Oversaturation - Hip Hop Music

I'm not even speaking about lyrics actually... Just the "rapping ability" which makes rap an actual skill as compared to simply screaming words upon a track.

Basically no flow is a bit like a beat with no drums whatsoever, or no rythm... Taking the Acehood example, this dude has a great flow. In fact most rappers who have been successful had serious flows without entering in the details of the lyrics...

If you look at it that way, the content in hiphop started to fade away.. it's cool to some extent with me since it's a whole different society.
But the form had kept improving up to a point and now I feel like it is regressing. Or rather, I feel like we are being fed by the establishment with a retarded version.

Or rather, I feel like we are being fed by the establishment with a retarded version.

The establishment does not care about Hip Hop. There is more money in other things. How do you think Jay-Z, Diddy, Dr. Dre became so rich? It is not from Hip Hop or even music at this point.

Money > Hip Hop.

I agree with DI on the state of hip hop. Its good, but we romanticized the past so such. old-school=better. Was the music overall, mainstream and underground, really better. There was classic dudes and groups, but the volume today so much more than b4. Not to discount the legends, but there is good stuff out there (pac, big, and jay were not predicted to be one of the greatest when they first came out(remember Craig Mack?). Its just there is so saturation that we don't get the classic yr long rotation likedwe did back in the day. People rocked the Chronic hard for at least a yr, but that's almost impossible today.

Last edited:
Is anything really special for that long any more?

There's just too much Hip Hop music that there is no way for a song to have longevity.

Radio runs new songs into the ground in two weeks... you can hear the song at will on Youtube... there are 500 remixes from beatmakers...

What - if anything - makes you like a song for more than a month?

Hip Hop is the drive thru of music. No restaurant.

To be perfectly honest, I mostly listen to my beats and have given up [for now] on chasing the 'flavors of the month'....

With that said, I was recently feeling 'out of touch' so I decided to listen to the mainstream hip hop radio station the other day (106.1 KMEL) ......the same songs played over and over....It reminded me why I stopped listening some time back. :4theloveofgod:

they just don't make like this anymore:

You know your getting older when the 'older' r&b stations are playing the songs you remember from high school...

Aww damn..

How it is not true... if I take any list of the "best rappers" made by anyone they will all have a great delivery... Unless you go at the very begining of hiphop where you had a lot of fruity rappers too.. but even then, they had more content and delivery than some of the stuff you hear today...

I don't speak of rappers in general anyway. Just the best of the best have always had a good if not great delivery and they are the ones who had the best longevity too.

But now, you got Tity boi dumbing his flow down, Future and his coarse voice.. etc.. People lost appreciation for the delivery skills. It's a shame.

Especially when I hear youngings with actually dope flows and definite mainstream appeal (even bodying those trapstyle tracks which proves they can be flexible) and content that just don't have access to a strong enough medium to get heard...
Don't get brainwashed, there are dope stuff out here but you just don't hear about it because it just don't make its way to your ears...
That's just the way the industry evolved but it's a shame...

Let's think about the era that you speak of when you bring up "delivery and flow". The guys who actually ran that era were who? MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Sir Mix A Lot, Luke, Snap, C&C Music Factory, Marky Mark, Kriss Kross, House of Pain, ect. Hint........the reason hip hop rappers were biitching even back then. Crying like babies on their songs....."this real hip hop..forget the fake rap...blah,blah,blah.......same as today. Given the opportunity they would "sell out" to...or end up where they are today. Who's the blame? But what we did have was a solid underground following. We wasn't after the world in a since to being flashy, we just wanted the City behind us. Without the underground, I wouldn't care about Compton, Boogie Down, Hollis, Bed Stuy, Marcy, East 99, Orange Mound, The Bay, Wild Hundreds, and on and on. People had their back because they had theirs. And you see where it took them. It's much more than just saying you from it, they relate to the home team for what singles out the home team from everybody.

