Official Asr X/pro Discussion...

sup i make beats on reason and i've been lookin into gettin an asr-x one becuase they cheap on ebay, and if im not any good it wont be much of a lose...and two, i hear they have better effects, and "phatter" sound than the mpc. how much of this is true? can i get some pros and cons, and any examples anyone got of this "phatter" sound...aight peace.

asrx has phatter sound then reason and fl, not sure about mpc, but its tough to figure out, a lot more complicated then software, exspecially if you have been learning on software, man, i got software down.. but i just bought this ASRX PRO and im ****in clueless.. i cant even save. how do i ****in a save a loop, i can save sequences to .mid file but then what.. midi files suck!!! can i save to AIFF or WAV or something else.. i just wanna burn a beat i made already and i cant figure it out. i tried to load the mid file into cubase and it sounds dumb, sounds like a cellphone ringer like ting ting ding.. stupid. any other way to mix music down on the X . -thanks -Stressed!

FrankManic said:
asrx has phatter sound then reason and fl, not sure about mpc, but its tough to figure out, a lot more complicated then software, exspecially if you have been learning on software, man, i got software down.. but i just bought this ASRX PRO and im ****in clueless.. i cant even save. how do i ****in a save a loop, i can save sequences to .mid file but then what.. midi files suck!!! can i save to AIFF or WAV or something else.. i just wanna burn a beat i made already and i cant figure it out. i tried to load the mid file into cubase and it sounds dumb, sounds like a cellphone ringer like ting ting ding.. stupid. any other way to mix music down on the X . -thanks -Stressed!

did you make "in the rain" on ya myspace on the asr? that beat was sick....

ASR does NOT have a phatter sound than the mpc.

ASR is very difficult to use compared to other hardware/software.

i got an ASRX and its timmme consuming, the learning process is slow.. i mean i can throw some **** together on it, but not master sounds. the filters are cool, but im so used to graphical ****. the sound is full, i can barely sample anything because i need more ram, the 3.5 floppy is bull**** and i know nothing about SCSI connections. thats what up, who wanna trade for mpc?? haha

and no --- i have made nothing on the ASRX yet because i cannot save anything execpt a ****in midi file which is pointless.

Last edited:
B Unit said:
Yo Frank Maniac i know how i jack samples off your pc into your asr-x...i was doin it tonight. just get one of those big to little adapters for like a buck or two at guitar center or music store, for your regular audio cord so the big cord can fit into the small audio input on the back on the pc.

what you do is simple im sure you already know this but if you dont now you do! you take the cord and plug it into the "Phones" output on the ASR-X and plug the other end of the cord into the big to small adapter and plug it into the soundcard speaker output. simple, now you can jack all the sample you want simply by hitting the sample button on the asr and then play the sample on the pc. what i do is open up fruity loops and pick out the samples i want and when i find one just hit sample on the asr then click the mouse to play the sample in fruity loops. its basically just audio recording. the only problem i have with this(you might not on your pc) is that my computer makes a hissing noise, but it isnt that bad. tell me if this works for you

That is a good way to jack samples from fruityloops and put on your asr x pro. Here is Another method you could try that will give you no hiss at all. Say you have a four bar beat on your pro, and you want to put some samples from fruityloops on it. >Set the tempo in FL to the tempo of your asr, if you want the instrument to play the full loop, play the note accordingly in the step sequencer of FL to how you want it on the X. Or if you just want one note it doesnt matter what the tempo is. >Then export it as a wave file and send it to floppy. >Load the sound on floppydisk into your asr x. > now, reformat the floppy disk on your computer. > Insert the floppy disk back into the asr x pro, and scroll to the custom bank.> Save the sound as 1 sound. And now just to make sure all exess wav files are off your asr x pro before you load the floppy back in ,delete all references by holding down track sound and pushing the exit no button, or you can just enter memory manager and delete all ram and sound banks. Load the 1 sound back in and find it in the custom bank spanning the range of the pads. {it's already a custom sound spanning the range of the keyboard from the previous steps but now there are no extra wav files on the asr x pro. Now, Chop and effect away, or not. I chop and effect alot on adobe audition now. You probably know this too but what the hell.

