new would like to know about midi

Y

yNotGenius

Hey ! I'm new on FP and a noob in Beatmaking! I'm also french so if there's any english mistakes, i'm sorry ! I always wanted to create beats, since my childhood I always was fascinated about beatmaking! A week ago I saw Blu & Exile (w/ Quelle Chris, Denmark Vessey and Johaz) in a show in Paris, and it was it... My passion came back ! As far back as I can remember, Exile was the one who made me want to create beat (listening Emanon, and Blu when i was 9-10yo)
I'm gonna buy a MPC soon, for the moment, I got iMPC... Kinda shitty, i know but it's just like that... I know it's going to be a long road on the path of knowledge and faith, and i already packed my stuff and put my walkin shoes on !

I wanted to start with what you say about MIDI ! Where can I learn EVERYTHING about it, from A to Z ? Any sites or else ? How can I learn about BPM, tracks, sequence etc ? The "theory part".

Once again sorry for my english, and thank you very much in advance, and peace from Paris!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would start with YouTube that's probably the fastest and easiest way to learn. Other than that you can always Google any questions you have. Some of my favorite sites I've used are Tweakheads.com: this site will teach you a lot about audio and different hardware/equipment. For piano lessons not so much theory I like pianogenius.com BeatGenerals.com have great beat making tutorials; but targeted for FL Studio users. And then AudioSchoolOnline.com run by the famous engineer ken Lewis (Google him) has a bunch of great tutorials on mixing and producing.

MIDI is such a broad topic that it is almost impossible to provide a simple overview in a 20000 character post

Your best bet is to search here at fp for posts on MIDI

The other issue is that I am not entirely certain that you understand the difference between MIDI and music theory in general: MIDI is a means for representing musical events in computer, music theory is an abstracted representation of the same musical events in a visual format that once the symbols used are learned becomes very easy to use as a tool. The same is true of MIDI events, though generally we abstract the tool use to the broad strokes rather than reading the individual event data - pitch bend wheel is pushed up pitch goes up, pitch bend wheel is released, pitch drops to original pitch, etc

There is a series of inexpensive pocket sized books one of which is called Basic MIDI by Paul white, the good thing about these books is their small size makes them quite convenient as you can read them while you are waiting around somewhere. There are also quite a few good books written about MIDI by R.A. Penfold.....other than that there is a lot of information to be found on the internet.

LOL what's there really to learn about midi?

It's just a way for one piece of equipment to communicate to another for instance keyboard to computer.

how do you manage portamento time and turning portamento on and off? - you need to use three MIDI continuous controllers (CC) to do that: 5, 65, 84....

how do you create an increase or decrease in volume over a group of notes? you need to use both the volume control (CC7) for coarse setting (set the absolute maximum volume generated) and the expression control (11) for fine settings, as well suing velocity messages to control gradations within the movement, to achieve this....

Two very specific uses of MIDI to control very real, very necessary, structural control

Back