And I understand how you as well as others feel about most Atlanta style rappers. Yall always bringing up how we sound and what not. But that's the thing that made us and still makes us be where we are. Because we steady bringing you something different......and in this day in age now for over 13 years...still give people a way to make "SOME KIND OF GOT DAMN MONEY". lmao! So since everybody loves money....there shouldn't be no complaining. Because when everybody stop using our styles to benefit theirself...we will still be "doing us" and the home team will "still be supporting"......so it's all good on this end of the rap world.

In other words.......QUIT BLAMING PEOPLE WHERE I'M AT FOR THE WORLD NOT WANTING DELIVERY AND FLOW AND WHAT NOT. In the end, who's fault is it really? When people do what we does, it's only right for us to show'em how it's done. WHAT.........other people are expected to do our style better than us? LMAO! Come on man. Other type rappers don't even sound right. They sound too "proper". LMAO! How you hood rapping all proper English style or in some kind of actors voice? Wu Tang didn't do it.......

And it's more than just hooks, we got a whole city behind us. We got the world now. Don't like it....DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT...or continue to play "can't beat them, might as well join them"....the same way it's been going down for 13 years. That is the destiny of over saturation. Why haven't Kendrick released anything that isn't "Southern Influence"? Looks like it was his only hope to me........and was everyone else's only hope. Kanye ot to put his face on building to display his WACK ASS shit.....but people think anything he does is good because...well....it's Kanye....it's suppose to be good.

You now have answers and solutions. Problem is.......it ain't easy. So the easy way feels like the only hope. Because people want two things that wont mix without some other ingredience to test out.......the shit don't bubble or do nothing...it just sits there separated.......one new ingredient might blow up in your face and kill your dreams, another may create a potion that the world enjoys....nobody wants their face blown off.....Future looking like Muhammad Ali right now....he still pretty!!!

:cheers: Shit is funny....dedicated to you.....

That's a bad ass flow and delivery on that hook and UOENO it. Live a little bit man......I'll make you love Future. :cheers:

Future has his own genre man......

Last edited:
Why do people think I am speaking about something so old lol ? first I don't listen to old school hiphop for the most part.

But Tell me those guys do not have flow : (these are just random examples)

Bun B, Pimp C, three 6 mafia, Young Bloodz, G-unit, Ja Rule, FlipMode squad, Nicki Minaj, Drake, YMMCMB, Ludacris, Childish Gambino, Casey Veggies, ASAP whatever, T-Pain, MIMS, Rocko, MMG, Dom Kennedy, Grand Hustle, Pro-Era etc etc etc.. I'm okay with all that whatever the content is, if there are skills involved then at least part of the legacy of hiphop is maintained.

I appreciate a whooole lot of things.. But when someone can't flow properly, that shit annoys me.. It's like going back to 2008 all over again and listening to the songs people were sending me on soundclick. Gucci Mane I was able to bear with it and actually appreciate because when you pay attention, it is really particular and you can feel the rythm of his words.

But now observing the "increasing number" of artists dumbing down their flows and being kind of the most successful, I'm afraid all that improvement on rapping "technique" that was made in the past is going to waste. Maybe it's just a moment in hiphop history.. I hope.

Last edited:
^^^Want to hear something that may make people upset? I feel the way you feel about Future with Jay-Z on faster beats. He is sloppy.......but people think it's some kind of unique style......sloppy to me though.

I've heard Eminem rap sloppy as hell on plenty of his own songs. People would argue with me that it is some kind of genius rhythm.......but I know for a fact he is sloppy. Dude rapped on a 5/4 beat......and the shit was funny how sloppy he was. Sure it was on beat.....but he didn't know what to do with that signature. He was trying to rap it in a way of it sounding like it's struggling to fit a 4/4 rhythm in it. BUT.....to the world of Eminem fans they can't see no wrong because their not like me....all of my life searching for new rhythms. It lets me know how much advanced I am than people's favorite rappers. I've heard Nas being sloppy.....even Twista at his own style. These are on album tracks...no freestyles or mixtapes...shit that's in stores.

