Open letter to Jay-Z

When people go to an Audi car dealership they don't wanna constantly hear about how awesome Mercedes are.

I can understand where this guy is coming from, he makes some valid points indeed but that beat he's hailing as classic material is way overrated, it has some potential but isn't something I would die to hear Jay-Z spit on.

I think Blueprint Jay Z would have interest in this dilemma. But I'm not sure mogul Jay Z cares anymore.

I think Blueprint Jay Z would have interest in this dilemma. But I'm not sure mogul Jay Z cares anymore.

I think this is kind of his point overall, like a way to tell Jay he has lost touch with his roots more than anything else.
What he says about how the industry works and how they seek "new" producers that sound like another producer is true of music in general but a lot more obvious in hip hop and pop music.

I really don't see the point of the letter. Jay-Z said that he was going with a specific sound for his next album and the beat he got wasn't what he was looking for.

Wack beat, wack topic. I didn't even dignify that shit with a read.
Jay doesn't need Mr. Nice Guy Humble Beatmaker giving him A&R from the cheapseats.

I think this is kind of his point overall, like a way to tell Jay he has lost touch with his roots more than anything else.
What he says about how the industry works and how they seek "new" producers that sound like another producer is true of music in general but a lot more obvious in hip hop and pop music.

This open letter is more like a letter to the music industry, in general: "Stop looking for copycats and give us original guys a chance!"

And this has been the message from independent - and often rejected - artists for YEARS. Comes off as the same ole story of people thinking their music deserves a shot, and it should be accepted as-is, and the people rejecting it don't know what they're talking about. Ideal and great and all, but not realistic.

Respect for that producer
people nowadays care to much for success nowadays rather than contriubuting to the artform they love, success should just be a bonus
Music should be seen more as an artform and less as a career.

Hov' on that new shit, niggas like "How come?"
Niggas want my old shit, buy my old albums

Niggas stuck on stupid, I gotta keep it movin'
Niggas make the same shit, me I make The Blueprint
Came in the Range, hopped out the Lexus
Every year since, I been on that next shit
Traded in the gold for the platinum Rolexes
Now a nigga wrist match the status of my records
Used to rock a throwback, ballin on the corner
Now I rock a tailored suit, lookin like a owner
No I'm not a Jonas, Brother I'm a grown up
No I'm not a virgin, I use my cojones
I move onward, the only direction
Can't be scared to fail in the search of perfection
Gotta keep it fresh girl, even when we sexin
But don't be mad at him when it's on to the next one

Jay-Z

Instead of writing letters he needs to work on his connections. Basically every track on the last album was by somebody established or somebody connected to an established cat (that teenage girl got a track on there). Also, I'm not sure why he would reference Hov's classic shit when he really doesn't work with those beats anymore.
Plus, Jay's own artist ,J Cole, can't even get a placement with Jay.

Last edited:
You guys should read the letter more attentively. But some of the points you raised are also somewhat valid imho.

Last edited:
1) WHO???

2) He's proving that he doesn't understand the nature of business. He's not supposed to have access to an artist of Hov's stature. Why? BECAUSE HE HASN'T EARNED IT YET. He thinks simply because he WANTS it, then he should HAVE IT. Yeah, him and a million other "producers".

3) He keeps saying "my vision" and "the producer's vision". Being a producer is about THE ARTISTS VISION. It's your job as a producer to BRING THE ARTISTS VISION TO LIFE. The producer attempting to push his vision to the forefront is the reason that hip hop got to the point where the beats are better than the rappers. As a producer myself, if my instrumental outshines the artist, THEN I'VE FAILED.

4) There's a reason why this beat didn't make it past the gate keeper. Just press play.

the beat invalidates any points he makes in the letter. wack. this wouldn't make the cut (not even close) for the albums in era he talked about (vol 2-blueprint.) and that's not the style jay-z is going for anyway.

Wow, I like that beat though... I agree with some of the points raised but I can totally see Jay on this.

1) WHO???

2) He's proving that he doesn't understand the nature of business. He's not supposed to have access to an artist of Hov's stature. Why? BECAUSE HE HASN'T EARNED IT YET. He thinks simply because he WANTS it, then he should HAVE IT. Yeah, him and a million other "producers".

3) He keeps saying "my vision" and "the producer's vision". Being a producer is about THE ARTISTS VISION. It's your job as a producer to BRING THE ARTISTS VISION TO LIFE. The producer attempting to push his vision to the forefront is the reason that hip hop got to the point where the beats are better than the rappers. As a producer myself, if my instrumental outshines the artist, THEN I'VE FAILED.

4) There's a reason why this beat didn't make it past the gate keeper. Just press play.

This is interesting, cause lately i've been noticing this not with producers but with rappers as well.

These new producers/rappers have some kind of "entitlement mentality" where they feel that they should be given things just because they exist. Iggy Azelea named her album "The New Classic", J. Cole said something along of the lines "The legends need to move to the side and give us new guys a chance"...

Where does this mentality come from? I don't get it... Since when do you become great by saying i'm gonna be great? It's like people forgot the actual "working" part of the equation.

Bradley sat right in front of Pacquiao...told him "I don't see it in you anymore, you don't have the hunger... it's my time" When into that fight trying to score the big knockout, trying to dodge punches like he was Ali... shaking and dancing, trying to prove a point... what point?

Big punch one... misses
Big punch two... misses...
Big punch three... misses...

more misses...

looking like a damn fool out there while Pacquiao, a fundamentally rooted boxer, humbled his ass down.

Again... mother****ers keep forgetting the work part of the equation...

Anyone seen Shark Tank? These guys walk in there with 1 million dollar company evaluations, "How many sales did you do last year?" One of the investors asks... "well... umm... what had happen was...we haven't really sold any product yet...but..." Investor laughs right in their face.

The work part, mother****er, where IS THE WORK? Where is the track record?

Someone explain it to me, cause honest to god, i don't get it.

Mother****ers want to be rap legends but can't make the type of music legends make. Mother****ers want to blow up but refuse to make radio friendly singles. Mother****ers complain about their record contracts but don't want to learn how to read the contract. Mother****ers want to produce for Hov, but they got demands...

You don't want to put the work? You don't have the track record?

You will be replaced.

Get with the program.

Last edited:
Wack beat, wack topic. I didn't even dignify that shit with a read.
Jay doesn't need Mr. Nice Guy Humble Beatmaker giving him A&R from the cheapseats.

Pretty much.

Jay-Z can work with almost anybody he wants to. That producer needs to boss up and start working with the thousands of other artists that want music. If he becomes hot enough, Jay-Z will seek him out.

Stop bowing down to these dudes and become a King of your own.

track is garbage who does this guy think he is? prevented from getting a track to him? BS, send it to a roc nation A&r and move on.

Pretty much.

Jay-Z can work with almost anybody he wants to. That producer needs to boss up and start working with the thousands of other artists that want music. If he becomes hot enough, Jay-Z will seek him out.

Stop bowing down to these dudes and become a King of your own.

Well dude worked quite actively with at the very least two of the 2014 XXL freshmen (Chance and Vic Mensa).. affiliated with Justice League etc etc..

Just to put things into context...

Back