minimize' our exposure to negative experiences revenant like negative relationships, trauma or worry.

Bit of a necro-post, eh? Last reply before yours was two years ago. Lol.

not only that, but it was more in aid of promoting the spamlink in the sig - which is why the post salem quote no longer exists - spam-o-matic'd out of existence....

Last edited:
Actually, a major scale contains all the same notes as a minor scale that's 3 semi-tones lower than it. So really, the key you're in doesn't affect the mood at all as far as major/minor goes. It's more about the chord progression and melody.

Yeah lol, that's what I meant. I think most people refer to the natural minor when they just say 'minor'. Like if you say "C minor", you are usually referring to the natural minor.

mm, mmm, mmm

as for moods, see this post instead (I'm gonna quote here, to make tis necro-reviver happy......

quoted from this post
snipped half of the post as irrelevant (same melody different orchestrations)

Now to consider the manipulation of this theme into other parallel tonalities
By changing the accidentals (#/b) in the melody we can shift the mood of the melody dramatically:

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/melSonoritiesTonalVars.mp3[/mp3]

melSonoritiesTonalVars.png

Explore each of the tonal/modal areas and compare it to the original theme - note what has changed and what has stayed the same. Lastly, note aurally how the theme has changed character simply by changing one or more notes to fit a new scale/mode.

Scale/ModeTones
MajorE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E
Nat minorE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B-C-D-E
PhrygianE-F-G-A-B-C-D-E
DorianE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E
LydianE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E
MixolydianE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E
Minor PentatonicE-G-A-B-D-E
Major pentatonicE-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-E
BluesE-G-A-A[sup]#[/sup]/B[sup]b[/sup]-B-D-E

Back