Question: house VS trance?....

Trance has no "heart" or "soul". Thats all. Hey if you like it then great! But I've been in the scene for many years and seen many genres come and go. The only constant has been House.

Its all about house music.

./

Hey! How'd u put that sneaky lil ol tick in there! That's so cool.
I suggested to a psy trance fiend friend of mine in Melbourne that the reason people take drugs at doofs was because it was to help them get through the boring bits of the trance songs until the good bits came up (and when they're good they're very very good). He suggested i was just way too focused on melody.
I do think a lot of trance sounds 'tired' these days, but the harder edged trance, 'specially if it's 'break-trance'(not sure if that term exists) is a bit of a turn on.
The biggest vibe i have had for a while was seeing Ed Rush and Optical live in Sydney. I am unsure what to call their music. Fastcore grungehouse jumpin' mad swang funk?
I like the influence of drum and bass, the kick rhythms and flicky things they do with snare rolls and hat patterns.
House. Deep house bass that hits ya just right, get thee to the speaker! But it must be done with high energy and a mixture of tech-house and Titanium Techno (my own term).
A bit of Handbag Trance never went astray.

People ARE too focussed on melody when it comes to trance. It's about drive and atmosphere at the same time.
You should check out the new Global Underground CD's. This is music, the best in the world. UK Clubtrance.

thanks for the tip-on. shall check with glee. Yes, i was very focused on melody, but with therapy and help from my friends i have moved on now.
Bring on the clubytrance, bring it on i say

hey Dj Chriss...Global Underground rocks! heard a digweed track. it represents those good clubtrance qualities you were describing. Doesn't sound tired at all. Gets me up!
PS Thanks:);>

I'm a house head and I don't diss trance. Neither do any of our crew down here, so in our area that sounds kinda weird to me.

Zeb, check out Global Underground's releases, after hearing u shall not only not diss trance, u might even play it. Hot tracks. I'm recently hooked:>

Overposting i know, but...

Zeb, could u recommend any freestyle hardhouse to checkout? i know u like this style, so if you're readin...

Cor, yeah, Digweed GUs are all must haves. Has anyone heard the LA one? I haven't seen it for sale, mind you I live in a country (Korea) where techno means 'Hooked On Classics'. Nick Warren's latest GU offering (Amsterdam?) is excellent too, he seems to have got over the 'cheesy moments' (British pub snacks, anyone?) he was fond of

i-clan - *sniff* - the mere mention of the word 'doof' gets me all teary-eyed and nostalgic. Oz is a wicked place. Get a dog up ya.

House is more intelligent!

Right an Irish mans view.....Go on, say it!

House music and trance are like chalk and cheese.
The reason being is that house music is based on REAL music. It is a progression from your standard 70's funk music and has kept that 'real' sound. Where as Trance is based on synths and 'fake' sounds. Don't get me wrong I love synths and the make up of music but I'm just making the point.

I also think that House music is always a bit more 'inteliigent' in that it is very clever music and put together with the utmost care and effort. I could string together a trance song in 30 minutes. When I go at a house tune it can take up to a month to sort and perfect.

At the end of the day, there is a lot of trance songs that make me go weak at the knees but, on a whole, Trance is a little boring (to me). Whereas house music just makes you groove non stop.

but lads, it don't matter cause music is the answer!

Striker:
Go listen to Global Underground 18 with Nick Warren and eat your words. :D
Also check out Pascal FEOS "Overflow".

Hey heavy Cola, how come u live in Korea? I saw a post a while back titled clubbing in Korea? but i didn't read as i thought it might have been an ad for some "Hooked On Classics" dodgy compilation ep or something, hehe.
I nearly stayed in Thailand once..even started just talking Thai, or if i did speak english it would be in that Thai way, with a sort of Thai accent. It was weeird.
Oh well, i guess when u come back to Australia... u can get a rat up ya! Haa! You're probably being paid squillions by some multi-national to do PR work or something i imagine. Make that a golden rat...hehe. At least you have onlinedj.com...
GU has the goods!

Att : DJ Chris

Chsitopher my son I have listened to, and am an avid admirer of Nick Warrens GU18 (The fact that I know the ****er well will have nothing to do with it. But thats not being biased) Its quality... but the point I'm making is being over looked. In terms of 'REAL' music as they'd call it, House is more like that. Raw, funky and with more groove. Whereas I find Trance to be a little repetitive and doesn't have that live sound. I know what you are saying concerning that particular GU effort, as in it is very complex but I still say it could be put together very easily. I have done alot of tracks that would par with most of them.

At the end of the day, its all about taste and what a track / genre does for you. And I PERSONALLY think House music is more fulfilling. You, on the other hand, like millions more, think Trance is far better....a matter of Taste and emotion.

Anyway once it keeps the community together, it don't matter what it is!

Keep smiling.

ps. Sorry but not a big fan of Overflow :(

Striker, dude, i just replied to a question of yours in 'composing', explaining the basics of midi, as you humbly asked to have midi explained. So what the hell is the deal man? I mean, to make a big call that 'a lot' of the tracks u have done could be on a par with some of the finest GU releases without knowing midi... I don't understand how you could have done that. Unless by just playing all the parts and audio sequencing it - which is more than possible i guess.
Hmmm...were you just trying to get a rise, or just wondering if anyone here actually knew how to explain the basics of midi?

Att : ICLAN

Like it - like it!

The reason I wanted this advise on midi is because I'm sick and tired of Having to record the way I do. It is very very tedious but I am very patient. I am a drummer since the age of 6 so I'm well used to recording track by track and it is not out of the norm to sit back and spend all this time. Thats the only time I use midi to synch it all!.

I am VERY VERY Grateful for your reply to the midi question and am going to work on it as soon as I get home. A bit flu ridden at the moment as well so not really up to the abuse (please lay off - lol)

Thanks alot.
Only a member here a few weeks but VERY VERY VERY VERY impressed!

Tony

Oh $h1t you DO play it all track by track! Cool, dig that vibe!
Yeah, midi is cool. It may mess with your head tho'. If you need more detailed info, describe your setup sitch in your initial composing thread and an answer will be provided:)
BTW , got any house releases to recomend?

The only trance type music I've ever liked was when I heard Tenaglia on his Global Underground comps.

Trance, to me, is just boring. Same cheap a s s casio synth sounds, same drum rolls, same bleeps, same old same old.

I've got some sympathy for Digweed, he's been doing his thing for years, but when geeks like Judge Jules comes up and makes £15000 a gig playing his cheesy trash without even being able to beatmatch I just roar.

I don't even wanna go to Ibiza and have a good time, cuz I know i'll be hearing that boring, sunny, sh*t trance for hours on end.

Thank god for good ol' house, jungle, breakbeats and minimal techno.

I'd say DnB over trance but if I had a choice I'd say some detroit techno or something kind of tec-housy,dub-tec,electro-experimental heh with some minimal techno too

haha, best I could put it

Back