Producers Getting Paid From Mixtape Placements

producers should get paid for their productions on mixtapes no question in my opinion.

whether you're an artist or producer you have to invest in yourself in more ways than one and part of being an artist is paying for beats unless you've got an in house producer.

mixtapes lead to shows, being signed, and albums, all of which lead to money. the producer should be credited and compensated for their work in helping the artist reach those.

yeah, i think they should buy a lease or something. cause most of them are not gonna sell more than 2000 copies at all.

yeah, i think they should buy a lease or something. cause most of them are not gonna sell more than 2000 copies at all.

great point as well. most artists won't even need to buy exclusive rights until much further into their career. if artists can't invest in themselves enough to spend $25-$100 on a lease for each/some beats, then another career choice would probably best suit them.

Why work so hard for such little money? Because fame more important than money. People can get a job for money, but it is harder to be famous. I think producers should just try to get famous and worry about money later.

Too many people worry about making a bunch of money. But gaining fame will allow you get things for free. When you are famous enough, people will buy you food, pay your rent, lease you a car, give you clothes and jewelry, etc. The best part is that people will have all of these things in their own name. You will not have to pay any taxes on any of this stuff.

Many people who we think are rich actually have modest incomes. They get to live the dream because other people are financing it. These people live better because many people work hard behind the scenes to make them look good.

Strive for fame. People will give you money.

if your tracks are worth money, your getting paid. bottom line.

Some people let the world push them around, instead of pushing the world around. dig that...

I'm curious how that strategy has worked for you in this climate where as far as I know all big name rappers are getting beats (HOT beats) for free?? Do you have any credits to your name to be talking like that? I agree with Bigg Rome that yeah we SHOULD be paid but thats not how it works far as I know. Me personally I've worked with some decent names on tracks that haven't even been released but the fact that I can name drop them has amounted to as much local sale $$ as I would have asked for from "big name rapper". You can bet if I have a released track from someone like Lil Wayne that I'm gonna use that to my advantage to get if not more big credits/placements AT LEAST local sales and soundclick sales etc. Best case these will lead to paid singles, album placements, pub deals etc. I see people like Cardiak, Zaytoven, Lex Luger, Jahlil Beats, Boi 1da and many more that came up off of mixtapes and free beats (from what I've heard) and until someone proves me wrong I'm gonna stick to whats been proven to work.

Does anyone actually have a situation where they were offered a mixtape placement with no pay and negotiated to be paid then landed that placement??

If it's promo only for the artist, it should be promo only for the producer. The artist is dropping original material also.

I don't understand somebody paying for something they have to release for free... Wayne has a point.

Make Wayne's album... then you'll get paid.

but... Wayne is going to do shows with his buzz... producers can't. Other people can loop that producers beat, nobody is going to spit Waynes rhymes again.

I guess if Wayne wanted the producer to take the beat off of the market, I guess the producer should be asked to get paid. If not, the producer could keep the beat up for sale I guess... a beat made popular by Wayne... but I doubt if anybody will buy it after somebody has already used it.

Producer's lose...

There are enough songs out that nobody has to pay if they just wanted to rap over something though.

Remember, rappers care more about raps than they do beats... as long as they get to flex how nice they are... the beat is secondary in their mind. That's why Wayne said what he said.

If you feel the urge to flame or call names, click the sig link first before you post.​

but all the while wane is going to performing and getting paid off of that beat you not getting money for.

The only downside I see to the whole doing a mixtape for free is the artist doing PAID shows off work you did for free, at that point you need to go ahead and get a check for your work as well. In most cases though that wont happen unless you land on a major artists mixtape in which case you can turn that credit into a lot more indy money.

I believe you should be paid no matter what it's being used for. You could give x artist said beat for his "Free Mixtape" but he could monitize his youtube, make money off shows, etc. all off the track you gave him for free. So he in turn is profiting from the track indirectly and you aren't getting compensated for it. "A man who won't invest in himSelf, is not worthy of another's investment."

I believe you should be paid no matter what it's being used for. You could give x artist said beat for his "Free Mixtape" but he could monitize his youtube, make money off shows, etc. all off the track you gave him for free. So he in turn is profiting from the track indirectly and you aren't getting compensated for it. "A man who won't invest in himSelf, is not worthy of another's investment."

I completely agree. A shoutout and credit don't put food on the table.

I think producers do get paid for mixtape placements because satellite radio stations play mixtapes. And most of these artists are dropping mixtapes and going on tour with them which is also considered performance royalties if im not mistaken

I know guys who make placements on platinum albums and never get a check.

It's up to you to be compensated for your work, period. If you have a product that's wanted, you have elbow room to negotiate, if you got something that can be replaced if you don't "play nicely" or don't have the hustle to get what you're owed, you'll get f**ked every single time. Harsh reality.

There's plenty of people who deserve to be making a living at music that don't because they have no backbone and aren't willing to pay a manger 15-20% to have it for them. You gotta do one or the other.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was old, already gave my 2 cents on this subject.

Last edited:
Back