Producers Getting Paid From Mixtape Placements

Who are all of these damn guests? lol

Login, don't be ashamed... you were just logged in posting in another thread. I saw you.

I don't see any pro websites or banner ads on the big websites from the people wanting to get paid. I see FREE SOUNDCLICK and MYSPACE links... and people that scream bloody murder if you mention PMP charging to host their music on a professional looking website... sad. Want everything for Free... but swear THEY should be paid... smh.

See how much success your thinking has brought you... great isn't it?

Ouch! Some people are more focused on how to 'get over' than build true success but that's for another thread. I wonder if a producer feels they SHOULD get paid (which in theory I agree with) do they also believe that a producer should pay the copyright owner of the sample that they are using if the song is for promotional use only? hehe....

Last edited:
if your tracks are worth money, your getting paid. bottom line.

Some people let the world push them around, instead of pushing the world around. dig that...

I doubt that in business anybody is pushing anybody around, there are laws against that type of stuff...

It's funny and great how people can get on the internet and say whatever it is they sound like hearing and other people will act like it's true, lol. When they know the truth the whole time.

Here's the TRUTH! You have way TOO MANY BEATS that you haven't sold that are sitting around but doing nothing except being played to stroke your ego when you get that e-pat on the back from people that tell you they like 'em. They aren't earning you ANY MONEY, THEY ARE NOT PROMOTING YOUR NAME, THEY AREN'T BEING HEARD BY ANYBODY except people you beg to listen on message boards and the 4 people that care to click you sig on web forums. In other words, Nobody knows about you. You songs are not on anybody's ipod, they are being burned to CD's that people make, they aren't being downloaded by anybody that could play them around their friends and branch them out further.

People act like doing a mixtape song has no negotiation. If the person wants to use your song... why wouldn't anybody know who did the song? Did you ask for any info to be included or shouted out or anything. Did you bargain anything? What if I just want onlinemusicproduction.com somewhere in the song? am I allowed to say I want it in the song since their budget is low, lol. What if I just want it in there anyway... am I the one doing the asking or do I have the ball in my court?

If you look at the first post... the top rapper in the WORLD doesn't want to pay you for mixtape beats... what message is that sending? You've got the top rapper not wanting to pay for mixtape beats AND beats available for $20... but you're on FP talking about you're going to get paid (somehow)... you might get paid here and there but you'll be in your 30's before you hit $5,000.00.

A rapper can do what Wayne suggested and use songs that have already been paid for, cleared or whatever and put his own spin on it. What can a producer do? A remix CD? Here's where that say whatever you want to say thing comes in... new beats under old raps don't do much but show off the skill of the beatmaker, it doesn't make anybody want to play that song over and over again. New raps over any beat will make people want to listen to it if the rapper kills it or tweaks the hook to something catchy. Nobody speaks "beat" or "drum" they do speak English and it's more intriguing for them to hear new verses - that's why those posse remix cuts use the same beats... eventhough the beat drives the interest, the lyrics keep the people listening.

I'm not saying to give all of your beats away for free, I never did... I said promote yourself.... it's the reason artists do mixtapes anyway...

Artists seem smarter than beatmakers, lol. Never heard an underground emcee NOT RHYME because he wasn't getting paid for it. Of course it could lead to other things.... for both people.

You're not Timbo... don't try to act like it.

The other day I was in a thread where the producers were saying the rappers should clear all of the samples too.

LOL !

... talk about being cheap and greedy.

Biggrome I aint takin shots at you.

Good beats will make money, ****ty joints dont.

If your beat is paid for then the push behind it will be greater it's simple econmics. Push the world.

i feel you deranged but at the same time thats why lil wayne uses beats that are already out because he said "producers be wanting their money"
and rightfully so because its just like a commercial the company doesnt make anything off of the actual commercial, but everyone involved in it gets paid. Actors arent like well ill do this for free so i can get my face out there.

but do you charge less for a track thats going on a mixtape, or do you charge the same?

I charge accordingly to ones character and the potential of the song. If I made a catchy beat using no samples that I knew could sell ringtones, get placements in TV, Games, ect. and Wayne called me up to say he wanted it for a mixtape, I'd tell him $10k and points off anything profitable(he may scoff at me and bat that down, most likely would but he'll either hang up with no beat or we'll meet somewhere between $0 and $10k based on what's discussed). If Currency called me for the same track for an indie retail album, I might just want my name shouted out and to retain all rights to the beat and a split of the pub, nothing more.