NOW...with all of that said....I can still appreciate the songs for what they are as I don't listen "critically". As I'm not listening to them pin pointing what needs to be fix. Obviously they must've wanted it that way....or lazy and didn't care...or just not advanced enough to hit those curves to make a groove of lyrical pattern flawless. Me...in this day in time....I can style write the rhythms. Performing them......I need time to get back on the mic right...get back in my mode of showing these rappers what time it is. But like the what this thread is about.....WHAT'S THE USE? That's not an I've given up question...hell I got in a zone with some of my old 96' rhymes and wowed people at work....felt good...I style got it. But today calls for fools to make projections on skyskrapers to some random beats.....why should I work hard? Today calls for people listening to who they feel is competition and trying to get on adding to their style to use it for their own.....some lurking ass dude.....why should I work hard? If I'm the greatest rapper of all time......how do I prove it without having some kind of gimmick to say HERE I AM? Shit takes a lot more strategy than getting heard. And when you get older, you lose that old crowd to R&B, Chill type music........and you never gain the new listeners due to it not being a certain way to please them. SO DAMN....I END UP BEING A SMOOTH ASS SPOKEN WORD RAPPER...rapping to jazz type music...funk...ect. Something I never thought I would be.....I'm a top 5 type dude....I can hang that up now. OR.........I can change the game. But changing the game calls for less respect for an ear of rhythm as new cats learn and advance that without acknowledging their inspiration. See how fuucked shit is? THere is a market for an old man in hip hop.....but not for a legend. I still have a chance....and it's up to a young man like me to open the doors back up for rappers like LL who reached out to the ones who he grew up listening to for his album. To Redman who had a good album for his latest but nobody gave a fuuck. My grip is not with the new gen at all, just that now that they know great marketing strategies, they have forgotten to "keep it true" to hip hop and give back. And they have this attitude of "so what...I don't care to be a Legend..I want this money."

I need to go to sleep. But I started this post to say.....listen to Futures rhythms a little more. It's actually a little better than what you think....just something else about him you not liking. If you can remember No Limit....Silk the Shocker had a weird type rhythm...but it worked for him...he sounded like he was just extremely off the beat...but it worked for him with the beat. Same with Mystikal.....he knows how to squeeze every bit of air out of a pocket....why I label him a genius.

People talk about these rappers man....they all premitive to me. I've heard better rhythms from underground rappers in 94' than Kedrick Lamar. And I go extra hard on this young man because of YALL. Yall are not used to ACTUAL SKILL....stuff yall wowed about is premitive to not only me but a lot of us. EVERYBODY took steps back. Even G Rap....he so advanced now that his rhythmic flow turns simple into the pocket.....been there done that.

I have more of an excuse not to love hip hop any more.....hell I feel like I hit level 256 a long time ago.
PACMAN_lastLevel_01.jpg

I could pick up a school book and rap the shit wrote in it in a unique rhythm. There wasn't a pocket I couldn't hit.............Eminem ain't shit....your favorite rapper either. No B.S

But then Smooth Da Hustla shocked me......Twista shocked me, Mystikal shocked me, Juve shocks me with Ha. Nas only makes me proud, he never amazed me. Kool G always amazes me.

NOW.......people would enjoy hip hop more if they can actually appreciate innovation. Because there is no one in the world (even me) that has every rhythm in hip hop figured out. But today...I could easy say I'm not impressed with SHIT...everything is wack...and I can feel confident in feeling that way. But I do know how to turn of the superman mode and enjoy this primitive shit. Shit was way more advanced in 97 -99 in hip hop than today.

Damn I'm enjoying these speakers. Wooooooooooooooooooooo! I need to go to sleep.

Last edited:
yall mother****ers argue about the same shit over and over. dumb mother****ers start threads just so people can disagree.
and its always the same mother****ers.
why dont yall exchange numbers so yall can talk about this dumb shit until your ears start bleeding.

Last edited:
lol.....boy stop! lmao! Welcome to a real world. It's not a race thing...it just is what is is. I've been around all types of people....I know who listens to what. Black woman "I know" don't want to be in the car with you while you playing "dubstep".........unless they trying to get you for your papa...claim to enjoy whatever you like. She gone tell you to turn it to the "black station". LMAO! The radio presets are not set to mixed music with a "majority of black girls". It's on hip hop stations, r&b, oldies, and whatever is left it might get top 40 so they can go "I like that song...it's my sooong girl..heeeheeehahhahaaaa"....then when it's over they change the station.

