Producing Set Up

robbo442

I have been using Fruity Loops on Windows but I am looking to make a change for the better.
Wanted to see peoples advice on Reason for windows compared with reason or logic on a mac? Whats the easiest to use and what would create the best sounds etc? Any tips and advice would be appreciated. Cheers guys ;)

What do you mean change for the better? Whats your problem right now? Why do you assume you need another DAW?

Yeah, change for the better suggests some subjective reason. It's mostly not the DAW but the user handling the DAW that is the limit. Assuming you pick a reasonable DAW. Logic, FL, Pro tools, Ableton, etc. are all reasonable DAWs.
Usually sticking to what you know now and getting more knowledge on music theory, music engineering, music production in general and knowledge about how to work your DAW, will save you time. Save you time off getting to know yet another DAW, that can basically do the same.
If , you're not happy with your current DAW, or are just curious on if another DAW would work better for you, best is to test it yourself. Download a demo version and watch some youtubes on how to do stuff in that DAW. I myself am a Reason user, am very content with it and wouldn't want to go through the pain of getting to know another DAW and be able to the same or less in a way I wouldn't like. I experimented with a few DAWs and felt most content with Reason.

a contrary view might be that he has done his research and come to a mature decision that this is the next step in his evolution - some folks forget that we need to evolve by changing our work-flow - doing the same thing the same way with the same software can be worse than stagnation

so I would only add the following to the discussion

using reason on windows will certainly open some doors but close others behind you

I would not make the trip across to a mac unless it became central to my work-life as well (unlikely at this time)

I can see the benefits associated with integrating FL Studio and Reason. The two different workflows should keep things interesting without breaking the bank. You may also want to consider getting an analog instrument or two; especially if you're looking for more ways to be creative. Reason 7's fun as long as you have a midi controller, at minimum. Use an actual keyboard as your midi controller and things get more interesting, friends start wondering if your telling the truth about the tracks you claim and starving artists start asking for freebies.

No need for a mac unless you'd like the addition knowledge of working with apple products, useful if you're hired to work on someone elses system. If this is your case then get a mac, otherwise don't over think it. Just keep building your DAW.

I find ABleton Live pretty easy. It comes with some Audio interfaces.

I don't like Macs. I feel its awaste of money and many VSTs aren't supported on newer versions of MAcs. To me, MAcs do less and cost more.

you can create dope beats on fruity loops.. your not exactly 'upgrading' if your switching daws.. it's YOU... not fruity loops... if you want better sounds, you should try and get some vst's if you haven't already

what else do you have besides FL Studio??
1.MIDI keyboard
2.great soundpacks/drumkits
3.great VST???
Sylenth1 or Massive or a Sampler like Kontakt

?????????????????????????
these are big for any DAW you use or going to get

changing a daw isnt gonna make you automatically better (i use fl/reason for beatmakin)

This isn't necessarily true, a DAW workflow can make or break the creative process for music makers. I was just having this conversation with a coworker today. He prefers to use Studio One for the majority of his work. For him, the workflow just makes more sense so whats the point of using another DAW. He said, "I don't wanna learn someone elses weirdness, I already have a girlfriend." I see his POV, why learn another DAW once you've mastered the one you use most?

I like to use Ableton 9 because the workflow works well for how I like to create music, especially since I have the Push. I also enjoy using Reason 7 because I've been using it since version 2. Pro Tools 11 can also be found in my DAW along with Cubase and all of the Steinberg's plugins; and, I have Studio One as well. Please don't think I went out and bought all this, my pockets aren't that deep. These companies need me to learn their products well enough to sell and train people, which can only happen if I use these products on gigs and in sessions.

There are benefits to owning multiple DAW software. For example, ReTouch offers a solution called Pusher that allows me to use my Push to control Ableton Live 9 and Reason 7 in a way that few people even know about; allowing me to use one awesome controller for two powerful programs at the same d*mn time!

#TURNDOWNFORWHAT

There's some good advice here. I appreciate the feedback!!
I must admit I do like the fruity loop set up and that is what I'm used too.
I'm using V7 and without many sample packs as they got wiped.
If I got V11 and added some sample packs and plugins and an addition of a midi keyboard, I would be on the right track here right?
I'm into DnB, house and hip hop so what's the best sample packs and plugins you can suggest?

There's some good advice here. I appreciate the feedback!!
I must admit I do like the fruity loop set up and that is what I'm used too.
I'm using V7 and without many sample packs as they got wiped.
If I got V11 and added some sample packs and plugins and an addition of a midi keyboard, I would be on the right track here right?
I'm into DnB, house and hip hop so what's the best sample packs and plugins you can suggest?

Of course. If you own V7 you can get lifetime updates for $39. Start with FL11's plugins. Learn what comes with FL instead of looking for other plugins. I've spent money on stuff I have sitting on my hard drive not being used, I have to break out of that habit. You have Bassdrum and Drumpad for creating drum sounds, you have a bunch of synths to create the sounds you're looking for. Sample Packs are great for adding to your creativity, but to be honest I rarely bother with them unless I'm feeling stuck.

Of course. If you own V7 you can get lifetime updates for $39. Start with FL11's plugins. Learn what comes with FL instead of looking for other plugins. I've spent money on stuff I have sitting on my hard drive not being used, I have to break out of that habit. You have Bassdrum and Drumpad for creating drum sounds, you have a bunch of synths to create the sounds you're looking for. Sample Packs are great for adding to your creativity, but to be honest I rarely bother with them unless I'm feeling stuck.

I have a copied version from years ago, so Ill have to buy one. Just wondering if you would get all the plugins/effects etc through the update or whether in the long run it would pay to just buy the fl 11 signature bundle!

I have a copied version from years ago, so Ill have to buy one. Just wondering if you would get all the plugins/effects etc through the update or whether in the long run it would pay to just buy the fl 11 signature bundle!

In that case just get the Signature Bundle, you'll get a powerful synth in Sytrus and a great sampler in Directwave. You'll also have Maximus for Mastering. I say get the Signature bundle, that's what I'm working with. Since you're on version 7 you probably don't know about Image-Line Remote, and transferring FL Mobile projects to FL Studio, you should check those things out if you're still not sure. If you're buying directly from Image-Line I can get you a discount, just hit me up.

Is there something that FL Studio can't do well? I always thought that all softwares could do the same things.

They can do the same things, it's all about workflow, how you access the tools within a DAW, and how those tools work. FL's workflow for recording, editing, and arranging recorded audio sucks.

Back