PLEASE HELP!!! Question about Cubase or other DOWS!

laxman91

Before you read this, I'm telling you that I'm very new music production (I'm a noob).

I have Massive by native instruments. Now I just need to be able to record it. I'm thinking of getting Cubase Essential 4 (I found it cheap) so I can record it. However I have a question: Will I be able to record Massive through Cubase without using a midi controller? I would like to use the keyboard on my computer for this moment in time. I'm not up for buying an expensive controller for now. Thanks.

Ehh I'm pretty sure cubase doesnt support using your actual keyboard as a midi controller (Not 100% sure tho). What am 100% sure is that you can with FL Studio, And if your new to producing, cubase is gonna look pretty intimidating to you. So maybe check out FL Studio and see if that suits your better. You can download a free demo on their website.

Check out my beats:
SoundClick artist: Trak Addicts - Welcome to TheTrakAddicts.com! Purchase Your Beats Today!

i know cubase 5 supports this. pretty sure cubase sx3 doesn't.

sorry, never used cubase essential 4.

Check the Cubase site. Cubase 5 does have this feature but I don't know when it was introduced, or whether essentials supports this.

Page 514 in the Operation manual

Entering notes using the computer keyboard
A quick and easy way to enter notes, without having to decide on the pitch, position and note value first is using the computer keyboard. To enter a note, proceed as follows:
  1. On the toolbar, activate the “Keyboard Input” button. Now you can enter notes using the computer keyboard.
    The keyboard input button looks like a note head it is to the left of the Step Input and MIDI Input buttons
  2. Hold down [Alt]/[Option].
    A note with the note value specified in the extended toolbar appears. By default, the insert position is the first position of the bar and the pitch is C3. You can however change this using the computer keyboard.
    • You can change the pitch of the note by using the up and down arrow keys. To transpose the note in octave steps, use the Page Up/Page Down keys.
    • To change the insert position of the note, use the right and left arrow keys. Note that for position changes, the Quantize value is taken into account.
    • To change the length of the note, hold down [Shift] and use the right and left arrow keys. This changes the note value step by step, passing from one Quantize value to the next.
  3. To insert the note, press [Return]. The note with the specified pitch and note value is inserted at the selected position and the insert position for the next note changes according to the Quantize value. If you press [Shift]-[Return], the insert position does not change, allowing you to enter chords.

Check the Cubase site. Cubase 5 does have this feature but I don't know when it was introduced, or whether essentials supports this.

This feature has been around since Cubase was known as Pro24, i.e back into the 80's

Dont settle for Cubase 4 trust me, if youre a student you can pick up Cubase 6 artist for $150 if not you can get cubase 6 essentials for $99.

Just search for cubase 6 at sweetwater.com or guitarcenter.com.

And yeah you can use your computer keyboard but pick up an m-audio keyrig for $99 when you can

Back