Open letter to Jay-Z

i agree with some of what you say. but J. Cole saying that the legends need to get out the way is right. as much as you act like folks haven't put in the work, time, effort and energy into doing what they do isn't true across the board for all of the artists coming up today. you should be able to tell who is an artist and who's doing it for other reasons.

ali actually said that he believed he was the champ, or told himself he was the champ way before anyone else thought he was the champ. hip hop is very ego driven, everyone is telling you that they are number one. and you're right, where is the work? where's the proof?

don't say they can't make the music that legends make. that's not completely true. a radio friendly single in this climate? what is that? we've got a lot of payrollin/ aka politics that's deciding what "radio friendly" is.

if you noticed those folks I mentioned in that post with diversity on the radio, they're all hits, classics by legends or artists still around today and they sound nothing alike. they were fortunate enough to set the standards for what is deemed "classic" or "great" within the genre.

**** politics. ill type it again **** politics. that's whats currently messin up music in all genres. hip hop was born from rebellion. like rock n roll. if hip hop is a house party, or came from kids dancing, tagging, and expressing themselves in the streets as an art form, can you see the disconnect when you pull up in a car that costs more than people's mortgages? they completely changes the whole vibe.

lets have a house party. there are always cool parents, and relatives that can still party and get down with the youngin's but they have clubs, balls and galas. they should be hosting the house party, not owning the house, so that they can invite who they want, and kick everyone out that doesn't play by their rules, or have a "track record" so to speak. krs-one said it was about coming together to have a good time.

where's a good time if i gotta have coasters, worry about spilling anything on super expensive stuff, and everyone's gotta be clothed in designer wear? that ain't a party. there should be soul train lines, people dancing showing out, people cyphering and everyone gettin down.

where's the love, or the good music when you're trying to **** me over through a music contract? how many artists are "discovered" and "signed" by a "legend" or someone never to be heard from again, or pushed to the background with albums that never drop.

these legends need to take notes from Carlos Santana. he'll show you how to age gracefully while still staying true to the art you do.

"Get out of the way"?????

:cry:

This is a BUSINESS, not a PLAYGROUND!!

the new guys need to MAKE THEIR OWN WAY!!!

aint nobody in their way!

Back