Newbie in dire need of an education in the production world

Jerm97

Hey guys I've been making beats for about 3 months now and it seems like I have a billion questions. I look on here and I see a lot guys with vast production knowledge and vocabulary I would like to know any resources where I can take in this knowledge as well. As you can guess I use FL studio and while at times I can get my vision out with this program there are times when I would like to destroy it with a spirit bomb. I have read the manual but it pretty much only covers the basics that I already know. It's hard for me to understand how 9th, Young Chop, and Jon Jab, etc make such complex tracks with this program but I am progressing. Anyway I am slowly learning that to be successful in this line of work patience is a prerequisite. About how long is the average learning curve for most people with this program before they start to bang out some hot tracks. I've also discovered that mixing and mastering is not a strong suit of this program with the stock plugins any ideas about other vst plugins that are more efficient in this area? I am mew to FL and do not want to give up on it just yet. Thanks for any feedback

Just ask what youy wanna ask, my friend. People here are willing to help. I use FL Studio for my songs (although on a different genre as yours) but I think that technical knowledge is the same.

Thanks man I've been a long time reader of FP but just joined. But to piggy back off of what you said I've seen a few of the vets here can be pretty snobby when it comes to newbies I just wanna make music like everyone else here. But yeah I've been wondering how I can lay a bassline that blends well with my kick because I've learned that a simple way to avoid repetition and boredom in a beat is to have a bassline that alternates here and there and it can be used to seperate the hook and verse

Thanks man I've been a long time reader of FP but just joined. But to piggy back off of what you said I've seen a few of the vets here can be pretty snobby when it comes to newbies I just wanna make music like everyone else here. But yeah I've been wondering how I can lay a bassline that blends well with my kick because I've learned that a simple way to avoid repetition and boredom in a beat is to have a bassline that alternates here and there and it can be used to seperate the hook and verse

It seems you're having a problem of the bassline clashing with the kick, right? In fact there are some ways to make them work well together: 1) cut/roll-off the frequencies that both of them share or 2) sidechain compression

1) Get a spectrum analizer, and stick it to both the kick and the bass busses in the mixer. Then you'll identify where they share the same frequencies. now, stick a Parametric EQ 2 to the bass bus, and roll-off or cut those frequencies.

2) sidechain compression is a technique that makes a sound get compressed (lowered in percieved volume) when other sound is playing. To do that, I'll give three links, with different techniques:

How To Sidechain A Specific Frequency Range | How To Make Electronic Music

How To Sidechain With Fruity Love Philter | How To Make Electronic Music

How To Use Sidechain Compression In FL Studio | How To Make Electronic Music

I hope I helped.

Thanks man thats a lot of info! I'm away at ECU right now but I will be sure to check out all those links when I get home tomorrow night I've been needing this question answered for ages.

Thanks man thats a lot of info! I'm away at ECU right now but I will be sure to check out all those links when I get home tomorrow night I've been needing this question answered for ages.

That's ok, man! When you have time, check out the other tutorials on this website. The guy produces mainly on FL Studio, and he knows things.

Thanks for the insight. Also is there a way to change the pitch in a track as like a switch up for example without messing with the tempo or pitch of the rest of the track

Thanks for the insight. Also is there a way to change the pitch in a track as like a switch up for example without messing with the tempo or pitch of the rest of the track
I don't think FL Studio handles pitching like this naturally, without 3rd party plugins. I may be wrong, though. What I do is resample it on Harmor.

Your knowledge is more about music knowledge and production skills. The skills to operate FL will come along the way.
Be patient and work hard, every day!

Don't blast me lol but whats Harmor?
Harmor is a synth plugin created by Image-line (same company that created fl). It's main characteristic is the capability of resampling sounds, but also working as a normal synth. It's paid, though. You can buy it on image-line's website.

if your trying to change up part of a track while keeping others untouched you might want to learn automation.

grossbeat automation, master channel automation, and granulizer automation.

I have FL 11 Producer Edition registered does Harmor not come with it? And thanks on the automation looks like I got some research to do. Also you know how sometimes you a song and while the rapper is rapping over the beat the beat will stop then ick up where it left off I was wondering if thats something the producer does when laying the track in the playlist or if thats done by an engineer maybe?

you just gotta keep making beats honestly... and listen to other people's beats.. like listen critically for tips.. .. make sure your sounds are dope and work on your melody's that's all it takes

I have FL 11 Producer Edition registered does Harmor not come with it? And thanks on the automation looks like I got some research to do. Also you know how sometimes you a song and while the rapper is rapping over the beat the beat will stop then ick up where it left off I was wondering if thats something the producer does when laying the track in the playlist or if thats done by an engineer maybe?
It does come with Harmor, but its the demo version. You must purchase the full version, otherwise if you use it, it will constantly pause during your project and it will not reopen if you reopen the FLP.

i use transpose automation in ableton to change pitch midtrack without affecting the entire track or other tracks - fl may have a similar automation option - not sure but someone here knows....

Anywhere I can learn as much about MIDI as possible?

what would you like to know?

note numbers
channel numbers
velocity
continuous controller numbers and messages and impact
aftertouch

midi time code (MTC)
midi machine control (MMC)

these are the broad brushstrokes with which we control synths today and for the last 32 years

add midi file formats (MFFs) and you have the full range of what midi is about

controlling your sounds is about a combination of notes, velocity, and continuous controller manipulation

ask specific questions to get your head around individual areas of midi and its affect on your musical endeavours

Ok well to start I do know about midi pads and keyboards and that they allow you to play live within DAWs instead of clicking the notes in individually but thats about all I know about midi. I know one of my favorite producers 40 extensively uses midi. Is midi used to edit to edit sounds? I manipulate my note velocities within the piano roll if thats what you mean by velocity? And channel numbers do you mean midi channel numbers? Also what is aftertouch

Last edited:
Well where can I brush up on music knowledge? I plan on majoring in Communication with a concentration in Audio Production when I enter college this fall I would assume that will help me?

Back