Reason 6 For Vocals

Drethe5th

contact @ i80media.com
Ive been trying to get deeper into R6 for all my recording (long time PT user). For some reason I cant get my vocals to come out like I want them to. The combinator setup is a bit different for treating vocals as oppossed to other "channel strip" set ups in most other DAWS.

I am only talking about basic stuff, like EQ & Compression, D'Essing and reverb. Nothing fancy just trying to make them "sit" in the track like I was able to do in PT.

Has anyone here experienced this as well, and if so what was you solution. If you have any of your own vocal templates please post or pm them.

(Ive used reason since R3 and am familiar with combinator)

1) Use the SSL channel strip to do most of your in-channel eq and compression.
2) use a send fx bus to apply reverb and similar environmental fx (delay, alligator, etc) as this will mean you can make the send as big or as little as you need without changing every other aspect of the vocal channel.
3) use the combinator if you want to apply insert versions of the above (not always a good idea, but may be the only solution to some problems.

Happy to do a demo vocal mix for you and send you the resulting reason file to enhance your learning.

Yeah using the SSL channel strip is your best bet for EQ & compression mainly. Also I would load any combinator grouping effects to the Inserts panel of the SSL channel strip. Hope this helps as well.

Open reason, go to File --> Open
Than go to the Reason folder, which probably is on top of the locations and favorites --> Demo song and open the Olivia Broadfield demo song "Say" .
Now together with the video and the rns file, analyse and figure out how she worked her vocals.

GL

Oh by the way, you usually put your vocals in an audio track, which if you unfold, you can insert effects to. Just analyze the demo song, that'll probably teach you a lot.

Last edited:
Your right, Ive done this before, following the demo and came to some pretty good results. I still cant match the exact tone of things Ive done in protools and Im not blaming the program, I just cant find that magic sweet spot yet in reason.

Again though, I will take your advice and deconstruct some of the demo songs to learn a bit.

Thanks.

Back