Placing monitors against wall

Danny Dent

Hey all,

I'm planning on buying a set of monitors (Looking into the KRK Rockit 6's) and have some questions regarding placement.

I'm working in a bedroom studio so I'm somewhat limited to placement and by the looks of it I can either place my monitors against the back wall, or do a bit (a lot) of work to make my desk go deeper to place my monitors away from the wall. Are there any ways to place my monitors against the back wall without compromising the low end?

Secondly, the left and right walls are about 2.5m apart with my head sitting about 1.4m from the left. Can sound from the monitors bounce badly between these walls, and if so, what can I do to prevent this?

Thanks!
Dan

PS If anyone has any suggestions regarding me choosing the KRK's, please say so. I'm still not sure which monitors I want.

the KRK's (g2) have a high freq resp knob allowing you to adjust based on distance from wall. I believe new models G3 may have more functions. You're gonna have some unwanted reflections regardless because of the circumstance. Bass builds up in corners, try to stuff them with pillows and that could hopefully do some work for ya. Also please, please, please sit in a symmetrical point between two walls, have your monitors fire down the length of your room, and keep your bedroom as symetrical as possible. the bed in the center back of the speakers could do some good bed absorption.

Wapiti Wisdom

Back