Quite a few guitar questions

Trenchant

yeah huh...
ok, so i'm probably going to buy my first electric guitar this week. i got a few questions about recording it, and tone and whatnot.

do you guys think its better to record using a di box (or whatever other input you can use) or by mic'ing an amp?

also, which one would you recommend between these two:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...ic-Guitar-102545753-i1146519.gc?mode=1&sort=2

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-101392124-i1149250.gc?sort=2

i understand those probably aren't too great, but i'm ok with that. i like the way the affinity looks, but i've read beter things about the epiphone.

also, what part of the setup dictates tone the most? i think the stuff i'd like to do most is high pitched, clean post punk ish sound like this song (particulary the riff :28)

but i also would like to do messy huge sounding shoegaze type stuff. i'd imagine that style would owe itself more to effect pedals and such...?

so is there a certain kind of amp or guitar that would best for that kind of stuff?

Miking up an amp is the way to go imho .
That Squier seems to have huge problems with the trem causing tuning problems .
Pickups , amp , strings and playstyle dictate sound (outside of pedals etc.) .

^yeah, it sounds like it'd be less hassle overall with an amp, thanks.

i never knew there was so much that goes into the way a guitar sounds. i've been reading about pickups and its crazy, i still don't fully understand what kind i would be looking for

if your going for a more pop/rock sound i would have to recomend a epiphone les paul. Check out the track on my soundclick page.. i recorded that song direct in using the effects from Logic 9's pedal board and a weeping demon wah pedal .. and the slash epiphone les paul ...

Here is the link

Last edited:
hey, that was a nice track, not really what i'm going for, but very clean sounding and whatnot. and most of the les pauls on the GC site look a little out of my price range, but i'm looking at some of the cheaper ones now, thanks.

guitarfetish.com

Check out their Xavier guitars. Great for the money! Better than those two imo. Also a mic'd amp usually sounds better but can be more expensive. Really depends on the situation. What is your budget for that? Also don't slep on digital stuff, sounds great to the common ear and usually most people can not tell the difference. Either way congrats on getting a guitar!

Yep good stuff. Biggest thing about both of these or any guitar you buy in that price range, spend 30 or 40 bucks find a small local guitar shop with a luthier and have him set it up for you with new strings. I usully recommend 11's. He'll know what that means if you don't. I will take a okay guitar to a great guitar just because it will play right.

my cousin's been playing for 25+ years ... that was the first thing he recomended when i got my guitar. i didn't wanna spend any money cause i just spent a thousand on it .. took it down to a place called gravity strings got it "setup" i got 10's put on mine but yea after i got it back it was like night and day the action was lower everything smoother...the crazy thing about them is they didn't want to take it in or work on it cause it was an epiphone ... but after everything was said and done he really liked my guitar.. they deal in a lot of high end custom shop stuff

awesome, thanks for those links so much, i'm glad i didn't go ahead and buy one of the others.

i was looking at this one http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvvicrrofi.html

and they have it with maple instead of rosewood for an extra $10, do you think that would make a major difference?

oh and for amps and mics, i was looking at this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482871-i1470458.gc

and probably just a shure sm57, do you think that amp would be good enough? i'll probably hold off on getting the mic for a little bit though.

oh yeah, for amp budget...i'm not really itching to spend over 200, i understand those things get pretty expensive though.

Last edited:
The Maple and rose wood will not make that big of a difference right now. After a few years under your belt then MAYBE you'll start to hear a difference but til then just go which whatever one you think looks better. Usually Maple neck is brighter than rose wood. Rose wood is dark color = dark tone, maple = brighter color = brighter tone.

IMHO there is more to it than that .
The sound of the amp , it's amplifier , drivers , psu and throughout design , are all part and parcel of sound .
Don't be fooled by some lightweight digital effects built in to an amp , these are better left in the daw and are cheaper/more effective there too .

I believe in trying to create as many "real" sounds as I can in every mix , it counteracts the sterility or "fabrication" of the finished product .

Also , that amp will last for decades and has quite a few "tricks" up it's sleeve .
Go and try some amps out at GC , if you get the chance to play one of these (BlackStar), then post back .

As for pedals same deal , it's an analogue thing .
A certain someone here expresses large amounts of love for his BigMuff and not the equivalent software version .

Yeah they will be okay but if you want a modeling amp just get modeling software. If you want a amo get a amp. The only time I recommend a modeling amp or modeling pedals line the line 6 stuff is if you are gigging a lot and want to downsize your rig or if you don't want to take your nice expensive stuff out for gigs. Otherwise go with Amplitube or something like that. If y ou want a amp get a amp. Even craigslist will show some great deals on amps.

well i ended up ordering this guitar today http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsugrrofi.html i'm itching for it in a bad way, and there's no ointment in sight.

and i decided to just pick up the cheap line 6 at best buy when it comes in, because i'm going to college next year, and i want to make sure i get good at guitar before i spend a lot on extra stuff. plus i don't want to always have my computer on to play it.

thanks so much for the help, everyone. i appreciate it.

Back