Come on now! Let's get real.

Yall kill me with your "own" views of how you feel things should be compared to what it is. Most likely if you with a black chick of the same "culture" as you as a black man....you won't be chilling listening to Taylor Swift.......Skrillex.........um...shit....whoever else. It would be odd for that....it can happen because "YOU"..are looking for woman that would fit that kind of category...where you kiss and do the robotic tick to 126 to 140 bpm music.......so good it make you want to wife her because of the music.

I have no idea of what small piece of the world you inhabit..... But all I hear is generalizations. Perhaps a kernel of truth in there but it's drown out by negativity.

My best friend grew up in Compton .... Dre played his prom in a surgeons mask lol. Loves him some reggae, but also Ice Cube, Devo, Air and all manner of classic rock.
Plenty of different people listen to plenty of different genres of music in plenty of places

Is anything really special for that long any more?

There's just too much Hip Hop music that there is no way for a song to have longevity.

Radio runs new songs into the ground in two weeks... you can hear the song at will on Youtube... there are 500 remixes from beatmakers...

What - if anything - makes you like a song for more than a month?

Hip Hop is the drive thru of music. No restaurant.

wouldnt these same bullet points hold true for all music genres not just hip hop tho?

I have no idea of what small piece of the world you inhabit.....

Don't get offended to a point you want to prove something that reality proves otherwise. If you haven't been around black woman all of your life......your point is null and void.

I wouldn't give a FUUUUUUUCK if anybody gets offended by the word black....black music. Dudes on FP be like "music is for everyone"....cool....but don't forget the name and don't try to change that shit.......listen and leave it alone. We have Jet, Ebony, Black Entertainment Television, our own section in grocery stores for our hair and body products.........we do things differently across the U.S. We buy up some got damn baby oil.....we get ashy......you think Ashy Larry when you see it.

Let's get back to BLACK...............ENTERTAINMENT............ TELEVISION.........who was this station made for? Everybody? But with that said, it was still no discrimination for other races to get real "hip hop" that MTV would've missed. MTV had a bigger audience to keep happy than just "black people". Now all of that means nothing....you have an internet where a blog post from a person with his own selfish thoughts has more meaning than a person who actually lived it, studied it, experienced it. Then people get offended. Music gets passed arund and then what happens? People forget the reality of where it came from........and you silently want that.

I love black woman. Does that offend anybody?

Even if I was 21 today, I would still have a respect for Miles Davis, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, 2Pac..........because of how I was brought up. It's more than just a piece of history....or a way to make money. I definitely do not expect everyone in the world to be the same way. Because then I should be ashamed of myself for not liking yodel music, black metal, ect.

Black dudes do music.........we have people to look up also. Say something bad about The Beetles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughn......you might lose your life.....seriously. But all yo black ass wants to do is sample our shit and hope to get rich...don't even want to pay your elders for getting rich off their music.

Soul and old school stations are across the U.S for a reason....they just didn't pop up from nowhere.

Last edited:
Don't get offended to a point you want to prove something that reality proves otherwise. If you haven't been around black woman all of your life......your point is null and void.

I wouldn't give a FUUUUUUUCK if anybody gets offended by the word black....black music. Dudes on FP be like "music is for everyone"....cool....but don't forget the name and don't try to change that shit.......listen and leave it alone. We have Jet, Ebony, Black Entertainment Television, our own section in grocery stores for our hair and body products.........we do things differently across the U.S. We buy up some got damn baby oil.....we get ashy......you think Ashy Larry when you see it.

Let's get back to BLACK...............ENTERTAINMENT............ TELEVISION.........who was this station made for? Everybody? But with that said, it was still no discrimination for other races to get real "hip hop" that MTV would've missed. MTV had a bigger audience to keep happy than just "black people". Now all of that means nothing....you have an internet where a blog post from a person with his own selfish thoughts has more meaning than a person who actually lived it, studied it, experienced it. Then people get offended. Music gets passed arund and then what happens? People forget the reality of where it came from........and you silently want that.

