Rendering/Exporting problem need advice

I feel like this happens to a lot of people, myself included. The frequency response of various music players/speakers can throw you off.

I usually test my mixes on 2-3 other output devices (car, iphone, home stereo). I'll take notes upon listening to each to see what is off, and make as good an adjustment to the mix as I can without ruining something else in the song. It's a delicate thing, but until you're either a pro-level mixer, or pay for one, you just gotta find some middle ground between your studio sound and an MP3 player's sound.

Keep in mind, music is being heard in MP3 quality all over the place these days, so I'd lean towards what sounds best coming out of your ipod or whatever.

windows is a different thing entirely from asio.they sound different because they are seperate drivers.
with the right settings you can have less noticeable difference at as low as 192 kbps mp3.
24 or 32bit float these have more headroom for loudness than 16bit not nearly as much clipping
bitrate you decide on that or use wav/flac

Thank you for answer. I've tried 192 kbps 32bit I think its better but not totally solved. I need to learn more about mix/master.

Even the most super-duper mega hugely highest quality of mp3's known to man will sound different compared to what it sounds like in your daw. It's a compressed format more easily distributed because of the smaller filesize and because of that it compromises the quality of your track.

If you are referring to the track you just linked, and that is the difference you are hearing, it's because soundcloud transcodes whatever file you put in there to a 128kbps mp3 for streaming purposes. So there will be a major difference in sound.

Last edited:
always export in wav at 24 bit or 32 bit floating point if you can (sampling rate at 48kHz or 96kHz - this gives you a bitrate of 2250kbps upwards)

simply put

export to wav/aiff and then convert mp3

wallengard is right about soundcloud's transcoding: no matter what you upload it is transcoded to 128kbps mp3 so upload your wav/aiff and let them do the work once; multiple conversions to mp3 can create some interesting yet ultimately annoying artefacts in the audio

Can you identify how it sounds different?

If it sounds radically different, I'm guessing you're clipping all over the place which simply doesn't translate when a 32bit float file and it's practically-infinite headroom is truncated into 16bit.

I am concern about final product there should be a way to have better solution right. Especially when I want to sell my album online.

No Fruity Limiter on the master?

If you do find that the Fruity Limiter is on the master channel in FL (which it is by default), removing it will rid you of many headaches.

Last edited:
Does it sound different when you export to .wav files too? Or are you experiencing differences in your track when you listen to them from other playback systems? A bit more info would go a long way here.. don't hold back man.

I export both mp3 and wav they are same to me but for both some instruments especially bass seems quieter than what I hear while working before exporting. Should I work based on what I heard after rendering.

I honestly prefer to use 320kbps. I dislike 128kbps, especially on soundcloud lol. I listen to my my songs on mp3 on my phone and its fine, but on soundcloud it's terrible, and like others said, wav. gives you more headroom and better quality as opposed to mp3. Sometimes if your song is oversaturated with effects, it can affect the overall mixdown when rendering.

Well of course you prefer to use higher quality files.. and I'm sure your 320's are fine on your phone, but when you put them on soundcloud, they turn into 128kbps mp3's, that's why you don't like it.

Back