New to the Forum, need help! MV-8800 or MPC5000

C. Barker

Hey guys Im an aspiring producer and in a few weeks I will be buying new equipment which I need help in deciding which one to use. It's between the MV-8800 and the MPC5000, I heard great things about the two and they are both in my price range. I did read the Just Blaze blog about him ranting on the MPC and how chopping up samples is hard to do but that aspect I can deal with, but at the sametime I heard a lot of good things about it as far as advancement. Both are in my price range so now I just need help choosing out of the two.

Also Im buying a new workstation too to go with either the MV or MPC, which one do you guys perfer. Here are my final 3:
Roland GW-8, Korg M50-61 or Yamaha M08.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thx in advance.

My best advice is stop reading and get to your local music store and demo both machines. You may find you hate them the same. I used to spend hours at Guitar Center.

Good luck.

Last edited:
mpc5000 has lots of known bugs. the mv-88 i used and the 5000 i used too. i prefer out of the 2 the mv-88. i have a korg m-50 88 key and i love her. i didnt like her at first cuz i didnt learn it. now i love her and would not give her up except for a m3. so naturally i will go with the m-50 the effects are good, lots of menus for editing and a touch screen.

@Cash - Thx man, I plan to hit up Guitar Center and Sam Ash this week to get personally know and use the two.

@Damayor - Yeah out of the 3 I was leaning towards the M-50. I seen a lot of videos and reviews and I like what im seeing. My main thing is to get the most realistic sounds and which one have the best sampling...which I can also use the MV or MPC for.

You may even think about going with an MPC2500 instead. Most stores still have MV's but they were recently discontinued. Hopefully that will work in your favor as far as pricing is concerned. That could free up cash for monitors if you don't already have any.

werent the mpc 5ks discontinued also? The MV 88k and the Mpc 5K imo are a lot of over kill. Get a 2500 and keep it movin

Like others said, go check them out first hand. But I would personally go for the MV. There are A LOT of features that it has that, from what I've read on the MPC5000, the 5000 doesn't have. The 5000 has the built-in modeled synth, but with the MV you're getting a sampler and a Roland sound module, which in my opinion is better than an MPC with a modeled synth. If all you're doing is sampling, then spending a lot of time with the two might be helpful, but if you're looking to do some composing then the MV would be a lot better and you might be able to hold on to some of that money that you're planning on spending on a keyboard workstation for a later time and just get a simple keyboard controller right now.

Just my opinion. I bought a MPC2500 (coming from a 2000XL) and, although I love it, wish I would have gotten the MV for around the sample price or less, for more.

the MV is a piece of sht

explain?

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

to the OP, is software route out of the question?

you can kill alot more birds with alot less stones if you got something like say......

reason + reaper

add a midi controller like a mpk and u'll have all the tools you were lookin for.......

jussayin.

Nope It's not really out of the question I have used Reason's a little in the past and I plan on using it a little more but I wanted to work more with hardware. I just feel more comfortable with using a sampler.

You're welcome Barker. Don't let any salesman talk you into anything. Just play until you feel like leaving. God those was the days. Going back and forth with other customers, the same was we do on FP. People catch feelings online but in person it's all love.
lol. Awww...man that's wack, nah man that's wack and so on. Nobody got mad. Okay I'm rambling now. lol

Carry on brother...remember have FUN!

Last edited:
Get the mv-88 or 8000. Its not just a sampler its a full on workstation. You could really make a complete album on this machine alone(if you know what your doing). You got vocal processors, mic modelling, just alot of features you might not use now but will use later once you learn the machine.

IMO the mv has the best sequencer and tools found in a HARDWARE workstation.

Now you could be like the majority and go with the akai hype, you could go the software route which totally blows both machines or you could get an mv.

Whiatever machine you get or if you go the software route stick to it and learn it don;t gear hop you;ll just waste time.

I personally love my mv-8000, its my main machine, no software. And I don't even have the vga,, once I get that i'd love the machine even more.

Last edited:
werent the mpc 5ks discontinued also? The MV 88k and the Mpc 5K imo are a lot of over kill. Get a 2500 and keep it movin

Not yet, but I would not be suprised if this did happen soon. For a while it was hard to get them because production had stopped until they worked out some issues. No one was ever clear what these issues were. I assume bugs and production. Now they are hipping again.

You are right in saying they are really overkill. I love MPC's to death but there really isn't much reason to spend 2 grand for a MPC5k other than obsession. I know one guy that bought it just to have it. But he still uses his MPC3k for everything.

Other than the added synths, simulation filters, and new look, what is different. Oh yea I forgot the ability to record to it, but in theory someone who has 2000 for a MPC is more than likely to have a DAW setup for this. JMO

You could always take a $1000 and build a beastly computer. Then buy Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase, or Studio One or Live. And spend the rest on an interface and a mic. Get your monies worth.

Last edited:
You could always take a $1000 and build a beastly computer. Then buy Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase, or Studio One or Live. And spend the rest on an interface and a mic. Get your monies worth.

Yea I'd advise this route, or the MV-8000/8800. Mpc's don;'t really justify the price, that's why I said its hype.

The MV may not have all the features of a Daw(some most ppl never use btw) but if you're creative you could get everything done on this piece alone, no computer necessary. And for the price they're going for these days, I'd cop one fast, I myself am going to get another MV just cause I love it so much, and its a good investment if anything ever happens to the one I use now.

It has a pretty distinct sound. If your familiar with the roland s series samplers, it pretty much sounds like that cause its the same engine.

As far as what I'd compare it to, I've never used a 2000, but to me it reminds me of an mpc 3000. But that's just me, I recommend you try it out first. Bring sample cds that your familiar with and test it out in the mv.

Last edited:
alright i might cop one next week idk its that or a motif. hmmmmm damn why did i have to be going thru a divorce or id just get both. the mv is looking tempting. i heard the sync on the mv"s are all messed up. any truth to that? like samples not looping right. hmmm i love my mpc and if i but its staying in the studio. they will be roommates but i feel i will use the mv more because of features.

Thanks guys, you all have been a lot of help.

Went to two different GC's in the last 4 days and the two workers I talked too gave a lot of information and details and both were leaning towards the MV-8800. I was able to play with the MPC 5K and I liked it but Im still leaning towards the MV a little (also because it has a built in CD Drive).

Now it's time for me to choose a workstation keyboard to go with the MV. Im leaning towards the Korg M-50, but when I went to GC I feel in love with the Fantom X6, it was amazing I loved it. This may not be the most popular idea but a few people I talked too liked it but what do you guys think if I get both the MV & Fantom. I know the Fantom have sequencers/samplers but I would love to use them both at the same time to have more options.

Last edited:
Im curious and these are the 2 Keyboards I am down too. What's the major difference between the two? And why do you perfer the M-50?

thx

Back