Newbie in dire need of an education in the production world

so, yes, you describe what we call controllers - devices that generate midi data that the daw or other hardware synths use to make sounds

We all use midi if we are creating new note material in our daws and recording the data stream - it is the note date, the velocity data, the other control data.

Velocity is so named because of the way they decided to track how hard a key was pressed - a piano is capable of producing a wide variety of sound levels simply by changing how hard the key is pressed; this pressure, however is the result of how fast the key is actually pushed down. Electronically speaking we can measure the time it takes for the key to move from the off position to the on position and use that as a measure of the velocity or dynamic level with which the key was activated - shorter time greater velocity (which stands to reason - think about moving from point a to point b in traffic or on foot - the time taken and the distance covered is able to give you a measure of your average speed or velocity)

channel numbers are the midi channels 1-16; in standard GM we set channel 10 to be a drum track all others are open for deployment as you see fit

after-touch is where you can press down on the keys of certain keyboards and cause a modulation of the signal to be performed - you have to map after-touch to the specific part of the synth that you want to modulate and preset things like depth/intensity mapping as well - in most cases the after-touch is pre-mapped to pitch variation to mimic vibrato on strings and winds

the other continuous controllers can affect other aspects such as
1 - Modulation ~ assign to any synth parameter but usually vibrato rate
2 - Breath Controller ~ assign to any variable but usually a volume parameter much akin to the expression controller (CC11)
4 - Foot Controller ~ A pedal modulator similat to all of CC1, CC7, CC11,
5 - Portamento Time ~ the actual minimum time to move from note to note when the portamento switch is turned on CC65
7 - Main Volume ~ overall channel volume
8 - Balance ~ Controls the left and right balance, generally for stereo patches. 0 = hard left, 64 = center, 127 = hard right
10 - Pan ~ L-R stereo placement of a mono signal. 0 = hard left, 64 = center, 127 = hard right
11 - Expression Controller ~ crescendo/decrescendo control within the channel volume - think of it as fine volume control vs the coarse volume set by CC7 - this is how you create swells
64 - Damper pedal (sustain) ~ hold the notes played when depressed
65 - Portamento ~ turns on the portamento feature when depressed

information about CC8 taken from http://nickfever.com/402/production-tips-and-resources/midi-cc-list/

Last edited:
Wow midi is just as complex as I thought it was. Thanks a lot though man I'm gonna need a dictionary for some of that lol. What is the learning curve with midi? Or I guess a better question would be to ask you yourself what your learning curve was. Also to go back to a previous question I had about basslines interfering with kicks, what instrument do most producers use for that? I've tried sub woofer sounds but thats TOO much. I've played around with 808s and get a better result with that by tweaking the delay and sustain but I feel like most guys use a bass guitar sound? I really need clarification on this it can really help how I arrange tracks cause making a beat itself gets easier and easier for me but once I split the channels the hard part is arranging it without making it repetitive and boring when I listen to it. I know the basic song structure - Intro, Hook, Verse, Hook, Verse, Bridge, Hook2x, Outro. When I make a beat I start out by putting all the instruments I want in one pattern, then I make the melody then drums and whatever else I want then I split it and try to rebuild the channels in the structure of a song. Please critique my process guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aside from the MIDI CC, I have a few other resources that may help:
Just google "nickfever note frequencies" will probably be 2nd result.

There are a couple of blog articles as well.

HTH,
Nick

Back