Question 4 Piano Players + for others there are good theory/piano video series inside

Yumid

Was just wondering about some feedback from people who have actually went through the learning process of learning piano.

So if you've ever searched for music theory on youtube you have heard of or at least seen the guy named Lypur(link at end of post). Shows up at the top on every related search, and its one of the only (that I can find) structured Music theory/piano (he has 2 different series, 1 for each) video series that actually teach you rudiments and everything in a structured manner, rather then just having a video about chords, or scales, etc etc.. Thats what most people tend to dislike about learning theory on youtube, it isn't structured. Well these video series are, so just know that its basically a video version of a music theory book.

But anyway before I trail off topic too much here my question was, if you had to RE DO the entire process of learning piano would you learn in depth Music theory first? Or piano first? Or do them together? The reason I ask is because Lypur has 2 different video series, one is STRICTLY in depth music theory, starting from scratch (ledger lines, clefs, etc..) and the other is a "learn to play piano" series which focuses more on how to play piano, but obviously some some theory in it that accompanies learning the piano.

So Im not sure which video series I should do first, I'm already about 13 ish videos into the strictly music theory one that I started awhile ago but put on hold when I started school. Im done the rhythm section and I stopped on the Circle of fifths, so I figured before moving onto the next section I might as well get some feedback and see if I am going about it the best way.

Wow now I'm really over explaining this, quick and simple- pick one based on what you think is most beneficial LONG term, im in no rush.

a.)Watch in depth theory series first
b.)learn piano first(some theory included related to piano) and more in depth unrelated to piano theory later
c.) do them both at the same time(this seems like the obvious answer, but I really don't have time to take on both series right now with school and everything too. Im learning too much too quick, just gonna forget a lot haha)

Here is a link to his channel, both videos series are right there on the front page.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur

Exactly what Bandcoach said.
I took the semesters of classical piano at school and it helped alot with hearing and understanding basic theory concepts. This is another reason why I do not advocate using videos for learning music theory-you really need to be playing what you're learning to hear and understand it.

I've taken piano keyboarding classes in highschool. They don't teach much though. I'm going to have to look into "music theory." Just my opinion though, I would soak up both subjects. Knowledge is food for the brain. I would cram both in.

Exactly what Bandcoach said.
I took the semesters of classical piano at school and it helped alot with hearing and understanding basic theory concepts. This is another reason why I do not advocate using videos for learning music theory-you really need to be playing what you're learning to hear and understand it.

Well of course I'm going to be playing along with the videos..

do them together - they feed each other if integrated correctly

This is what I was thinking too, but Im not really sure HOW MUCH theory is actually included in the how to play piano series as I haven't started it yet. He MIGHT have enough theory (for now) within those videos. Since I am already ahead on the theory series anyway ill just start the piano to catch up to the theory, then gauge how much I need the actual theory videos right now based on how much the piano one teaches

Back