Noob question about sound proofing and acoustical foam

juse

Is there a difference between soundproofing and setting up acoustical foam? What I mean is soundproofing a room the same as treating it?

My second question: I know there is no cheaper alternative to acoustical foam but what is the next best thing? Really thick foam?

Soundproofing can go as far as tearing down walls and treating the interior. Treating it can be associated with soundproofing but more than likely just implying the use of absorptions, bass traps etc. The cheapest way for sound treatment can be heavy rugs within your own house or some moving blankets but it really depends how you make use of it.

Thank you for the response fam, that made things much clearer.

What if I get some thick foam and have it upholstered? Can that work as a lower end alternative as well for acoustical foam?

I'm just trying to treat my bedroom as much as I can.

You can use any foam you want, but you just want to make sure that it has a high absorption coefficient and that the foam is a certain grade of fire proof so that you're room doesn't light up light a chinese firework stand. A higher coefficient means that it is going to absorb more decibels than it reflects. You also don't want it to be too high and totally suffocate the acoustics of the room. Use some rugs on the floor (if you don't have carpet) and foam on the ceiling as well. Also, look into making home made diffusers. Diffusers help prevent standing waves that may create unwanted frequency dips or peaks and are usually placed on the back wall that is parallel to the wall your speakers located on.

Placement of each of these is crucial and you may need to take measurements of your space and do some research before you start placing foam everywhere.

Sound proofing a room so that no noise is transferred through the wall is a totally different story. For this you would actually have to change the material of the wall and the interior structure of the wall itself so little or not vibrations are able to pass through.

The foam in furniture and stuff is not the same material as acoustical foam. The problem with foam is that it doesn't deal with the lower freq, that's why u need bass traps and other types of absorbers. If u got some basic tools, u can get make your own stuff cause its cheaper than buying premade stuff or foam kits.

Sound-proofing requires you to build structure within structure - you build a room inside a room. This is done so that there is no acoustic linkage between the inner and outer structures, as most noise that escapes from a room does so via structurally-borne routes.

Double glazing (inner and outer panes of glass or even triple glazing) are a must if you have to have windows that connect outside.

Treatment, on the other hand, is about reducing reflections (and therefore room borne reverb) and absorbing freqs related to the resonant dimensions of the room. These resonances can be reduced or even eliminated with the correct design of internal structure to ensure that no two parallel surfaces are allowed to face each. Putting in absorbers can actually serve to break up otherwise parallel surfaces.

consider the following:

roomStructured.png

the black is the outer shell
the red are angled side walls about 12[sup]o[/sup] from back to front
the blue is bass traps set at the front of the room
the green is angled rear walls about 6[sup]o[/sup]

as a direct result of this design there are no parallel surfaces within the room itself. Add a sloped ceiling and you eliminate the last possible source of parallel surfaces - a room that then only needs absorbers and diffusers added at strategic points to capture first reflection points

I can't afford any type of acoustical foam at the moment so I will have to improvise with what I can get. I was thinking of putting upholstered foam as bass traps in 2 corners of my room where my work station is.

My ceiling is already sloping but it is rather high. There is a bay window on the opposite side of my where I will work. In between is a bed.

My friend also told me to put mirrors where the monitors are pointing and put foam where ever the mirrors reflect. Can that also work as a way to know where to place the foam?

Also, can y'all shoot me some nice links on DIY stuff?

Back