Official Asr X/pro Discussion...

I dont think so man, the ADSR etc only works within the X i beleive, to be honest the X is a lot fatter and generally nicer sound than the 950 anyway, if you want it super grimey just sample in pitched up, works a treat

its funny how the ASRX and the XPro gets love, and is compared to the MPC, yet the RS7000, which is just as, if not MORE powerful than both machines (except maybe the 4000) gets hardly no love at all in Hip Hop...haha... silly humans. keep bangin!

da relic

slik da relic said:
its funny how the ASRX and the XPro gets love, and is compared to the MPC, yet the RS7000, which is just as, if not MORE powerful than both machines (except maybe the 4000) gets hardly no love at all in Hip Hop...haha... silly humans. keep bangin!

da relic

Silk, do u rock the RS? hoiws the sound and the sequencer? I was lookin into one ages ago, seems like they got a lot of nice features, I think with the ASRX's its the vintage appeal as well plus they do sound nicer than any other sampler I heard, if the RS has a good seq they would be a nice combo actually, hmmmmm

I got an important question hopefully yall can help...i have the black ASR-X and i also use fruity loops 5. in fruity you can take a drum loop from an old record or mp3 WHATEVER and use the fruity slicer to chop the drum break into pieces perfectly. like bass kicks hi hats and snares etc will all be seperated! i love this feature. my question is, can you do this in the ASR-X? much appreciated to all that read this, and i'm STOKED to see my man Frank Maniac on this board!! Maniac is a sick ass beat maker! he rocks a asr-pro nowadays i belive too:)

B Unit said:
I got an important question hopefully yall can help...i have the black ASR-X and i also use fruity loops 5. in fruity you can take a drum loop from an old record or mp3 WHATEVER and use the fruity slicer to chop the drum break into pieces perfectly. like bass kicks hi hats and snares etc will all be seperated! i love this feature. my question is, can you do this in the ASR-X? much appreciated to all that read this, and i'm STOKED to see my man Frank Maniac on this board!! Maniac is a sick ass beat maker! he rocks a asr-pro nowadays i belive too:)

Theres no auto slice function on the ASRX but you just copy the sample across the pads then alter the start/loop / end points and envelopes (ENV3) i love chopping drums on the X

I recently purchased an asr-x fully upgraded. it wasnt even that expensive, i got it, with a zip drive and a cd drive for 360! I came on here to read up about it and all i heard was the sequencer sucked, but i must say.. i have no idea what you guys are talking about. i never used another machine so i have nothing to compare it to, but the sequencer works perfect for me. ive been using it for maybe two or three months, and i already made a couple of beats i think are pretty good. anyways, long story short, i highly recommend this machine. It's real simple to dump into cubase track for track. thats how i mix my beats!

Thanks twinings for that tip when i get outa school here where im at right now im gonna take a drum break and try that thing out across the pads with the sample start/end function but another question is what does the Envelope function do especially ENV3??? ill mess with it but id like someone to explain. theres alot of things on the ASR-X that i have yet to figure out. my favorite feature is the sample start/end function tho! do they have that on MPC's??

YO Frank Maniac where ya at? you deleted your myspace! now i can't hear them nockin beats no mo!...

TrakNyce said:
The MPC "can" do it too but it's such a headache to even try to do it. The MPC pads are mapped in such a way that it's VERY difficult to get the right note mapped to the right pad, and have it as a playable patch from a MIDI keyboard. The ASR-X pads are already mapped like a keyboard so it's much more intuitive. The sample can be set to loop seamlessly, it escapes my memory at this precise moment, but I have done it before with a rock guitar patch I made. Of course most of my patches I get from other sources like Akai S1000 sound discs, Ensoniq EPS and ASR-10 disks. Or downloaded from various Ensoniq sound sites.

Actually its very easy to do on the mpc using autocromatic assignment.

I was rocking the XPRO for 3 years before I switched to the mpc world. I havent looked back since. The ASRxpro was dope but not at all as sick as my mpc2kxl...Although I do miss resampling

anyone know how to hook my ASRX PRO up to my PC so i can jack samples off it, or how i can hook REcycle into it, so i dont have to **** my sound and parameter knobs up? i got m-audio midi to USB connector, its not much but you think i could do it with that??? i hooked it in the other day and the comp said new hardware found, but had no idea what the **** it was.. thanks -manic

Last edited:
Yo Frank Maniac i know how i jack samples off your pc into your asr-x...i was doin it tonight. just get one of those big to little adapters for like a buck or two at guitar center or music store, for your regular audio cord so the big cord can fit into the small audio input on the back on the pc.

what you do is simple im sure you already know this but if you dont now you do! you take the cord and plug it into the "Phones" output on the ASR-X and plug the other end of the cord into the big to small adapter and plug it into the soundcard speaker output. simple, now you can jack all the sample you want simply by hitting the sample button on the asr and then play the sample on the pc. what i do is open up fruity loops and pick out the samples i want and when i find one just hit sample on the asr then click the mouse to play the sample in fruity loops. its basically just audio recording. the only problem i have with this(you might not on your pc) is that my computer makes a hissing noise, but it isnt that bad. tell me if this works for you

yeah thats what i do, I don't use fruity loops but thats how i sample to my asrxpro, because I have a gang of samples all on my pc.....thats the only way I know how...I believe there is an easier way to somehow just import multiple samples to the asr at the same time, hopefully I'll find out if this is possible. If not im cool wit my way now!

Or i think you could do it thru SCSI and have a SCSI to USB converter??? think about that..

all i need a scsi cable to hook up my cd rom drive to the ASRX and ill be loading a ****load of samples into it.. oh plus i need some more memory for it. right now i have my table hooked into it so thats good enough for me. but i want lots of sounds at once.. i just learned how to use recycle too. that **** is the ****in bomb for choppin samples up

with full memory how much can the black box ASR-X sample? i heard somethin like over a minute! cuz i got my ASR-X from a used music shop in Lansing Michigan and i dont know what operating system version i have or nothing...how do i tell??? It might be fully loaded tho cuz i seem to be able to sample for a long ass time! but can someone tell me how to tell what operationg system version plus sample time i have? thanks

nevermind i found the answer here http://www.geocities.com/asrxcite/asrx/tt_osversion.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
you mean to tell me fully maxed its samples can only total to a minute? so i can only have like 2 30seconds samples?

not the fully upgraded one, the fully upgraded ram can record up to 12 minutes or something unneccicary. YO serious question though. I do not understand the sequencer on this thing.. is each track a sequence? is each sequence a track? what the hell is goin on.. i can make a loop easy, but i want intro, breakdown and ****.. how do i make a track i have recorded into a sequence for the song mode???? somebody.... help...please.

you have to copy your sequences...edit them from there and put them in pattern mode to see how it sounds then put it in song mode if it sounds good

Back