This one goes out to Frank Maniac...man dont give up on this machine. i hated it for awhile but love it now. you have to learn it and i can help ya out with that just ask me anythin about it. first of all your gonna NEED the memory upgrade so you can sample more! i seen your pictures on myspace of your asr-x pro and you DO have scsi hook up. its simple to use all you do is get a zip drive off of ebay or somewhere else and plug it in with a SCSI cord. then you can save big time compaired to the floppy. plus it will be faster. its easy to save loops im at school right now but when i get out i will post how to do that for you!

Maximum sample times: Standard Memory (2 MB): 20.5 sec @ 44.1 kHz mono, 10.3 sec @ 44.1 kHz stereo - Fully expanded (66 MB): 13 minutes @ 44.1 kHz mono, 6.5 minutes @ 44.1 kHz stereo;

you must have 20 seconds sampling time on yours Maniac am i right??? or 10 in stereo. look how much you can sample with the upgrade!

http://www.syntaur.com/x-os.html

theres a link if you need to upgrade your operating system...it does it on the red box with a floppy! so im sure you could find it for free somewhere on the net from someone that has a asr-x pro. probley ask someone on here!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so i've been askin the question can you use the asr-x like recycle. what i like to do is chop each sample down to beats (ie 1 bar down to 4 beats). i realize that it won't chop up samples for you and when you edit samples its not in waveforms its numerical. ok got that. but what are the numbers? are they the number of samples? time? bars? is there a fixed number? say for instance if 1 bar is say "1000" or wateva...that means each beat would be "250" since 4 beats makes a bar that would equal "1000"....does it go like that? or are the numbers just random.....peace...

i feel that...damn is anything 'easy' about this thing....sounds like everything is like pullin teeth. might have to stick wit da mp.

Hey sorry about the obvious ad, but I have an ASR-X PRO that I just bought at the same time as my MPC on an impulse. I kinda jumped the gun and I have to sell it to keep some financial stability. Sucks cus I was really into using it along side my MPC to have the best of both worlds.

If anybody needs an ASR-X PRO (the red one) with the latest software update, original manual, quickstart guide, floppy disk, maxed out 66MB RAM, and power cable...

I'm asking $500 plus $15 shipping to United States. International shipping, we'll talk about it.

It is in great condition! Very clean and fully working. It sucks I gotta sell it but I shoulda thought for a second before I bought it.

I'll even send you a CD with some really nice sample sets on it, plus a .PDF of the manual and the OS udpate for backup.

let me know if you are interested. mconcave@hotmail.com

thanks!!!

listen, you might get discouraged at first, if it doesnt have upgrades. and if your new to hardware use.. but eventually you will realize how powerful the machine really is. its like no other. its a ****in beast. the sequencer is awesome, you just need to know how to use it. the swing it has grooves like a mother****er. it kills drum grooves. the RAM def needs upgrade though. mine is stock and i cant load many sounds in it. but even the stock sounds that are kinda dinky can be effects with comp, filters and sound nice if you know what your doing. hope you got the manual. if not download it cause you will need it. im just getting into resampling and effect programming. i heard there is a time strectch trick out there. OH.. i got a ? too if anyone knows about the new SCSI to USB cable. would i be able to pull samples off my computer with this? or pull samples through recycle with this? cause i got midi to usb from M-audio and i cant pull samples through it, not through recycle which would be where its at. lemme know. thanks - MANIc. and boy.. good luck wit that ASRX, keep at it man, dont get discouraged at first and you will see how well this machine works.

To all ASR-X Pro owners out there! The ASr-X pro does have a function called "Xplode" that chops up a sample like Recycle. It's on O.S. 3.20. If there are any tech heads out there, let me know how to download my O.S. to diskette so I can transfer it to the net.

Back