Need some help with acoustics

Pere

Being honest, i dont know much about acoustics - i hope somebody could give me some advices to avoid big losses in sound as i hear something is not right with bass espacially.

My studio monitors are M-AUDIO AV40:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioAV40.html

Here is a draft of my room.
2ivbkok.jpg

As far as my logic goes along with what i read about acoustics - the situation isnt good, and i can hear that i lose some frequencys, specially bass. Im asking for some help to maybe add some foam somewhere, put something behind the monitors etc. They are like 10cm (4") from the wall, but i dont like that they are in the corner. What can i do?

Last edited:
You have to face the long wall.Check out gik acoustics or real traps site for tutorial videos and just for an ideal placement.Foam will not be such an improvement for your acoustics.Build your own traps with better results and less money!

still like to know a few more things
  • room dimensions
    • width and length
    • wall height at sides
    • central roof height
  • are the gym equipment and wardrobe/commode locked in place?

you really do need to be facing the short wall for mixing and get yourself a chair - it will be better for your back and more effective all round for consistent ear height when mixing

The long wall is about 6 meters, shorter is arround 3. Height of the roof is 2.5m and goes down to 1m.

If its necessery i can move everything in my room - its all free standing.

Ps. between the bed and commode theres a window and a heater under it.

I would flip the position of the keyboard and the monitors. It would probably better to actually do that and then flip the entire room since there would be more symmetry on the other side of the room.
Would look to treat the corners with bass traps and around the room with thinner panels or diffusors to reduce the flutter echo in there, and look for panels at early reflection points.
Foam will not help with the low frequencies too much - you can see how broadband panels measure up against foam here: Comparing Acoustic Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps

Try and get in the middle of the length of the room - symmetry is your friend here.

actually not, 1/3 into the room length and 3/8 or so into the width of the room (not dead center as there are some nasty bumps that come from being at the midpoint of the resonant freq on that dimension)

Back