Online Diggin' & Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not diggin...its more like online downloading...do what works though...for me there's no thrill/gratification in typing and clicking to find beats...plus you'll never find that super rare stuff in a digital format...

yeah u will. if they recorded it, then its online. evrything is online now. the only difference between diggin in crates and diggin online is u aint gotta buy the records...just download em. plus it saves space. i've got thousands and thousands of songs all saved on an external hardrive. if i had all the actuall records i'd have nowhere to put em.

so you're telling me you'd be able to find a 1970's funk album by some band that released the album themselves with a pressing of 250 records online...i highly doubt that...

J.Hol said:
yeah u will. if they recorded it, then its online. evrything is online now. the only difference between diggin in crates and diggin online is u aint gotta buy the records...just download em. plus it saves space. i've got thousands and thousands of songs all saved on an external hardrive. if i had all the actuall records i'd have nowhere to put em.
False.

You couldn't possibly be an experienced digger. You think everything that has EVER been recorded is online? Thats crazy. There's plenty of times I find a Gem in the crates, but don't like the quality and try to search for the mp3 of it, and its nowhere to be found.

That being said, nothing is wrong with online digging (Fly Sh*t and Soul Sh*t on my myspace both came from L*mewire), but I tend to have better odds going thru crates. But definitely use all your resources, because online digging is free.

Last edited:
Whatever it is, it doesn't deserved to be called digging, don't get it confused with crate digging.

Keep that **** far away from the culture of crate digging.

People are mostly lazy now a days. Or you just got no love for music and you'd rather download MP3's and rape the **** out of any artist you can find to make a quick buck.

Herbs.

Last edited:
Anyone heard of Usenet Newsgroups?

im sure not every song is online but tons are. I got about 9000 songs from 1960-1978. when im done with those il probly buy turntable and then hunt for records.

There is no such thing as online digging. If a song is on the internet then its GUARANTEED to have been flipped at least 1000 by different people.

I agree with madface, people are either lazy or just lack the passion.

You may find a few gems but there nothing like going to a used
record store.Most stuff found in Newsgroups is
just release(New).
Soulseek(P2P) has alot of rare stuff

culture of digging...

idk man.. i dont agree wit online digging, but at the same time.. i dont agree with "CRATE DIGGERS"...

i kno people who dig in crates, just to listen to ****.. dont appreciate the artist.. use em for one break and thats it..

naw man, when i DIG (which is rare), i find an artist, i study that artist, and look for other records and artist that are similar..

blind diggers get no credit from me.. just give em a box of records and then in a week they'll chop the **** up.. not even carin about the artist or anything like that...

culture of digging?? naww i dont think its really a CULTURE.. takin it a lil to seriously.. thats like saying.. collecting books is a CULTURE.. its a hobby that take seriously... but granted..

i have vinyl.. becase i like vinyl.. not because im a producer.. which pisses me off, that people think that i listen to Jaco and Barry White and stuff like that because im searchin for samples..

the same way a person searches online for samples, with the risk of viruses and things like that.. is similar to u or anybody else goin to a basement and collecting dusty records with the risk of ****in up ur lungs lol..

theyre so similar.. yet people try to make em different...

ehh i dont see the big deal.. lets just make music..
bullsh*t can take u to the top, but it cant keep u there..

Culture * the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.
It's definitely a culture, that can't be debated.

Some people dig just for love of collecting, just for the love of music and the passion, some dig only for **** to use and don't care what they use, some do both. Just like there's different producers there's different diggers, there's different people. In the end we're all individuals.

But I've met far more individuals who really love music amongst real crate diggers, as opposed to those who download MP3s. Man, those who download MP3 don't even pay for the music, support no artist, no recording company, no studio. They just steal the whole album/song in addition to the sampling.

How can anyone say they love music if they only download it, and not legally?

You don't love music if you steal from the people who produce it. Sampling a lil break here and there from **** you've paid for, is way different from downloading whole albums just for the purpose of sampling them.

Last edited:
who gives a f*ck as long as the music is hot. but i will say diggin in them crates does have its advantages. but if you cook up a good steak, nobody cares if you got the meat from Bob's grocery or Mike's grocery.

BTW scratch n beat the "fly ****" is hot.

Well, that's another question, the question of quality.

Sampling from MP3 is like making steak from a diseased bull.

Unless you're digging for brand new vinyl, the artist isn't getting paid either. Besides aesthetics, some notion of "purity", or arguments about selection, I fail to see what difference the source of the music makes once it's inside your sampler.

Digging for brand new vinyl kind of defeats the purpose of digging... But either way, the music isn't stolen in the first place. Even if the money just ends up in the pockets of the store owner, that's a good cause in my eyes.

J.Hol said:

This guy has no idea what hes talking about and has probably only been in a record shop once, IF THAT!

Theres no way to find that rare stuff you don't know what to look for online, because you don't know how to look for it. When in a record shop you can walk around an find interesting stuff you've never heard of. Never be able to find it online because well, you've never heard of it. Not everything is online. What about a small soul band or rock and roll band that only sold couple thousand records back in the day, or not even a thousand records. Get me some of there stuff.

Last edited:
madface said:
Whatever it is, it doesn't deserved to be called digging, don't get it confused with crate digging.

Keep that **** far away from the culture of crate digging.

People are mostly lazy now a days. Or you just got no love for music and you'd rather download MP3's and rape the **** out of any artist you can find to make a quick buck.

Herbs.

I'd have to agree here. I don't think they can be put in the same category. BUT, it is here and there is nothing we can do about it. I personally love e-digging but i would love to have a room full of vinyl as well because of the art of finding those diamonds in the rough. Whatever works for you. but don't hate on e-digging PLEASE! just like the debate over what equipment to use...AS LONG AS IT WORKS 4 YOU, USE IT!!!:D

like i said.. i really cant comment on the illegal mp3 situation because i cant front, i download my fair share of illegal sh*t lol..

but then again.. i still dont consider it a CULTURE... "digging" and "diggers".. but thats opinion i guess.. its watever

all i kno is.. that in the major scheme of thing... u can have ur guy who digs in the crates and still make WACK ASS BEATS.. and then on the flip side u can have the guy who is STEALING sh*t and coming out with some krazy material...

i use the term stealing lightly, mainly because like some one said.. unless ur buying new vinyl.. u most likely arent taking anything away from those artists.. at least nuttin substantial..

as far as the quality goes.. cant argue wit u there.. MP3 doesnt really do much for me.. but its wateva u kno??

u think an A & R is gonna care if a person downloaded the sample or sampled it from vinyl.. all there gonna wanna kno is a Name, Artist and the Year.. so they can clear that sh*t...

all im sayin is.. in the end... all this stuff is really dividing us from the real goal.. making hot ass music..

idc if lil johnny down the block is usin his cracked version of FL.. if his beats are hot, y should i care.. that means i need to get on my grind.. i spend 300 sumthin for Reason, and this nigga got it for free.. AND hes makin hotter beats then me.. then i needa step my game up..

nuttin more then just competition in my eyes.. if online diggers are comin up wit better quality then vinyl diggers.. then theres a problem lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back