Quite a few guitar questions

learning proper finger positions and whatnot so its getting smoother.

Is there any specific literature about the proper finger positions or is it all in the scales books, like the piano?

I'm wondering how many books I need to learn some different string instruments; harp, violin and what not. :confused:

If you have a tube driven mic pre-amp run the guitar through it first and then into your DAW and modeling software and you've got most of the middle range price amps right there. A lot of amps on the market now use a tube pre (usually 1 12AX7) run straight into a solid state driver and use digital effects. It's an easy way to make VST based modeling more "believable". Or if you have a purely solid state amp and want some tube flavor you can do the same.

I have a REDDI I bought for Bass because the neighbors wouldn't appreciate a 400W Ampeg rig right next door. (Some people have no taste..lol) I use it for guitar sometimes also and have run mics into it, as well as Synths and such from Reason and Sonar. It works ten times better than any tube emulation plug-in I've had my hands on so far. I've had a Marshall AVT20 for about 8 years for practice and recording and I can match any tone from it with the pre and GR3/4.

Just something to think about when shopping amps.

Is there any specific literature about the proper finger positions or is it all in the scales books, like the piano?

I'm wondering how many books I need to learn some different string instruments; harp, violin and what not. :confused:

guitar for dummies is what i learned it from lol. its kind of like pianos i would imagine, in the way you can use the fingering positions to transpose pretty easily.

---------- Post added at 02:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

If you have a tube driven mic pre-amp run the guitar through it first and then into your DAW and modeling software and you've got most of the middle range price amps right there. A lot of amps on the market now use a tube pre (usually 1 12AX7) run straight into a solid state driver and use digital effects. It's an easy way to make VST based modeling more "believable". Or if you have a purely solid state amp and want some tube flavor you can do the same.

I have a REDDI I bought for Bass because the neighbors wouldn't appreciate a 400W Ampeg rig right next door. (Some people have no taste..lol) I use it for guitar sometimes also and have run mics into it, as well as Synths and such from Reason and Sonar. It works ten times better than any tube emulation plug-in I've had my hands on so far. I've had a Marshall AVT20 for about 8 years for practice and recording and I can match any tone from it with the pre and GR3/4.

Just something to think about when shopping amps.

thanks a lot for that advice because i gotta get a preamp sooner or later now that i'm doing more mic related stuff.

do you think this would be good enough http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-TUBEPre-Microphone-Preamp-101966174-i1125339.gc

i think i should probably mention i'm not too picky on quality, i'm just looking for a decent sound but still fast and dirty. she said it.

Back