A millionaire can pay a personal chef $8k a day to cook for them, a barber $2k for a haircut, how the hell they can't pay me for a track that millions will hear through the outlet of their choosing? They can't respect that, they don't understand I'm just as much about my bread as they are. If anything they should respect it. :cheers:

And I'm a hustler, so for the record, if you have money, I'm not leaving without a cut for my services, I've been paid well for participation in mixtapes, indie releases, tracking down artists for people, even for recordings that were never released to this day.

Now I'm talking "old industry" when artists had budgets to buy the track before they even knew it made the album(or if the album would hit shelves), but that's why I don't participate much in this "new industry" placement chase. I have friends that i hang out with when no money is involved, if we do business, you got 1 good time to have me do anything not involving money and I ain't got time for you after that. My kids can't eat "placements" and my wife ain't impressed by the celebs that call my phone. "Placements" ain't keeping no peace in my house when MC Git Bizy and Lil Yung Nobody comes thru every friday to buy a beat and some studio time for a quarter to half of their week's salary.

Last edited:
mixtape or not any major cat rapping singin whatever on my track is a plus

Last edited:
The other day I was in a thread where the producers were saying the rappers should clear all of the samples too.

LOL !

... talk about being cheap and greedy.

not to hijack the thread

you see the labels WANT your sampled material (ie flo rida - right round)
but they also know they can not clear a sample without having the full song done (ie before you gave the track to flo rida)
and most producers do not have the $ to pay for sample fees upfront
so they let the artist you sampled eat your publishing on the backend while they pay the upfront fee

Also realize that most "producers" don't even have current songs with people performing over their music...

They just have a stockpile of "potential" hits

When you have worked with people, you build a resume sort of... if the artist goes on to be successful, you still have worked with him. Up and coming people get taxed for that. When they start to make moves, you might have to hit them off with a promo joint to keep the cycle going.

but in no way is what I think... what you should think. Do yo thang.

Also realize that most "producers" don't even have current songs with people performing over their music...

They just have a stockpile of "potential" hits

Mutha****in BANG!
You just hit the nail on the had right there.

Songs > beats

Mutha****in BANG!
You just hit the nail on the had right there.

Songs > beats

And who said that a song has to have vocals in order to be a complete song? Think classical music. Think jazz music. Think of score music. Think techno/house music. Think about the instrumental being available for the consumer along with the single. Think instrumental hip hop mixtapes. Everytime you as a producer create a track that you absolutely love but can't think of any artist that can do anything with it chances are its not meant to have any vocals, its meant to stand on its own. For those that don't think you can make 'hit' instrumental SONGS step your history music IQ up as a I refer to a couple of my favorites:

Herb Alpert - Rise
George Benson - Breezin
MFSB - Love is the Message
Flash and the Furious 5 - The Adventures of Grand Master Flash on the Wheels of Steel
Soho - Hot Music
Grover Washington Jr - Knucklehead
Davy DMX - One for the Treble

Just a few off the top of my head. You can google them and check them out if you're not familiar. NOW is the time to step out the 'box' and get creative with the approach. The difference between a song and a 'track' is just a matter of purpose and marketing. The internet allows you the content creator to break all the rules if you choose so take it to the next level!

Last edited:
And who said that a song has to have vocals in order to be a complete song? Think classical music. Think jazz music. Think of score music. Think techno/house music. Think about the instrumental being available for the consumer along with the single. Think instrumental hip hop mixtapes. Everytime you as a producer create a track that you absolutely love but can't think of any artist that can do anything with it chances are its not meant to have any vocals, its meant to stand on its own. For those that don't think you can make 'hit' instrumental SONGS step your history music IQ up as a I refer to a couple of my favorites:

Herb Alpert - Rise
George Benson - Breezin
MFSB - Love is the Message
Flash and the Furious 5 - The Adventures of Grand Master Flash on the Wheels of Steel
Soho - Hot Music
Grover Washington Jr - Knucklehead
Davy DMX - One for the Treble

Just a few off the top of my head. You can google them and check them out if you're not familiar. NOW is the time to step out the 'box' and get creative with the approach. The difference between a song and a 'track' is just a matter of purpose and marketing. The internet allows you the content creator to break all the rules if you choose so take it to the next level!