I think I may have misunderstood you.
I did not take offense to the term Black Music. The term "black music" means to me: blues, jazz, rock, reggae, rap, hip hop ( I distinguish), techno, house...,. And just about any other worthwhile forms of popular music in the US over the passed century.
You're correct , I was not raised by a black lady. I concede to not being an authority on any culture. Please forgive me if I mistook your tone for negativity.... if it was not.

I listened to your beats.... They're great.. And I enjoyed them .

I do not listen to any specific type of music to the exclusion of others..

I believe you made a generalization about people who listen to EDM.
This was what I was speaking on.

I do not listen to EDM so I don't need to defend it...... My point was, that this is a forum full of very creative people, and when you characterize someone who listens to EDM in a certain way, you put em in a "box".
This brings down the discourse.
You know who listens to EDM?
Every super Producer out there...
You know why? Because music in the main stream is global and EDM sells units globally .... Case in point Lady Gaga (not a fan). Her tunes sound like the underground house music of the late 80s...
If we are going to grow as creatives, we will need to look beyond our comfort zones...

Case in point:
Dr. Dre Says He's Listening To Kraftwerk, Parliament Funkadelic | HipHopDX Mobile

music is an Artform weather u like it or not,its always goin to change regardless nothing stays the same ..

An Artform right? I feel you speak this from only a "hip hop" point a view. When was the last time you've been around guys who were having a blue's jam session? What was the difference in that Jam session than great blues of the past?

Maistream success in hip hop got people brainwashed and they don't even know it. No offense. Like acoustic music has changed over the years......just a guitar and vocals. People make good money just using that....what do they do....tap their foot to a new rhythm and change the game?

Live performances suffer because of this generation's thought process. A rapper walking back and forth on stage........a bunch of goons on stage.....then people want to talk shit about Hammer selling out.....like his people on stage didn't BUST THEIR MFING ASS to get there. Thank you Hammer....that's how you do it...no half steppin....give the people what they want.

This is what hip hop musicians want

No work.....think yall working hard. Yeah......you can't wait to make it big so you can say how much work YOU DIDN'T DO to get where you at.

Got rich kids talking bout "CAME FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE.......that's hip hop today. Because it is an art form that changes regardless.

I love em too!
I love all the others too... White to Black.... Fat to thin.... Age 18 through 72.
;)
I cast my net far and wide, as they say

I believe you made a generalization about people who listen to EDM.
This was what I was speaking on.

That was just my sense of humor.....with some truth added to it. It's all good. It's all love and convo.

I be like a broken record on here. I try to give people real world facts to break them outside of what they THINK they see when they haven't really seen anything. So when more and more people share their views in that way without facts....and we listen to that and trust it as something to believe.....then the truth gets lost in the history books for others to be misinformed. We can't hide reality with what we WANT it to be. We have to tackle it face on at all times. Then we can come to solutions. I'm the type of person who has always had interest in other cultures....so I can speak my views from a real world perspective. So when they bring their culture to my city EVERYONE CAN ENJOY.

There are SOOOOOOOOOO many cultures that people are not hip to...so their views show they don't have a real culture where they are at....or they are not excepted in that culture.....or they are so wrapped up in other people's cultures nthat are popularize to not even give a shit about the one down the street from them.

DON'T LET PEOPLE STEAL YOUR CULTURE BY USING EXCUSES LIKE "EVOLUTION"....because it is THEFT.

People like me is who they fear to run the music industry. Because we all gone eat.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

I listened to your beats.... They're great.. And I enjoyed them .

Thanks!

Last edited:

If you black and haven't heard this song more than 10 times so far this year.....something is wrong.

I'm black and haven't heard it since I was living with my parents

and plus you know I'm on this

Rice give this southern boy a listen
this song is straight fire (based on talent alone plus the TRUTH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-Coach Antonio

Last edited:
Back