Repairing MIDI controller with soldering iron

Hey guys! So I went I start up ableton today and my midi controller just decided not to work. No power, no sign of life. I've tries different cables and USB outputs to no avail. After buying 2 shitty defective m audio controllers in the past 3 months I've decided to relent and fixed my old skool korg k61p which I've been in love with for over 5 years. Same issue, no power, no life. I bought a soldering iron and am attempting my first ever solder expedition. I will watch some YouTube videos to learn how to use the thing but in this case I am wondering what exactly to look for. I imagine opening up the case and being overwhelmed by the myriad of wires and circuitry. Any experience would be much adorned. Thank you thank you thank you

Chase

find the service manual for it before you even consider cracking it open.

trace the power circuits on the schematic - most likely points of failure are regulator ics or the large ripple filtering capacitors in the power circuits.

trace anything else that could be related to the powering of the device.

if it is mains powered - i.e. there is a conversion from 120/240v to 12/24/50 v lines, do not attempt to fix this yourself - take it to an electronics repair shop with the schematic - you do not want to become an electrocution victim to your first fix job if you botch it.

Last edited:
I bought an m audio controller that also does not work. it turns on and everything but for some reason can't be recognized on computer or anything. sucks.

Make sure to use soldering flux! Or flux-cored solder! This will improve your soldering and chance of damaging something by overheating!

Back