I definitely agree with this, but isn't it much better to have a catalog of completed rap/R&B songs, than a catalog of beats, waiting for the "right" artists to magically come along and pick that beat for his album?

I do Electro house and Electro pop too, so an instrumental track is basically the final song.
I love it since no lyrics are required, and the scene is massive here in Australia.

I'd squeeze every last penny out of a rap/R&B track by offering it in multiple ways, but I'll keep that info to myself.

The problem is the majority of new, and even experienced beatmakers/producers don't see further than selling the track to an artist.
If they can put the track on a couple of mixtapes and do whatever they want with it, why can't I?

I definitely agree with this, but isn't it much better to have a catalog of completed rap/R&B songs, than a catalog of beats, waiting for the "right" artists to magically come along and pick that beat for his album?

Its not an either/or thing, the same guy I used as one of my examples George Benson biggest hit (besides Breezin) was 'Give Me The Night' in which he sang lead vocals in. So you can diversify your approach creatively which is one of the keys to longevity in the game. Develop new acts, shop your tracks to established artists, release instrumental songs to the public, be a musician session player, engineer/mix down songs for others, etc... do as much as your talent and drive allows. Open the field up and base everything around your BRAND. Brand management (utilizing the Internet) is the number 1# skill most musicans/artists/producers lack and that needs to be addressed ASAP. The labels are diversifying, why shouldnt YOU??

Its not an either/or thing, the same guy I used as one of my examples George Benson biggest hit (besides Breezin) was 'Give Me The Night' in which he sang lead vocals in. So you can diversify your approach creatively which is one of the keys to longevity in the game. Develop new acts, shop your tracks to established artists, release instrumental songs to the public, be a musician session player, engineer/mix down songs for others, etc... do as much as your talent and drive allows. Open the field up and base everything around your BRAND. Brand management (utilizing the Internet) is the number 1# skill most musicans/artists/producers lack and that needs to be addressed ASAP. The labels are diversifying, why shouldnt YOU??

I thought this Marketing Principles unit would be stupid, but I have learnt a lot about marketing, and particularly branding.
Never knew it played such a big role until now.

I keep up with the latest industry news so I know what and how things are happening so I know how it affects me.

Also, everyone here, LD just told you what to do.
It cannot be more simpler.

Last edited:
I just got an idea from LD's post... and I think it's a good one!

Haven't seen / heard anybody do it yet... (light bulb moment)

... but I won't feed the lurkers (since they never contribute), I'll do it on my own.

Gotta make up a new production name (that won't be posted here, ha ha), start another website / blog for this idea (just copy the code from the one I already have).

Get ready for my Chedda gets Chedda photo...

Last edited by a moderator:
the people who printed up the flyers got paid, the people who printed up the cd's got paid, if i'm producing a song for you, i'm gettin paid! simple as that. i don't give a sht what you are doing with the song once my work is done, but you are paying me for my time and effort. phuck you, pay me!
LevLove

the people who printed up the flyers got paid, the people who printed up the cd's got paid, if i'm producing a song for you, i'm gettin paid! simple as that. i don't give a sht what you are doing with the song once my work is done, but you are paying me for my time and effort. phuck you, pay me!
LevLove

Most are just downloadable joints... No CD's to print.... and a tower to burn mass quanitities of your own joint - is pretty affordable now. For street corner sales, a regular old burner will do...

The artist only has to pay ONE graphic designer which they probably won't because those designers are probably trying to "promote" depending on the artist and "situation".

If there are 15 songs, that's 15 people to pay.... just looking at that number.... the artist will opt for free or $20 joints

Good theories and posts though... everybody SHOULD get paid but I wouldn't have to every single time if the person is known and putting in work... I'll have the same song and could probably hustle it more than he could.

Would you pay somebody to rap on your beats? I think I know the answer, ha ha.

Think about a few things and see if you might to change some of your thinking to get ahead a little.

Not directed at you Lev, I just saw your post. Everybody get paid today.

:cheers:

A LOT OF PRODUCERS ... are nerds that never leave the house though, so I can see why they don't have much hustle and want everything catered to their needs. THIS IS NOT A DIS! There's a confession thread about this, that's where I gathered this tidbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back