New studio in the works

witeboy1016

DJ Witeboy
Im planning on working on my studio, I currently sit in my room. Triple monitor setup and highend pc stuff. But Im looking for any advice on what monitors a beginner should look into!

I prefer passive monitors. But there are a variety of opinions (and I've got both passive and active speakers). I'd get one set of the best monitors you can afford, one set of home stereo speakers (decent, but not necessarily high-end), and the best quality set of headphones you can afford. This will give you some choices in monitoring, and also some "real world" listening (stereo set). Bonus if you get a $10 set of iPod speakers and work them into the system...

If you go passive, don't get a super-cheesey amplifier. A nice power amp would be ideal, but a decent stereo amp would be ok. Just don't settle for the lowest-priced Walmart brand, as you'll be defeating the purpose of good monitoring if you provide crappy amplified signal.

GJ

active speakers/monitors have built in amplifiers and crossovers
passive speakers/monitors have the amplifiers (and maybe the crossovers) external to the speakers

benefits of using passive come from no design compromises in either the amps or the enclosures to fit either a budget or a physical space and the fact that if something breaks you only have to buy a single, relatively cheap component instead of replacing both speaker and amplifier at the same time

Last edited:
Could you recommend one brand of active and one brand of passive? Which do you have in your studio?

I have Tannoy PROTO-J Studio Monitor Speakers (passive) first pair of monitors I ever owned since 2002/2003 can't remember. About two years ago I brought a pair ofYamaha HS80M with ZenPro both sets are on stands.

My questionis this I have the sony receiver onthe Proto-Js since I had them.

I like to use them as a secondary to the Yamaha as I don't like to turn them up super high but the Tannoy I push them.
I would like to remove the sony receiver and replace it with more suitable amplifier with a budget of $200 to $400

Last edited:
i use the KRK Rokit 8 (series) They are pretty good and not overpriced.
Anyway if you finish your song you should check your sound true different speakers and headphones.

3 Huge profits of active speakers
- No Additional Power Amps Required
- They don't Burn Out Your Mixer
- When you use powered speakers, the manufacturer has perfectly matched the power amps to that specific speaker.

Why doenst everybody use them
- They are heavyer
- More Expensive

So if you are really serious about your music i would go for the Active Speakers

Back